How to stop thinking about the final score? Or how to not let it impact your round?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
As we all know, the mental side in this game is important, and a lot of the issues we have are related to the human mind.

What I've noticed often is that if I play well in the beginning, I start to think about the end result and I often play a bad back 9. If I play so-so golf on the front and I "know" the PB or par round is lost, I play pretty well, since there's no pressure to perform.

I've played several times the back nine to par when the front has been like 40-45 shots. Yesterday I played the front nine -1, and I let the idea of a good final score enter my mind. I ended up playing the back nine +6.

Any tips on how to stop thinking about the final score, or any tips on how to not it let impact my performance if I think about the final score?

Ive had similar experiences. For me, keep score out of my mind hss helped the most. I focus on the shot, my routine snd my execution from tee to green. Then start over. The score wikl show up in the end.

Castor do you know how far down the line you have to think if you think about the final score. This is a huge undertaking from a mental stand point. The only shot that matters in the one in front of you. If you put the energy into that ONE shot that you do looking down the line, your results will be much better.

You aren't alone as most golfer play this way. The final score will be the final score no matter what your thoughts are, you just don't know what it is until you complete the round. So stay in the present, don't live in the past and let the future be what it will. You want to affect the future of the next round, play the next shot.

Been there before!

I'm not sure there is an exact way to get around this...we are all human, right? How I do it? When I'm playing well, and I know it....it comes down (to me) to keeping with my routine. I'm not changing the way I approach my shots, I'm not going to start playing extra conservative due to my score. However, I find myself playing to my strong suits, more. Meaning, if I come to a Par 4 that, usually I'd be pulling a driver so I can hit a small wedge into the green. Maybe now, I'm taking my 3 wood out, and hitting to a number I like, say 150. In this case, I'm taking the 1/2 or 3/4 shot out of my hands and making sure I'm taking a FULL club to the green instead....whatever distance that would be. Playing smart doesn't mean less aggressive, it just means I'm playing to my strengths, which should give me that much better shot at my PB, or an even lower score.

Castor do you know how far down the line you have to think if you think about the final score. This is a huge undertaking from a mental stand point. The only shot that matters in the one in front of you. If you put the energy into that ONE shot that you do looking down the line, your results will be much better.

You aren't alone as most golfer play this way. The final score will be the final score no matter what your thoughts are, you just don't know what it is until you complete the round. So stay in the present, don't live in the past and let the future be what it will. You want to affect the future of the next round, play the next shot.

I try to tell my self that I should focus on the next shot and only that, but I'd love for that kind of thinking be without having to force it. Usually it helps if there's a socially active group I'm playing in, lots of talk and I forget to think about the score. But even then, at a point, it becomes harder not to.

I'm working on it. I hope I'll find a good routine for this. I've become better in not dwelling in the past, and I can forget bad shots fast enough.

I'm thinking about taking a few more seconds in my pre shot routine, and concentrating on the landing area I want to hit the shot to, that should get my mind just on that shot.

Castor, first off let me say "Nice Handicap". You and I are playing different games for sure so I probably can't offer you too much, but this is what I got. I use my golfshot app and I don't look at my score. It is almost like a mindless act of muscle memory. Sure I put the strokes in, left, right or fairway. Penalty, Sands, and putts, but after I put it in, it's gone. When I don't use it, I put the same info on a card so I can put it in later, but then I let it go. Others in my group are constantly looking at their scores and comparing. They'll ask me what I have so they can compare my score to their or my score to what they have me down for. I'll tell them I don't know, and I don't want to know. I'll see it after 18. For me bogey golf is par golf, but I'm trying to eliminate the doubles and triples. By me not thinking about it I don't say well I got a double on that hole so now I need to par. For you it would be, well I got a bogey so now I need to birdie!! By not keeping it in my head I don't create that stress before I've even hit the shot. My misses are due to inconsistency in swing, not due to induced stress by me trying to force a shot that I shouldn't. Now I'm focusing on playing to a distance instead of getting as close to the green as possible or getting on the green in two on a par 5 and getting in trouble. By doing that, I'm focused on that shot, and not the overall score for that hole, the previous hole or the upcoming hole. Like I said, we are playing different games due to our skill set and we have different goals, but I hope that helps.

