How would you play this hole?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I haven’t done one of these for a while. The photo depicts a green on a par 3 I played last weekend. The yardage was about 155 to the middle of the green. As you can see, the hole was cut in the back right of the green and this section of the green is about 20 percent of the entire green and a lower tier. I played to the middle of the green, hoping the ball might release enough to trickle down to the flag. I struck the ball well and, as you can see, the ball stopped on the higher tier. I made a good putt, the ball barely going beyond the crest of the green and then rolling out onto the right fringe, leaving me about an 8 foot putt, which I missed. I don’t think there was any way to leave a gimme two putt.

So, the options are:

1. Try to hit the lower section of the green. If you miss right, you drop off the edge and roll down a hill, as the green sits on a slope.

2. Hit the shot that I did and either try to make an 8 foot second putt or be fortunate enough to have your ball release down to the hole.

Which are you choosing?

661F6904-2C82-4BDA-8415-1393C5CB40D5.jpeg

given that my misses draw right, i'd try to lay up with your plan in mind...but the execution would probably draw it onto the lower portion, roll off...and swear to the mountains

20201126_114216.jpg

Looks like a little breeze against. I'm playing a straight shot to the arrow at around pin yardage with an easy 8. I want no part of anything X's or short. Basically praying for a 2 putt from there aka playing for bogey. Nothing but hesitancy from anywhere around there on the next shot. I'd rather be pop chipping from up against the brush. At least I can go at the hole from there and have a similar 3rd shot on a bad one as I would from the front.

2. It possibly gives you more control.

For some reason that green looks huge to me.

For me aim just left of the flag with a cut shot shape. If it goes straight, then I am on the lower tier. If it cuts then it might roll off the hill towards the hole. If it goes to far to the right, then I am still on the green buy on the upper tier. Club would be a solid 8 iron.

View attachment 8975980

Looks like a little breeze against. I'm playing a straight shot to the arrow at around pin yardage with an easy 8. I want no part of anything X's or short. Basically praying for a 2 putt from there aka playing for bogey. Nothing but hesitancy from anywhere around there on the next shot. I'd rather be pop chipping from up against the brush. At least I can go at the hole from there and have a similar 3rd shot on a bad one as I would from the front.
You are always so perceptive. I would look at the photo and not even consider the breeze, which is evident from the flag. It may have been the breeze that held me up enough that my ball stopped. It’s these types of holes that separate a plus index from somebody like me. Although not a long hole, it just screams bogey, because a little chip/pitch from off the green on the right could easily leave the same 8 foot putt that I had for par.

For some reason that green looks huge to me.

For me aim just left of the flag with a cut shot shape. If it goes straight, then I am on the lower tier. If it cuts then it might roll off the hill towards the hole. If it goes to far to the right, then I am still on the green buy on the upper tier. Club would be a solid 8 iron.
The green is very deep.

I wouldve played it like @Tenputt did.

Unless there some special circumstance, that is visually apparent, i always go for the center of the green, and roll the ball from there.

Over the years this has always been a high percentage shot. I am in no way a pin point ball striker. That, and I seldom ever three putt from any where on the green.

I might try, and target a specific area near the cup if there is something special on the line. A $0.25 skin can buy a lot of bragging rights with the gamesters I play with....lol

At 155 I’m going pin hunting. My miss is the ball.

You are always so perceptive. I would look at the photo and not even consider the breeze, which is evident from the flag. It may have been the breeze that held me up enough that my ball stopped. It’s these types of holes that separate a plus index from somebody like me. Although not a long hole, it just screams bogey, because a little chip/pitch from off the green on the right could easily leave the same 8 foot putt that I had for par.
Yeah, it's a tough pin. The thing for me is always giving each/the next shot a chance to be go. And this is either 3-4 hesitant ones trying not to make bogey, or 2-3 trying to make birdie or par, that starts on the tee. I'm all for a safe play when it makes sense, but all I see that it gets you here is a crap putt and a good bogey chance. I like a safe play to aggressive position for the next, and it looks like they're all past and left of that ridge, with equal consequence on a slight miss.

