How would you play this lie?

billyh

Goodwill Hunter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
This one happened to me on a solo round today. Hit a pretty decent drive off the tee only to find it like this in the fairway. It’s kind of hard to see, but it’s plugged a little more than halfway in the fairway. The first pic is from the front, the second pic is from behind. How would you play it? It was a casual round with the wife so I’ll hold out on how I played it for now.

1585508231475.jpeg
1585508538299.jpeg

You get relief for that.

Pick it up, drop it nearby, and hit away. (see above)

Clean and place

You get relief under rule 16.3a(1).

roll it over to the top soil and play on i had several the other week 2 plugged so deep i couldnt find them at first played a drop ball then found it then i was walking back

See the rules. You're allowed relief.

Lift Clean and Place. No worries man!

Did you bring a shovel in your bag? No ... well play it as it lies. ;)

Lift, clean & place (y)

I'd take relief per the rules if applicable. Clean, and drop / replace.

If I decided to hit out of it, and needed some distance, I'd probably take a mid iron, a steeper angle of attack, and be happy with what ever I could get out of it.

If the distance needed was short enoungh where I could use my high bounce SW, I'd put the same swing on it.

After the shot, I'd fill in my divot, and move on, while cleaning mud specks off of myself.

Below the surface.. As others have said, you get relief

Pick it up and drop

Take relief as provided under the RoG.

I'd roll that straight out of there, relief given as stated above - why make life harder...?

I agree with all, I was always under the assumption that a plugged ball is entitled to lift, clean, and drop relief. If you are not familiar with that rule, you should also familiarize yourself with rules for casual water during this time of year when courses are often quite gooey.

So I gave it the old heave ho and tried to hot it as it lied. I took out my 3 hybrid and gave it a good whack. It shot up out of the hole about head high and landed almost a foot behind and played it from there. After the shot, I had the wife look up the rule and didn’t count the shot. And yes, I fixed my divot.
1585573460448.jpeg

I am lifting, cleaning and dropping that sucker.

About as good a result as you could have hoped for with the plugged ball. I say good attempt to play it as it lay and good checking the rules. And not counting the stroke(y)

I would have lifted, cleaned, and placed... and tried to fill the impact crater.

I think the lift, clean, and place is optional. If you didn't opt to take relief, then you still need to count the stroke that popped it out of the plugged lie, I think. Also, it's lift, clean, and place, not grab it with the clubhead and roll it away from the plugged lie. :eek:🤡:devilish:

I think the lift, clean, and place is optional. If you didn't opt to take relief, then you still need to count the stroke that popped it out of the plugged lie, I think. Also, it's lift, clean, and place, not grab it with the clubhead and roll it away from the plugged lie. :eek:🤡:devilish:
That's just cruel.. Lol

The only cruel thing about that is going from a 124 to a 125 for the round. High score wins right?
The more strokes you take, the lower your cost per stroke is! (y):LOL:

Pull a Kucher and drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only cruel thing about that is going from a 124 to a 125 for the round. High score wins right?
You got more swings for the money!!

Back