How Will 2020/2021 Champs be Remembered?

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
In MLB, NBA, and if college football only plays conference games or however it all works out, how will you remember the champs? Will there be an asterisk or are they champs just like every other year because other teams had the same opportunity to win it all just like they did?

It's an asterisk kind of year

If the NBA plays out in the bubble down in Orlando, it’s tough. It should in no way minimize the accomplishment of winning a championship, but at the same time, there’s nothing like the challenge of having to go on the road and win in the playoffs.

If the Sixers win the bubble championship there will be no asterisk on my celebration or the boatload of championship gear I buy!

If the Sixers win the bubble championship there will be no asterisk on my celebration or the boatload of championship gear I buy!
LOL nor should there be! it's still a championship*

* ;)

The 2020 Disney World Bubble Tournament Champions apparel will be a hot item, I'm sure. :LOL: . I just hope that they get to crown a champion.

I can’t recall the last strike shortened season in major pro sports, but were there asterisks on those championships?

The 2020 Disney World Bubble Tournament Champions apparel will be a hot item, I'm sure. :LOL: . I just hope that they get to crown a champion.
Agreed (on the crowning a champion)! They seem to be doing a good job keeping the bubble tight. If you haven’t seen it, Matisse Thybulle (76ers rookie) has been posting videos from inside the bubble and they’re entertaining.

I don't think the NBA will be an asterick unless a major start catches Convid and has to sit out. They played most their season. We know who the best teams are. Like most years there is no more than 3-4 teams that can win it. It really will come down to someone super important coming down with it.

Football we have no clue until we see if they actually play. If they play most the season then no it won't be. But if it is 10 games or less then it probably will be.

Baseball for sure will be. 60 games of baseball is a crapshoot. Nationals were under .500 halfway through last year.

I can’t recall the last strike shortened season in major pro sports, but were there asterisks on those championships?

The 1999-2000 NBA season began in February of ‘00 after a lockout. They played a 50 game season with full playoffs. No asterisk for the Spurs first championship that season.

Likewise no asterisk for the Dodgers 1981 championship in that strike interrupted season. However, they did play more than 60 games that season. Strike was in middle of season.

And the NFL had Super Bowl Champions in strike interrupted years, including where they played games with replacement players. No asterisks for those titles.

Last edited:
The only way I will put an asterisk if the best player gets taken out because of COVID. If it significantly impacts the play it will feel weird.

The only way I will put an asterisk if the best player gets taken out because of COVID. If it significantly impacts the play it will feel weird.

If Covid has effect on the games , not as to the number of games ultimately played, but as to who is able to compete, then you may well see the championship, if one is awarded, diminished. I’m thinking if one of the top players is sidelined because of the virus or if a team loses several key players.

Back