How Well Do You Play In The Rain?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
The title pretty much says it. Myself I'm not a good player in the rain, I tend to loose my focus and when the grips on my clubs start getting wet everything goes south. So how well do you play in the rain.

Last edited:
I live in Scotland, so the rain holds no fear for me! I don’t mind it at all, as long as it’s not coming in sideways under the umbrella and freezing cold. Then it tests my commitment to the game.
Spare glove in the bag and wipe the grips after every shot with a dry towel and good to go.

I live in Scotland, so the rain holds no fear for me! I don’t mind it at all, as long as it’s not coming in sideways under the umbrella and freezing cold. Then it tests my commitment to the game.
Spare glove in the bag and wipe the grips after every shot with a dry towel and good to go.

Being a huge fan of The Open and love watching it every year and seeing how much the weather can effect play I can well imagine that you would have to be good at coping with the weather. I'm a spoiled golfer and love playing in good weather, don't think I could adjust well to the weather conditions over in your neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind my asking what are the courses you would play around Aberdeen? (y)

Once my hand/glove gets wet I'm a lost cause. It make me either loosed grip or hold on so tight I can't get through the ball well. Playing on a wet course is less of an issue, but wet hands are a nemesis of mine.

Being a huge fan of The Open and love watching it every year and seeing how much the weather can effect play I can well imagine that you would have to be good at coping with the weather. I'm a spoiled golfer and love playing in good weather, don't think I could adjust well to the weather conditions over in your neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind my asking what are the courses you would play around Aberdeen? (y)
Don’t mind at all dude, ask away.
I’m a member at Newmachar, so that’s my home course where I play most. But I have a good friend who’s a member at Royal Aberdeen so I play that a bunch throughout the year as well. But...and this is where you’ll hate me...I have a load of clients who have corporate membership at Gleneagles and St Andrews so I get to play there a couple of times a year as well. We are so spoiled up here for places to play.

Don’t mind at all dude, ask away.
I’m a member at Newmachar, so that’s my home course where I play most. But I have a good friend who’s a member at Royal Aberdeen so I play that a bunch throughout the year as well. But...and this is where you’ll hate me...I have a load of clients who have corporate membership at Gleneagles and St Andrews so I get to play there a couple of times a year as well. We are so spoiled up here for places to play.

I can well imagine. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Hope you hit'em straight and long. (y)

I can well imagine. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Hope you hit'em straight and long. (y)
No thanks needed at all, ask anything you want, always happy to chat golf!

No thanks needed at all, ask anything you want, always happy to chat golf!

I've just been looking at the websites for Royal Aberdeen and Newmachar. That fly through video of Royal Aberdeen makes that course look amazing. Makes me wish I could be there sometime to give it a try. ;)

I've just been looking at the websites for Royal Aberdeen and Newmachar. That fly through video of Royal Aberdeen makes that course look amazing. Makes me wish I could be there sometime to give it a try. ;)
The course is unreal, is a bit of a pussycat if the weather is kind but if the wind gets up then it is an absolute brute! Played there earlier this year and was striking the ball better than I ever have and still only just broke 100. The rough is brutal and into the wind is enough to break your heart ?

The course is unreal, is a bit of a pussycat if the weather is kind but if the wind gets up then it is an absolute brute! Played there earlier this year and was striking the ball better than I ever have and still only just broke 100. The rough is brutal and into the wind is enough to break your heart ?

Just looking at that course I imagine that 125 would be a heck of a round for me. You have my appreciation sir, for taking the time to share your golf courses with me. ;) (y)

Rain around here is some what rare, when compared to other parts of the country. When it does happen, it's usually associated with thunder, and lightening. I don't play in thunder storms.

I have played in rainy conditions before. Probably cost me 5-7 strokes.

Surprisingly well, especially when completely water logged. I think it has to do mostly with your state of mind. If you turn the switch in your brain back to being a kid and playing in the rain...it actually becomes fun.

No problem at all for me in the rain, sometimes i feel as though my concentration is actually better.

My game doesn't change much. Though you sort of have to be prepared to play some rain rounds here or else you'd stay home all spring and fall.

Buy yourself a pair of FJ Rain Gloves. If it is the only piece of rain gear you own, you still will be ok. The wetter they get, the better they grip the club. It is crazy.

If it is a tournament I welcome bad weather, it eliminates people because they don’t want to play in the rain.

Not as bad as I thought, but it all depends on how bad the rain is. I have played with the water dripping off my hat so bad, I could hardly see to hit the ball.

Good rain gear makes all the difference in the world. A decent pair of gloves and and rain jacket is really all I need to be ok. It’ probably costs me a few strokes, but the fun is still there if I’m playing with the right people. I don’t play in crap weather alone.

I am fine. I wear my rain jacket and Footjoy rain gloves. I play in every condition since I live on my home course and just walk out in the backyard too get a few holes in. I have learned to deal with it all. The wierdest condition is going out after several days where it has gone under 20 at night and playing. The gorund is frozen about 1/4" below the surface. The sun warms the surface, but the under is frozen. It is hard to get a tee in the ground and balls really bounce and roll on the greens.

I am fine in light rain. Throw on some rain gloves and wipe grips with towel after each shot. Heavy rain I am leaving. Not so much because how it affects my game. I just hate being poured down on.

haven't played in the rain yet...finished my round just before it hit the other day.

For me it depends on the temperature and how hard it's coming down. I had a great round last year when the temperature was in the upper 80s and it was a light rain. We walked the course with umbrellas on the push cart and were the only ones out there. I had music going on the sound chuck and just played.. It was fun. Now if it is cold or pouring down raining I would not be out there!

Even though I don't particular enjoy rounds in the rain I've started getting better at them. Using a good pair of rain gloves has helped a ton. My biggest issue is trying to keep my glasses clean throughout the round. If I didn't wear glasses those rounds would probably be more enjoyable.

In a drizzle or very light rain I find it very relaxing and usually play better than normal. Anything more than that and I won't bother playing, too much of a hassle to try and keep everything dry.

Heavy rain bugs me, it gets in my head and I can’t do it.

if it’s a constant light rain or sprinkling I’m good and can adjust with multiple gloves, towels, and an umbrella.

that being said I rarely play in the rain. Weather is fairly temperate for me so year round golf means I can be picky

I don’t mind rain. As I posted in another thread, I shot my low score in the rain. I think it had something to do with lower self-imposed pressure.
Rain jacket, gloves, MCC grips and an umbrella... good to go!

Back