How to Survive a Lightning Strike

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw this image on twitter... Made me wonder a few things;

1- How many of you are out there doing this saying 'screw the lightning it's fine'?
2- How many of you run at the first sight of Lightning?
3- How many of you already knew all these things below?
4- What is your closest call with lightning?

1618491973350.png

1- How many of you are out there doing this saying 'screw the lightning it's fine'? Nope...
2- How many of you run at the first sight of Lightning? YEP
3- How many of you already knew all these things below? Not all of them, but some.
4- What is your closest call with lightning? I have watched two people get hit by lightning in my life. One was fatal.. I don't play the radio...

One thing. There is literally not time for this. happens so fast.. Really not time for any of it. So just leave..

1618492620128.png

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." Lee Trevino

I don’t take unneeded risks with it, mainly because it’s usually also pouring rain at the time, but if that’s how I’m meant to go out, struck by lightning on a golf course? I can think of worse (and have nearly accomplished a couple of them) ways to go.

That almost looks like the nuke drills we did as kids. It’s meant to get your lips as close to your ass as possible so when it comes time, you can just kiss it goodbye.

Good information, Dan. I learned a lot from that infographic.

My close call with lightning came as I was holding our two-week old daughter as we were watching the weather for information about severe storms passing through our area. We heard an incredibly loud noise which could only have been a lightning strike. My wife said she saw a flash of light in the fireplace, about five feet from where I was standing. I ran to the front door in search of flames on the roof. Instead, I saw a few pieces of brick still falling to the ground. People up and down the street lost light bulbs and microwaves. We lost nothing but the top of our chimney and a few holes in our roof, which was replaced. Since then, I head inside whenever I see the first flash.

I'm not overly cautious about it, I'd say. If it's in the distance, no biggie. As the thunderheads roll closer, as Smiter pointed out, I'm probably under shelter of some form from the pelting rain already.

I have a buddy, who, upon seeing the first flash, is gone like the wind.

Good information, Dan. I learned a lot from that infographic.

My close call with lightning came as I was holding our two-week old daughter as we were watching the weather for information about severe storms passing through our area. We heard an incredibly loud noise which could only have been a lightning strike. My wife said she saw a flash of light in the fireplace, about five feet from where I was standing. I ran to the front door in search of flames on the roof. Instead, I saw a few pieces of brick still falling to the ground. People up and down the street lost light bulbs and microwaves. We lost nothing but the top of our chimney and a few holes in our roof, which was replaced. Since then, I head inside whenever I see the first flash.

Smart. I am not that. I have an uncle that saw someone bite it from lightning on a course. He’s terrified of it and will run for cover the first sign.

I’ve spent so much time outdoors that it really doesn’t bother me much. I’ve had a couple nearby trees get hit and my car (if that car is still running there’s probably still a brown stain on the seat) with a direct strike. I’ve also seen a dozen dead cows from one strike all under the same tree. I’ve seen that a couple times as an old farm boy.

I'm not overly cautious about it, I'd say. If it's in the distance, no biggie. As the thunderheads roll closer, as Smiter pointed out, I'm probably under shelter of some form from the pelting rain already.

I have a buddy, who, upon seeing the first flash, is gone like the wind.

I will point out that I am not that buddy. Bring it! I’ll be hiding from the rain anyways. Way bigger of a killjoy than a stupid one in 100k electrical death chance.

I will point out that I am not that buddy. Bring it! I’ll be hiding from the rain anyways. Way bigger of a killjoy than a stupid one in 100k electrical death chance.
Nah, it's an old college buddy. One time we didn't even see him go. We saw some lightning, continued putting, and "Poof" he was gone.

League play last Saturday, it started to rain a bit on the first hole. After I hit my approach, the wind picked up and clouds got darker.
Lining up my putt, a huge crack of lightning not too far away.
I picked up and left. Not worth it.
The lightning and rain continued for a while, so it was a while before play resumed, but I was gone by then.

Yeah no if there's storms in bot even outside haha thankfully in NJ we don't get get lightning storms out of no where

I do not mess around with lightning. No need to wonder how to survive it.

I figure some on here would shield their clubs first.

Here in Ohio, lighting is a common thing, so most people have a decent Spidey-sense about it. the closest I've come to a strike was when I was laying in bed one night. The room lit up light a flashbulb had gone of and at the same time a "Ka-BOOM!!!" sounded, so it had to be a close one.