Last edited:
155 is a favored yardage but that pin would give me fits. I'm much more comfortable and proficient if I can aim a little right to compensate for my typical draw or pull. Looks like this one falls off too steeply off the right of the green to risk missing it right if I do happen to hit a straight one or a tiny cut. Short looks dead too so I'd play for pin high. Best I could do is maybe aim straight at it or a smidge left and hope I don't go so much more left that the two putt becomes nearly impossible. So if I'm super lucky on the approach I could possibly birdie this pin but more often I'd need a great two putt just for par even if I played the tee shot as planned. I'd make plenty of three putt bogies here but I'd do all I could to keep it left of that drop off to the right and the big numbers that probably live down there.

155 is a favored yardage but that pin would give me fits. I'm much more comfortable and proficient if I can aim a little right to compensate for my typical draw or pull. Looks like this one falls off too steeply off the right of the green to risk missing it right if I do happen to hit a straight one or a tiny cut. Short looks dead too so I'd play for pin high. Best I could do is maybe aim straight at it or a smidge left and hope I don't go so much more left that the two putt becomes nearly impossible. So if I'm super lucky on the approach I could possibly birdie this pin but more often I'd need a great two putt just for par even if I played the tee shot as planned. I'd make plenty of three putt bogies here but I'd do all I could to keep it left of that drop off to the right and the big numbers that probably live down there.
Your analysis is much like mine was. I had not played this course for a couple of years and have only played it a couple of times, so I couldn’t remember exactly how sloped the green was until I got to my ball. I don’t usually play a fade, so this pin placement is a little more treacherous.

Option 2 i like my chances better with putter in hand multiple times then wedge then putter.

unless what you’re saying is the better miss is off the green?

My aim point would be the same as @OldandStiff except with a 7 iron. Wind and my fade should put me right in line with the flag and hope the ball stays below the flag for a uphill birdie putt.😎

Option 2 i like my chances better with putter in hand multiple times then wedge then putter.

unless what you’re saying is the better miss is off the green?
I don’t know which miss is better. That is the dilemma for me. Unless you can hit a tee shot and get it to stick in that lower area of the green where the hole is located, the odds of a bogey are really high. The entire green is sloping left to right. If you miss right, you are short sided, coming up from well below the green. It is a hole that really perplexed me.

I don’t know which miss is better. That is the dilemma for me. Unless you can hit a tee shot and get it to stick in that lower area of the green where the hole is located, the odds of a bogey are really high.

Looking at the pic again play a fade in off the left side of the green?

Definitely looks tough especially with that pin placement

With my level of play I aim for the middle and hope for the best

At 155. Id play a low type shot. Something that cuts a bit lands front/left center and releases a bit. Knocked down 7 iron for me. If I tried to fly it all the way to back of the green I’d be afraid of flying the green and short siding myself past the hole. Get it on below the hole. 2 Putt and be happy.

I don’t know which miss is better. That is the dilemma for me. Unless you can hit a tee shot and get it to stick in that lower area of the green where the hole is located, the odds of a bogey are really high. The entire green is sloping left to right. If you miss right, you are short sided, coming up from well below the green. It is a hole that really perplexed me.
Short sided low is not a shot I fear, having had plenty of practice with that situation with my sucky game, here comes a flop shot for par/bogey.:p

Definitely looks like a tough pin. 7 irons to hopefully clear that little ridge and have the ball release back to the pin. Short looks like it would be just brutal to get up and down from.

Knowing me I would probably tee it up a bit high and launch a high shot, dropping it as close to the pin as possible on the even tear with the flag. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't - all depends on the day I am having with my irons. 140 and in is normally my better pin hunting though, as I am way too poor at aiming and hitting my correct yardage, but I DO like to try it and I will. That is what makes the game fun to me! :ROFLMAO:

Looking at the pic again play a fade in off the left side of the green?

Definitely looks tough especially with that pin placement
The great thing about it is the scenery is just breathtaking.

Is that a super long green, or just the way the picture looks?

Is that a super long green, or just the way the picture looks?
It is a very deep green. So many greens on this particular course are. They are long, but still often present very small target areas.

Back