How to use a rangefinder with shakey hands..

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
After a response in a separate thread where I said I knew a technique for scanning flags even with the shakiest of hands, I have been getting a bunch of Private Messages, so this is obviously a concern of many here on THP. So I thought that I would give you guys the technique that I use, which has never failed me. Because of my accident, I have nerve damage in my arms, so my hands shake pretty violently when I'm trying to be still, so I believe that if I can hit a flag from 300 yards out, anyone should be able to do it.

The first thing that you have to figure out is how to use the active search mode on your particular rangefinder. I've used 3 different ones and they all have had this option, although they all work a little different. I have the cheap Kick-Butt Rangefinder, so mine is fairly easy. I turn on the pinseeker mode and when I hold down the button to get a yardage constantly, it's in active search mode. It will continuously scan for yardages, but only shows the shortest yardage in the rangefinder that it has scanned. Finding how how to use this function on your rangefinder is the most important part of this process.

Once you're in active search mode, you simply start to the left or right of the flag and scan back and forth across it a couple times. Since the flag is hopefully the closest thing to you, it should display the distance to the flag, even though you've scanned across many yards. By moving across the flag, you're not stuck trying to hit the button one time and hit it with a single laser beam. I have found that this method works for me out to at least 300 yards consistently and I can pull a yardage in less than 10 seconds every time.

Great tips. It's funny that you mention the active scan mode. I've got a tremor that pops up from time to time and I've actually found that the "pin seeker" mode is especially a godsend when all I can do is keep the rangefinder in the general area of the pin.

My buddy could never use a rangefinder until he got the one that vibrates when you lock on. He loves it!

Thanks for posting this. I've had hand tremors since my early 20s & had given up on owning a range finder. I'll have to give this a shot.

Prone supported firing position. Use your bag as a rest.

That's what I have always done. Of course mine is so old it doesn't have pinseeker.

Just aim at the hill behind the green and start moving it back and forth across the flag until the yardage drops.

Prone supported firing position. Use your bag as a rest.

Another great arm rest is to use the steering wheel on the cart if you are riding, but the bag works if walking.

I'll pull both elbows into my sides and sort of create a tripod with my arms while holding the rangefinder. That works pretty well if you are standing upright.

This may sound funny but when I started wearing glasses I had to find a new way to hold my rangefinder because I could no longer anchor it to my eye. What I do now is anchor the palm of my right hand on my lower teeth. I also use my left hand to steady it by placing that palm against my left cheek. When done right it is solid as a rock.

Back