Remove your watch, wedding ring, etc.?

I'm a run for the hills guy. No need to mess with it.

I have been knocked over by from the shock wave of lightning that struck a tree close to me. Here in the Rockies, we get a lot of lightning with convective systems. I get the heck out the firing zone when the conditions setup.

Yeah no if there's storms in bot even outside haha thankfully in NJ we don't get get lightning storms out of no where

Ours build up too.

Was picking up my kid from golf practice when he was a freshman. It had been building all afternoon. He’s teeing off on 8 (about 200 yards from me) when a huge strike hits close enough he should have run towards the parking lot as did the rest of his foursome. The winds kicking up now as it’s blowing in. Never heard me yelling “get your ass over here” (might be willing to risk my old and perfectly happy to die on a course ass, but not his 13 year old ass). Played 8 488 yards away from me and 9 500 yards coming back. Watched him make a birdie putt on 9 from 12 Ft or so.

I yelled at him when he got back. “What TF were you thinking??”

“Dad if I made par on 8 (4) amd birdied 9 (5) I shot even”. He did that and it was his first even par 9. No close strikes but lightning all over.

Here in Ohio, lighting is a common thing, so most people have a decent Spidey-sense about it. the closest I've come to a strike was when I was laying in bed one night. The room lit up light a flashbulb had gone of and at the same time a "Ka-BOOM!!!" sounded, so it had to be a close one.

That is the last story I ever wanna hear about you lying in bed one night.

Thank you sir! Good day!

My experiences hiking, camping, diving, and lifeguarding have taught me not to mess with lightning. If you can hear/see it, I’m pretty much out.

No close calls, but just a few days ago we experienced the single loudest clap of thunder I’ve ever heard. Sure enough, lightning hit the mansion on the top of the hill about a quarter mile from our house. It started a fire and the chimney looked like it had partially exploded. Stuff like that will teach you to respect it pretty quick.

My experiences hiking, camping, diving, and lifeguarding have taught me not to mess with lightning. If you can hear/see it, I’m pretty much out.

No close calls, but just a few days ago we experienced the single loudest clap of thunder I’ve ever heard. Sure enough, lightning hit the mansion on the top of the hill about a quarter mile from our house. It started a fire and the chimney looked like it had partially exploded. Stuff like that will teach you to respect it pretty quick.

But if you just jump really high at the exact moment of the strike, you should be ok?

I’ve always lived by this. I can’t jump really high but I can get my feet off the ground. So I have a chance. 🤣

I am very careful when it comes to lighting and I do so because of the close call I had several years ago.
I was out on my boat with my dog when a storm rolled in. I headed for the dock right away because the clouds looked real nasty and I could lighting in the distance.
The dog and I were headed for the camper when I felt the hair on the back of my neck start to rise. Before I could hit the ground a bolt hit a tree about 50 feet from me.
The flash and the clap knocked me to the ground and sent the dog howling and running to the camper. My ears rang for a few minutes and it really scared the crap out of me.

1- How many of you are out there doing this saying 'screw the lightning it's fine'? If it's way in the distance maybe but once it starts getting within a few miles then nope
2- How many of you run at the first sight of Lightning? See above
3- How many of you already knew all these things below? I knew some but not about touching your heels together
4- What is your closest call with lightning? I personally haven't had one but my sister was working at a club a few years ago in their halfway house on the back 9. Weather came in quick and lightning struck a huge oak tree about 10 yards away. She said all she could see was white for a few seconds and it was super loud. It actually blew a hole right through the center of the tree that you could look through. Somehow it survived which was nice since it was one of the biggest and oldest trees on the course.

I think Lightning has a way of creating very reasonable fear, but it seems more storm dependent for me personally.

If it's up in the clouds doing the sheet lightning thing, I'm not too particularly concerned about it (although I'm not doing anything outside if it's directly overhead). There's something about a random lightning strike anywhere near me that sends me into a "HELL NO!" mentality haha

About two decades ago I was hanging out in a Gazebo by a lake, enjoying a storm. All of the sudden I hear "TICK TICK" and then BOOOOOOOOOOM as the Lightning struck either a tree above the gazebo, or the structure itself. Have never experienced anything like it, and have infinite respect for singular strikes after that. Came out of NOWHERE.

Back