How to stop a low hook?

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
My miss off the tee with a driver is a low hook. I think my hands are too far behind and I’m trying to play catch up by flipping my wrists through impact. Any tips to stop this from happening? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first easy fix to try would be to open up the club face just a couple of hairs at the address position, before the start of back swing.

In my swing, my hands tend to close club face more than it was at the address position. This is why I start my back swing with a slightly open club face. Especially with my irons.

I figure if my hands are going to close the club face anyways, then why not give them room to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a shot.

I can only speak for me and my swing….
What causes me to do this is not enough body rotation and me using too much of an arm swing. I will release the club head early with a closed face, which reduces the loft and of course causes a pull hook.

My fix is body drills. Getting the face square with my body, not my hands. When I’m doing this I can release the club at impact.

More than likely it's a pivot issue that is causing an early flip rotational release. The backswing pivot needs to extend up away from the ball while stretching the left side from shoulder to hip. The transition is the left leg/hip pulling the left side around along with the lever assembly fully loaded.
It is easier to practice these elements with the wedges to get the feel of it before exporting it to the longer irons and driver.

That makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

I can only speak for me and my swing….
What causes me to do this is not enough body rotation and me using too much of an arm swing. I will release the club head early with a closed face, which reduces the loft and of course causes a pull hook.

My fix is body drills. Getting the face square with my body, not my hands. When I’m doing this I can release the club at impact.
Your issue is mine as well and this ^ is the key for me. Easier said than done sometimes, the hit impulse is strong.

Make sure you’re lower body starts to shift towards target at start of downswing allowing a path for the club head to come from inside, let your lower body/hips drive the downswing.

Low left hooks in my case is if I get too armsy in the downswing (little no no lower bottom movement). I need to let my lower body shift and hips rotate in the downswing, letting the arms come along for the ride. Good luck.

When I hit a waffle house swing ( Smothered and covered) with my driver. The next tee box I just grip the much harder like a 8 out 10 and it really slows my hands down for a few holes and then I forget about it and everything goes back to normal until the next one. But I think of it as kind of easy reset without having to change a bunch of thoughts.

Make sure you’re lower body starts to shift towards target at start of downswing allowing a path for the club head to come from inside, let your lower body/hips drive the downswing.

Low left hooks in my case is if I get too armsy in the downswing (little no no lower bottom movement). I need to let my lower body shift and hips rotate in the downswing, letting the arms come along for the ride. Good luck.

Yeah I don’t think I rotate my hips enough.

Not to pile on & honestly, I’ve not a clue what you’re doing to cause the hook. My hook came from the club head dropping behind me & just throwing my hands/club head at the ball. Now, this gives you a wonderful 2 way miss. Time the flip tooearly& it hooks off the planet, too late & it’s a huge block.
What I’m trying to do is pattern the club head in front of me, almost feels over the top. Or maybe think of the lower body making a lateral move rather than spinning.

Thank you for the tips! I've been fighting and the arm swing makes total sense... Have to engage the lower body

I had this exact thing happen a while back and it would be anything from a mid height draw to a low snap hook.
It turns out I was flipping my wrists at impact. Now I just feel like my wrist angle stays the same throughout my swing and just turn through the ball.

Is driver the only club you have trouble with or is it an issue with other clubs too? If not, what clubs?

How often do you hook the ball? Every time or is it just an occasional miss?

Based on your handicap, my guess is that it is a miss that is frustrating you from achieving your goals.

I have had the same issue in the past and would be happy to share my thoughts, but what worked for me may not be what you need.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Is driver the only club you have trouble with or is it an issue with other clubs too? If not, what clubs?

How often do you hook the ball? Every time or is it just an occasional miss?

Based on your handicap, my guess is that it is a miss that is frustrating you from achieving your goals.

I have had the same issue in the past and would be happy to share my thoughts, but what worked for me may not be what you need.

Looking forward to hearing more.

It's normally just my woods. Doesn't happen every time, but too often. And yeah this is what kills me. The rest of my game is all there, I just can't find a fairway to save my life.

In trying to reduce your tendency to hit that low hook there are several things to consider. Start direction and trajectory shape and height will help to narrow things down.

Are you hitting a pull or push hook?

is the ball starting low and staying low or diving while hooking?

Then it is always wise to assess your stance, ball position, tee height, grip and alignment to rule them out.

Next, your equipment should be assessed to make sure that you are playing with enough loft, correct lie angle, shaft length, weight, shaft stiffness and bend profile.

Finally your swing tendencies should be looked at. Do you lean the shaft forward and deloft the club at address? Is the club face closed or open? Are you hitting down on the ball? Are you trapping the ball? Where on the club face is your impact location? Heel or toe? Are you coming over the top?

There are many reasons why you might be hitting low hooks.

Some of the causes can be fixed very quickly by a change in your set up or equipment.

It may also require some swing tweaks.

But if you are hitting your irons well without hooking the ball I would look to see what is different between your irons and your woods.

As a 7 handicap, your swing ought to be consistent enough to narrow things down quickly.

If you have trouble diagnosing on your own, a short lesson and/or a driver fitting session might really help.

Alot of good info here. The ball starts on line and hooks hard left after maybe 50-75 yards. Ball starts low and hooks hard and fast.

I have extra stiff shafts in my driver, three wood, and hybrid. I do press my hands forward a tad before I take back the club.

Thank you so much for this info. I think you are probably right. I need a lesson and I need to have someone watch my swing and really figure out what I am doing. I'll see about getting one this week and keep y'all updated on my progress. Thanks again!

Alot of good info here. The ball starts on line and hooks hard left after maybe 50-75 yards. Ball starts low and hooks hard and fast.

I have extra stiff shafts in my driver, three wood, and hybrid. I do press my hands forward a tad before I take back the club.

Thank you so much for this info. I think you are probably right. I need a lesson and I need to have someone watch my swing and really figure out what I am doing. I'll see about getting one this week and keep y'all updated on my progress. Thanks again!

You’re right & as bad as I hate to say it, video will help a ton. Personally, I hate video, I feel like Hogan would puke watching mine.

You don't stop a low hook. A low hook runs forever!

Sorry I couldn't resist.:oops:

Last edited:
My miss off the tee with a driver is a low hook. I think my hands are too far behind and I’m trying to play catch up by flipping my wrists through impact. Any tips to stop this from happening? Thanks!

Now for something more helpful.

You could be right, but a video of a swing where you hit a low hook would help. I noticed two things in your post. First, you said you "think", which suggests you aren't sure. The other is that even if you are correct the next question becomes why are your hands too far behind? What is occurring in your swing prior to this point in the downswing that is causing you to arrive in that position? Because if you are correct the key to fixing this problem is to find and fix what is getting you into this position of your hands too far behind. Sequencing, balance, weight transfer, or swing path issues are just a few of the possibilities.

Last edited:
You don't stop a low hook. A low hook runs forever!

Sorry I couldn't resist.:oops:

You are exactly right. The only things that stops my low hook is the tree I’m hitting haha

As others have said, I’ll see if I can get a video and share it here.

In my experience, the best way to not hit a particularly shaped shot is to try to hit that particularly shaped shot on purpose.

I have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow. I’ll get some video and share it here.

I’ve posted here about this guy a few times. He does great stuff and his virtual instruction is some of the best I’ve encountered especially if you know what’s going on with your swing.

monte scheinblum. He has a drive for dough video that’s pretty dang good. Fairly inexpensive for what it covers.

Back