One option is to not write the scores down until you are done. Just play each hole and shot individually as best as you can and go for the best score on each hole. At the end just write them in and see how you did. If you don't know where you are at, it might not be an issue.

One option is to not write the scores down until you are done. Just play each hole and shot individually as best as you can and go for the best score on each hole. At the end just write them in and see how you did. If you don't know where you are at, it might not be an issue.

This is similar to what I would recommend.

I think every golfer goes through this, multiple times in their golfing life.

Easier said than done!!

Easier said than done!!

I love this excuse. It takes mental discipline and practice. If you make your self stay in the moment soon you won't have to, it'll be second fiddle.

This is a great topic and one I struggle with as well. I can't help but let my brain wonder to what could be. I need to figure out how to focus on one shot, but my brain always wants to think longer term.

I love this excuse. It takes mental discipline and practice. If you make your self stay in the moment soon you won't have to, it'll be second fiddle.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact! If it wasn't, vast amounts of people wouldn't be struggling with it and people wouldn't be writting posts about it. Everyone knows you think about one shot at a time, but saying it and doing it are two completely different things to the vast majority.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact! If it wasn't, vast amounts of people wouldn't be struggling with it and people wouldn't be writting posts about it. Everyone knows you think about one shot at a time, but saying it and doing it are two completely different things to the vast majority.

You give the average golfer a lot of credit. Most don't know one shot at a time or even think along those lines. It's not something learned when starting out.

Most golfer pick a club, swing and hope. Or they think about the latest equipment. Very few even think about the mental side of the game. And the mind is stronger than you give it credit. If you make a conscious decision to play the next shot it will be come habit. You have to work at it like anything else in golf. It's actually easier than learning a new swing.

You give the average golfer a lot of credit. Most don't know one shot at a time or even think along those lines. It's not something learned when starting out.

Most golfer pick a club, swing and hope. Or they think about the latest equipment. Very few even think about the mental side of the game. And the mind is stronger than you give it credit. If you make a conscious decision to play the next shot it will be come habit. You have to work at it like anything else in golf. It's actually easier than learning a new swing.
So if I am plagued by over thinking, what are some ways I can work to stop that and focus just on the next shot? also, shouldn't it be two shots ahead to make sure you put yourself in good positions? any tips are appreciated.

So if I am plagued by over thinking, what are some ways I can work to stop that and focus just on the next shot? also, shouldn't it be two shots ahead to make sure you put yourself in good positions? any tips are appreciated.
not the panda but ill throw in some words. its similar to the op so I dont feek like we are thread jacking :).

I am plagued with being a constant "thinker". im always over analyzing everything. just ask the wife. To piggy back freddie. as many golfers spends countless hours and money on their swing snf equipment how much does one spend honing their mental part of the game? it takes such practice to get to that level. its not something that u just do, just like any other part of the game you have to work at it.

I started on 3 or 4 holes at a time. focused solely on the shot ahead of me. after I made it through 4 I went to 5 and thus far.

when im on the range I mimic the exact same routine. I dont over analyze ball flight or distance. I pick a spot and go through the routine.

it took some time, but I seriously can forget the shot right after I hit it. I have alot of "triggers" in my game. they all put my mind in a sense of repetition.

the great thing about your mind is you can control it. there are many many books on this, but ive found it easier to find my own way. try focusing on the shot, after you hit it get and idea of what the next shot is and think of that. if you just hit into a bunker, dont start deep diving why the ball went there focus on how your going to get out. In between holes I look at scenery, maybe the cpurse layout. I have forgotten almost everything by the time im hitting my next shot.

This is an honest question, do you have the skills to pull off the first shot to think about the second? Serious question not a statement. I'm talking in a consistent basis. If you need to be in the left side of the fairway to get a right back pin, can you pull it off?

If you can't then your focus is in the drive and putting it down the middle. That should be the only thought. What will it take to gut this fairway. No that might be a list of things like stance,grip and posture but that is all. Don't think about where not to hit it or what happens if I miss. Also don't think about shots you can't hit. Just think about hitting that ball off the tee as solidly as you can.

