How would you play this hole - #10 lost dunes

I may be completed underestimating this hole but, in hitting driver 9/10. Hit decently well (and depending on wind), I’ll have about hybrid or 5 iron in I would think. Would probably take a smooth 3 wood swing to be safe. Then figure out a way to get up and down for a par at worst.

Hitting driver to give myself a chance to go for it.

Oh fun, forced carry second shots into a par 5 haha.

If your average drive doesn’t give you a green light, just get it in play. You’re not gonna go for it, so take the water and sand out of consideration.

Unless that fairway is wider than the aerial, then swing hard and hope for the best.

Hard to not go for it. I like to take chances

There is so much trouble around the green if I was trying to get on in two that I would go conservative on this hole to avoid all trouble and walk off the green with an easy par.

5i to middle of fairway short of trouble
7i to safe landing area short of water
PW
2 putt

There is so much trouble around the green if I was trying to get on in two that I would go conservative on this hole to avoid all trouble and walk off the green with an easy par.

5i to middle of fairway short of trouble
7i to safe landing area short of water
PW
2 putt

One of the most sensible strategies yet.
I hate it
:ROFLMAO:

Off tee toward right with 1w...based on how far to water layup on that line so 3rd is to right of bunker with approach...

My driver usually goes 240-250ish which starts to flirt with that FW bunker and the FW narrows. I'd do 3W off the tee short of the bunker, 2nd shot longer iron up the left side, 3rd shot wedge over the water to green.

Where is @Smiter ?! I’m pretty sure I know what his strategy would be here 💪

Where is @Smiter ?! I’m pretty sure I know what his strategy would be here 💪

Haven’t read the questions, bro…. It’s been a couple months, Yeesh!

Driver! I don’t care if I’m putting with it! That’s my answer dude! 🤣.

Ok have looked at it now @RealPretendPsychic , 😂

Driver. My landing area is open unless wind. Probably 8i-PW from there. Wind changes it. Not really in club selection from the tee but if it’s into me, I’ll have a mid-long iron in.

This is all assuming that I make clean contact. Not assured!

Driver between the bunker and water.
Depending on wind, either lay up left and have a wedge into the green or go for it with the 3 or 5 wood.
Putt as required till holed.

Tempting to hit driver here. At least I would have 9 holes to warm up. If my driver is flying well, I'd hit the big stick and see if going for it was in the cards, otherwise a 3w in play, lay up to 140 or 115 would be ideal.

I've been obsessed lately with this course, and the hole that scares me the most is #10.

Not sure what tees we are playing, so I just set it to the blues. 1 up.

View attachment 9028421

I know @PackersGirl thinks she knows how I'd play it...but I'm not really sure what my strategy will be.

How are you playing it?
That looks remarkably like #18 at Whisper Rock - Upper Course. It's 501-yards, but the main difference is that there is a yawning bunker on the left side of the fairway, and a lake on the right - opposite of this hole's setup. There's still water fronting the green and anything out of the fairway takes a shot at the green off the table.

I usually decide if I feel better with a fade or draw and then start my ball at either the trap or lake, and then (hopefully) either fade or draw my ball into the fairway. There's no bailout at Whisper Rock, but this hole does seem to offer a shot at the green by hitting close to the bunker - I'd probably err to the right on this one.

Driver and then 3w/5w depending on length of drive, unless there is a strong headwind then go left on second shot to give myself a wedgish in.

I’d play a fade off the right side bunker which would probably leave me 200 yards out. I’d then hit a 5 iron and hopefully land on the front of the green. If not I’d probably be in the bunker which is fine.

The water left of the tee shot landing zone is likely the riskiest hazard on this hole for me given I'm not long enough to challenge this hole in two. So I'm aiming something I hit 200-220 directly at that right side fairway bunker; probably my 5 wood. If I get that one safely in the fairway it becomes a safe three shot hole with a pair of easy peasy short irons or wedges for strokes 2 and 3. Assuming the green isn't stupid tough I'm probably making par 75% of the time and should birdie it about 10% Only time the water near the green might bite me is if I'm greedy and try to get my layup too close or I chunk or top my 3rd.

Last edited:
Its a layup hole for me so there's no point in trying to hit a long drive to get closer. Choke down on the driver and hit a low punch type shot that almost always goes straight about 200 yards. Hit an iron in front of the pond. Take an old ball out and throw it in the water trying to appease the water gods. Maybe they will accept that token gift instead of the ball I'm playing. Hit a wedge and cross my fingers its not a chunk shot. Try not to 3 putt.

Hybrid to the fat part of the fairway, short iron to 100 out, wedge in. Only because of the three tiered green. The wrong tier and I can definitely make a mess of it.

Driver off the tee and second shot will depend on driver results wether to go for it or lay up.

Depends on wind and elevation. Ideally I would want 160 or less on to that green with the water carry. If the wind was favorable and I could get my driver out to 300+ well over the FW bunker I would go that route. It is fairly wide just beyond the bunker, further shot goes, wider the fairway. If the wind is not great, I'd probably layup with 3 iron or 5 wood then hit a wedge or short iron layup to the water and another over to the green. If the 3 shot layup could get me to under 125, I might do that either way since I could probably give myself a better birdie attempt than 165-180 after the drive.

I've already posted but I'm seeing the 479 as 215 + 9i (132 carry) + 9i or PW depending upon how firm the fairway was on the previous shot. 2 putts par and move on. At worst, miss the approach, chip on, one putt par. I won't take a chance with an 8i because I have a similar hole at a local course and I've hit the 8i thin and bounce into the hazard - don't get greedy. All this of course assumes I land on the fairway with my tee shot. If I duff it, everything changes.

Hit my driver and then whatever club gets me safely into a wedge position to the left. Zero chance at getting there in 2 unless I have a ton of wind at my back.

Back