How would you handle this?

I am not looking for a fight BUT I am not letting that go. Whether I call the proshop or address is directly it would have been dealt with.
You want to throw a tantrum fine but when it rises to the level where randoms are getting hit with Broken **** is my limit.
While I generally agree, had my windshield been down and I been hit by more, it definitely would have changed the status quo and escalated a little more. I had my left leg hanging out of the cart and a piece flew into my leg, not hard enough to cut me, but enough to get my attention.
Maybe. Odds are his playing partners know he’s an a-hole. I’ve seen a group totally not defend someone that’s done something stupid before. I’ve also had the entire foursome ready to kick my butt before too. So probably wise to not say anything. But it likely wouldn’t have been 4-1.

Plus apparently you’re a Giant? 🤣
I'm 6-4 270, he's 6ft'ish and a buck fifty, I have professional career, he does not. There is no situation if I win that I actually win. I've got more to lose by winning or losing in a physical match.

As much as I would like to use a 6 iron on a kneecap, You never know when a nutter is carrying. An anonymous call to the clubhouse is probably the answer.

Thinking on this, I very seldom carry while golfing, that’s because I like to have the option of having a drink or three.

My earlier comment was assuming I wasn’t carrying. I’m much more polite when I’m carrying and wouldn’t have said anything in that situation and instead handled it like @Qwkz51

Thinking on this, I very seldom carry while golfing, that’s because I like to have the option of having a drink or three.

My earlier comment was assuming I wasn’t carrying. I’m much more polite when I’m carrying and wouldn’t have said anything in that situation and instead handled it like @Qwkz51
What does "carrying" mean?

In Canada we just drop the gloves and have at er.

I’m usually ok with that option, but I avoid confrontation that could lead to a physical confrontation at all costs when I’m carrying.

Wow thats just...wow. I would have called the clubhouse and see what they had to say. Saying something to guy that was already heated usually doesn't end well

Glad to know the clubhouse confronted him and followed up with the OP. Thankfully I've never had an issue escalate to that type of followup, but I do know a few friends that have had to make that call while in the middle of a round and nothing was ever done.

People will act like idiots 9.5 times out of 10 when they think there are no consequences. Actually getting called out and having to deal with said consequences needs to happen a lot more nowadays.

I'd just call the clubhouse and let them deal with it.

Should have said, “ You hit that marker better than you hit a ball”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My job frequently requires me to deal with pissed off people in a diplomatic, professional matter. That means all of that type of response I can muster gets used up while I’m on the clock.

When I encounter a pissed off person off the clock I usually handle it with one response: Audible and visible laughter. It seems to do one of two things. Either it makes the person realize how ridiculous they’re being and brings them back down to earth, or it further enrages them. If their reaction is the latter it just reveals to me that they likely are just an a-hole.

That’s almost certainly what I would have done here. Who knows what his reaction would have been, but it’s on him at that point. Very few people want to physically fight. Even if they do, even fewer have friends who will engage in a beat down with them. Most of the time the friends will jump in as a voice of reason.

Sometimes the way you injure someone the most is by laughing directly at their stupidity.

Same thing I do on the road when someone throws their hands up and pointing at me on the highway, just casually look at them and give them the biggest smile/laughter that I can muster

The moment he looked at me and then didn't say a GD word, is right about the moment I would have yelled a very loud and directed "FORE"!! I expect the message would be pretty clear.

Last edited:
I handle most situations like this with a loud “What the F…”

9/10 times the person knows that they messed up and apologizes. 1/10 I don’t know what will happen but it likely will not be more than a few words and a call to the club house.

Background:
Went to my local course today while the wife and boy were out doing their thing. I despise playing on Saturday because it is a public course and people are rude and terribly slow. So I sped through 1, 2, 3, when I get to 4 I get behind 2 foursomes, and all forward progress comes to a grinding halt. It becomes evident there is a match between the 2 groups (was not mentioned at booking my tee time).
Issue:
I pull up to #9(par 3), I'm not playing great so I'm waffling on playing 2 more hours behind these guys or cutting out and notice 1st foursome is on the green, 2nd foursome is waiting on tee box. I pull up, but not close maybe 5-6 car lengths back and completely out of view. #1 clears and #2 hits, and walks back to their carts, on the way I hear one of the guys a local who plays the course a lot but is always "that" guy complaining about his and his partners shots 🙄 he takes his club and swings hitting a pvc pipe marking the OB line, spraying plastic shrapnel all in my direction. Hitting me(barely) and my cart(windshield was up), he looks back at me, never says a word, and moves forward to the drop zone.
How would YOU respond?
I'm not typically a violent person but I was pissed, but not stupid. Even if I had said something that caused an incident, it's 4 on 1 and not worth it. I told the attending clerk to have the owner call me.

My job frequently requires me to deal with pissed off people in a diplomatic, professional matter. That means all of that type of response I can muster gets used up while I’m on the clock.

When I encounter a pissed off person off the clock I usually handle it with one response: Audible and visible laughter. It seems to do one of two things. Either it makes the person realize how ridiculous they’re being and brings them back down to earth, or it further enrages them. If their reaction is the latter it just reveals to me that they likely are just an a-hole.

That’s almost certainly what I would have done here. Who knows what his reaction would have been, but it’s on him at that point. Very few people want to physically fight. Even if they do, even fewer have friends who will engage in a beat down with them. Most of the time the friends will jump in as a voice of reason.

I’ll second that. I fairly frequently have to deal with pissed off (and lots of time in need of a fix) people at work, particularly when we don’t fill a narcotic early, etc.

I at least have some discretion as to how nice I have to be, but I treat every situation as a 100% let’s fix this as best we can, but I’ll let their actions dictate the rest.

The fighting part, you’re right, once someone realizes they’re looking at a man that will likely whoop their ass-or at least not back down? Most back down.

However you can’t expect that nor expect it to be anything other than a 4/1 battle. I had that situation back in 2018. Some of the blame is on me. I had someone that wanted to act tough but when it came down to it, he wasn’t willing to swing (I’d invited him to, 😂-I practice BJJ and I like letting someone not trained throw a haymaker at me. It almost always ends with them off balance and me back mounted and choking them.

Point. He was the only one in the 4 some even thinking about rumbling. When I’d had enough and finally got into his face (I had no choice, he blocked me) he backed off pretty fast. He was bigger than me but at that point he was acting tough for his buddies and I was trying to get out of there with my kids. So who wins, drunk guy “acting tough” for his buddy’s sake? Or guy that genuinely now has concern for his kids?

Yeah, I’m not backing down on that one. I’d have avoided him but I literally would have had to run him over with a golf cart (could have been fun? 😂) to not confront him. He was blocking me on a fence lined path and I had another cart on my 6.

1. You definitely handled it better than me.
2. I would’ve flipped Out and then called the club house.

I would shrug my arms and shake my head in a 'What was that for?' motion and then ring the clubhouse to let them know that someone was deliberatly damaging their property

Back