How would you play it?

DFitz364

Reaction score
Handicap
I like these discussions, so figured I would post a hole I played this weekend. This is at Blacklick Woods here in the Greater Columbus, OH area, and I think this is one of the harder par 3's in the area hands down. I tried to capture roughly where the pin was. This green slopes drastically from back to front, I would guess safe carry on the water is 185-190. I was the only player of our foursome who hit the green (... we won't talk about the 3-putt bogey result though *facepalm*). I played a 9-iron with a high draw, ended pin high left side of the green.

Disclaimer: The wind was very gusty. Anywhere from 10-20 mph depending on the golf god's mood during your swing!! Touch of help, big time right to left. Also, I currently don't have an 8i as it needs to be reshafted so I go from 9i -> 7i :ROFLMAO:. If I had an 8i, that would have for sure been the play.

Capture.PNG

No way could I hit a 9 iron 185-190 yards.

I would hit a 5 iron or 4 hybrid. Aim it at the right bunker and let the wind carry it to the middle of the green.

Im hitting 3 hybrid all day. If it carries the green whatever, I can make a 4 from there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I would hit a full 7i at the right bunker. Should be enough to carry the water normally. With the wind helping some it should carry around 200 and if I flush it good I'll be a little long.

I would hit a full 7i at the right bunker. Should be enough to carry the water normally. With the wind helping some it should carry around 200 and if I flush it good I'll be a little long.

Yeah, long is a tough chip but world's better than right or left!

185-195 carry? 20 mph wind? I'd probably just go right to the drop area.

Playing partner basically said the same thing. Hit an absolute beaut with the longest iron he felt comfortable with (5i) and still came up about 5 yards shy. One of the few holes on this course that truly bares it's teeth from the tips.

I'd look to smooth a 6 iron and if it winds up long due to flush / wind I'll live with it. If it felt like a true helping wind, and I was really striking the ball well, I might think about the 7 iron. I'd probably aim dead center of the green, maybe a touch more right of center if the wind felt stronger crossway than helping, as that should help fight off my typical fade. Would certainly be a tough hole, as there's a 40% (generous) chance I just mishit it right into the water :LOL:

I’m stuck between being super aggressive and taking an 8i starting it on the right side of the green. Let the wind push it and hit a high draw and just let it fly.

My other thought would be 6i with a low cut fighting the wind.

Probably would depend on how my swing is that day. But kind of cool how I’m not even considering the club in between them and two wildly different shots about evenly.

With that carry, in that wind, I'd pull the 2 Hybrid, tee one up, aim for the middle of the green, then just poke-and-hope!

Eesh that's a big 9i. I would probably take 5i-6i, maybe 7i if it's really helping that hard and just let the wind shove it 30ft left of the pin. I'd just want to be on dry land more than anything. Bout all you can ask for with a par 3 around 200yds, just get dancing!

I'd look to smooth a 6 iron and if it winds up long due to flush / wind I'll live with it. If it felt like a true helping wind, and I was really striking the ball well, I might think about the 7 iron.

Pretty much the same here. Trying to smooth one is when I usually pure one so if there is a hint of wind, a 6 would be over. I play a draw so, with the right to left wind, I'm aiming at the right edge of the right bunker. I'd rather be long there than in the sand and long. If there is more help than cross, it's a 7.

185-190 yard carry? I'd stay in the cart, put me down for ESC net double bogey and save the two or three balls I'd dump into the pond! :LOL:

If I was going to play it though, it would probably be 4 hybrid and hope for the best.

That's got 3h written all over it for me. Hit towards right bunker and hope wind moves it to center of green. In my younger days it woukd have been a 5 iron but never ever a 8 iron.

I think this is a thinly veiled humble brag for that 190yd 9i. ;)

I'd start a 6i right at the flag.

I promise, if I didn’t have a ridiculous bag without an 8i, it’d be 8 all day!! Maybe one day I’ll get that reshafted..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll start by searching the bag for one of them "Noodles" I found. I'm aiming for the right edge of the bunker on the right and hitting my 5H. The wind coming slightly behind will give it a boost in distance to clear and it'll likely land in the bunker behind the green. If the wind doesn't help me. I'm in the drink and hitting 3 from the forward tee box with my GW. After chunking that into the water. I pick up, mark down my most likely score of 8 and move onto the next hole.

I would hit a 5W which is a 195 carry for me. Even though the wind is helping a bit that is likely the play. I am missing a 185 carry club right now and my 5i at 175 likely doesn’t make the carry.

I think this is a thinly veiled humble brag for that 190yd 9i. ;)

I'd start a 6i right at the flag.

Lmao. I’ve seen Trackman with 146 CHS from him. Not ball speed. Not smash factor. Club Speed.

I’d likely play it like you, but that wind would be temptinh to just flip one up there high and let it push it.

I'd go with a 4 hybrid. It's a little more than required but with the wind and green sloping back to front, it might set up well.

First, I'd ask my partners if we really shouldn't move up a box or two. If that doesn't work, I'd hope to flush a 4 iron at the back left bunker

I'm old so I'm playing up a box unless I'm forced to play from there in a tournament. That's 4i total yard distance for me but it would be a very risky carry as I hit that club relatively low. I don't game any hybrids so I'd be forced to play my 5W and accept going over the green just to ensure I hit a high enough shot with sufficient distance to safely carry the water. Then I'd have to hope to get an up n down par from behind the green😢 I probably wouldn't make very many 3s from the back tees here.

I'm probably playing a choked down, low, 5i cut into that. The fact that OP played a high lofted draw into that is honestly baffling to me unless that's just a really preferred flight.

Sloped back to front I'm burning a cut into it under that wind all day.

Back