How would you play it? My Nemesis Par 5

Looks to me like if you can’t hit driver there, you could go something like 5i and 5i and then leave about 120 into the green. That should put you away from all bunkers but the very last one.

I hate taking a line where a dead flush straight ball ends up ob so probably hit 3 wood and go from there. Honestly the other fairway looks like the best option though.

Far too much talk of 2 putts here! If I’m in range (260 & in) and I’m aiming for the pin, I just assume it’s going in. Just like my forecasting process in the working world. It’s always 100% right until the actuals come in 😆
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

-M. Tyson

Given that I have nowhere near your distance, I'd probably aim my drive toward the center of the fairway and hope my draw takes it a bit around the dogleg, then a 5W to leave me a wedge to the green (basing the club choices on a par 5 of similar distance on my home course). There's not a chance in the world of me getting on in two, so it would never even cross my mind.

Using the other fairway looks like it would shorten the hole considerably, but I can't tell if you'd have trees to clear with your tee shot to pull that off, and I'd be reluctant to do it with other golfers on the course.

I go down the other fairway after seeing the picture

Looks like a 3 shot hole, then.
What's your launch angle? Tree doesn't look that high.
I get over the maple that I am over. It’s the ginormous pines that cause me fits. I don’t have a swing in the bag that can get me over those monsters and they are definitely not 90% air! Nor are their pine cones 😒
A couple questions you need to ask yourself:

How often do you keep it between the trees with driver?
How often would you keep it between the trees if you played for 220-240 off the tee?
With the driver, I’m 3/4 this year (above average). I hate to admit that number probably doesn’t improve unless I go down to 5i, which could get me 220-230 from the tee since this plays downhill.

I get over the maple that I am over. It’s the ginormous pines that cause me fits. I don’t have a swing in the bag that can get me over those monsters and they are definitely not 90% air! Nor are their pine cones 😒

With the driver, I’m 3/4 this year (above average). I hate to admit that number probably doesn’t improve unless I go down to 5i, which could get me 220-230 from the tee since this plays downhill.
To me that’s the play. From there it becomes a very manageable par 4, basically.

Pythagorean theorem this b*tch for us. How far to the pine tree and how high is it?

Pythagorean theorem this b*tch for us. How far to the pine tree and how high is it?
The pine trees shouldn’t come into play. If they do, I likely hit into one off the tee and don’t have a shot at the green anyway. How high are they? Scientifically speaking, too high for me to hit over.

5 irons are fun

Well I would play driver and hybrid to try to get on in 2. (Probably end up with a snowman on the card, I have a very similar hole at my home course and it is my nemesis as well)
How I should play it is, long iron to middle of fairway, short iron to lay up area then wedge to be on, then if wedge was great one putt birdie, and if not 2 put par.

If its one of the three toughest holes, accept that.
Have a very long par 4 I play that is like 495 (ok, used to play those tips.) It's incorrectly listed as like 11th handicap, and a 5 is not a horrible score on it at all, especially into the wind.

Closing hole same course is very similar to yours except plenty of bailout right, except totally blind if you miss right off the tee, then over the creek in front of green, pond left. Pure distance was a key asset over the years on that hole. If you have it, use it while you can young man.

Not a chance I'm trying to get home in 2 here. Fade a driver off the trees, then a little hybrid down to the landing zone, wedge on and two putt. Looks the sort of hole that has ruined many a round though.

That is defintely a 3 shot hole for me as I don't have the distance to guarantee a shot at the green with my 2nd

Put the ball in play off the tee, pick a sensible target for the 2nd shot, then try to put it close and walk off with no worse than par
It has a similar feel to the 15th at my home course for me, with your approach played over water to a green that has OB left and right and trouble/OB long

Lately I've been playing a hard, slinging draw that would be perfect for this hole (it actually sets up like #1 at our course). It's a really consistent shot and the worst case is hooking too much and I wind up in the left rough, but WAY down there.

I'm with you; if you can hit a short or mid-iron into this one, I'd go for it too!

A 3 shotter for me played down the correct fairway, probably a 3 Wood from the tee and then a layup in between the bunkers.

Now depending on the height of the trees and if I was feeling brave (stupid) I may hit a driver down the other fairway leaving a potential second shot to the green

Driver, hoping I clear the first turn. Then, depending on how I’m hitting it that day, FW, or 5 hybrid. Then whatever iron is appropriate to get to the green. That’s a 4 shots to the green hole most days.

What's the point of the bunker in the rough short of the fairway?

This is going to be a 3 shot hole for me, probably still hitting driver off the tee and lay up before green and then on the green to putt out.

I'd play it: 3W + 8i + 9i + 2 putts. You asked how I would play it. I would be trying not to make it a blow up hole.

What's the point of the bunker in the rough short of the fairway?
My first thought too. Unless it's absolutely integral as an aim point it seems like a waste of time and money to the course for no benefit to the play of the hole.

My thought on the tee would be, finally a dog leg to the left that plays to my fade as a lefty! So many courses around here are doglegs to the right that can be tricky with my standard shot shape with the driver

This looks very similar to the 7th hole on the Hills nine at my home course less the hazard in front of the green. It's a double dog-leg, and if you don't get your drive far enough or enough on the right side of the fairway your second shot is nothing more than a short punch shot down to around the 150 mark. You need to be on the right side off the tee, and the left side on your second. I've never witnessed anyone make it home in two - I'm not sure it's possible for all but low single digit or scratch players.

As such, I would play your nemesis as a three-shot hole. For me, a drive that starts up the left side of the fairway should wind up close to middle or slightly to the right side. I can't carry the hazard, so I will hit a mid-iron or hybrid down to the end just past the first pair of traps. Assuming that leaves around a hundred yards, pitch on and three putt for bogey.

I have a very similar Par 5 on my home course. I’ve approached it both ways. I’ve determined for me driver is my better choice. Even if I hit a good drive I’m a well hit 3 wood to the green. If I hit 3 wood I face having to hit it well twice and I’m still going to have an approach shot to make to get on the green. Someday I’ll be on in two, I’ve been within 20 yards twice in the past 2 weeks. My course does not have the fairway bunkers but instead 2 side by side 80 ft tall dress in the middle of the fairway. Ideal shot shape is a draw, not my typical shot but I’m learning.

Although I have enough length to get there, leaving a reasonable approach distance, the onus is of course on a well hit and well placed drive.

For rounds that matter, when score really matters to me, I very likely would not go for that green in two.

The yardage, bend, downhill nature and overall look of that hole is very similar to our #17 hole. On our hole with well placed drive, I'm often a 5 or 6 iron out from the tips, as little as 8 or 9-iron from the blues.

In every such case, it's a bright green light. Of course, flared drives can leave 225 yards. Then, I'll still most often go for it.

BUT...

There's no ravine that cuts across front of the green on our 17th. I'd imagine that most big numbers on that hole are caused by going for it, more so than the average par 5.

Playing for fun, testing new shots out, heck yes I'm going for it. But in competitive rounds, I'm doing what I can to reasonably assure par at worst while giving myself a reasonable chance for bird.

I could go iron-iron-wedge, 5W-iron-wedge. I'd likely avoid driver or 3W.

Our 17th is below, 526 from the back tees, 494 from the blues:

ac1b52e7ee2c4273f502fedd3f16eb7a.jpg

Last edited:
Back