Have a mental check list for each shot. Once those items are checked off, pull the trigger. If you miss or make the shot there is nothing more to be done. Pickup your tee and head to the next shot. Shoot the breeze between shots, puff in your cigar, take a drink or a snack. Just occupy yourself til such time you have to think about the shot.

This is an honest question, do you have the skills to pull off the first shot to think about the second? Serious question not a statement. I'm talking in a consistent basis. If you need to be in the left side of the fairway to get a right back pin, can you pull it off?

If you can't then your focus is in the drive and putting it down the middle. That should be the only thought. What will it take to gut this fairway. No that might be a list of things like stance,grip and posture but that is all. Don't think about where not to hit it or what happens if I miss. Also don't think about shots you can't hit. Just think about hitting that ball off the tee as solidly as you can.

Have a mental check list for each shot. Once those items are checked off, pull the trigger. If you miss or make the shot there is nothing more to be done. Pickup your tee and head to the next shot. Shoot the breeze between shots, puff in your cigar, take a drink or a snack. Just occupy yourself til such time you have to think about the shot.
Usually yes I can pull it off. my main concern is distance, I.e. playing to a layup yardage, and don't think as much about angles into pins, but maybe I should. going to try and work on one shot at a time tonight in league and not knowing what my score is. will see how it goes.

I'll be perfectly honest, keeping myself thinking about just the shot I'm hitting has been difficult. My mind starts to wander forward thinking about what my final score could be. What I need to shoot finishing out the round to meet a PB. The mental part of the game is particularly challenging for me. Just takes work just like the rest of the game.

Interesting thread. My best round of this year happened after two doubles in the first four holes and someone else keeping score. Kept the conversation moving, never even thought about my score after the second double bogey.
Usually I keep score. I think about the second nine after I add up my first nine. Doesn't serve me well.
I just try to hit fairways off the tee, and two putts on the greens. Approaches from desirable distances. And I always want to shoot the breeze.
Doesn't always work, but not keeping the scorecard has done me well this seasen

Not thinking about where NOT to hit is great advice. I'm so guilty of it sometimes and it usually gets me into trouble. If I concentrate on a hazard or trees etc and think ok let's not hit it here, I usually do hahaha. Ive gotta remind myself to focus on where I actually want to end up and lock in on that spot

There's a part of this discussion I just don't get and never have. When I hear people say that they don't want to know where they stand score wise, or in a match because it might distract them, I just don't get it. What the heck does that have to do with the shot you're facing. For most that have golfed for many years, there is no way that you don't know where you stand anyway. I mean, if I'm coming into 9 at 1 under or 2 over or whatever, I know that even if I'm not keeping score. If I'm coming into 17 with a chance a new PB, I know that too. It's hard not to keep something as simple as plus/minus out of your mind. That's not the problem. The problem comes if I'm thinking about, holy hell, how can I par these last two holes for the PB, because if I am, I'm certainly not thinking about how I'm going to hit this next shot where it needs to go.

Listen to Freddie. Try to develop the mental discipline, and the pre-shot routine that keeps you focused on the shot at hand. It's as Rotella says, it's a just a golf shot, no more or less important than the last or the next. Just my OP.

Man, this is such good advice, and I struggle so hard with it. On the first 5 holes of the back last Thursday with Jholl in a Seemore pre-round, I was -1. I was thinking 73 and a new PB. Boggied the last 4 holes to shoot 77. Will definitely put this into more practice.

JM

I think knowing your score or position in a match is key. You don't have to dwell on it but knowing is a good thing. You can use your score to your advantage. Your score can determine your next play. But if you have played 5 holes that is your score, thinking 3 holes a head won't change your score. So stay in the present

Man, this is such good advice, and I struggle so hard with it. On the first 5 holes of the back last Thursday with Jholl in a Seemore pre-round, I was -1. I was thinking 73 and a new PB. Boggied the last 4 holes to shoot 77. Will definitely put this into more practice.

JM

But you aimed low, if I'm under par my swings get agrees ice my lines get aggressive and I try to go as deep as I can. I'm not thinking I might make a few bogies. That preset your score. Instead you should have played and been excited about the 77

I've definitely been in that mental headspace where I've shot a nice front 9 and think too much about "what I can shoot" instead of giving my total focus on the next shot at hand. It's easier said than done, but Freddie's posts are spot on...stay in the moment.

Back