How would you play this par 4?

That hole would be somewhat difficult for me from that distance but there looks to be room to miss regardless. For me a decent enough drive into a head wind to a real wet fairway is about 215 carry. Unless I hit a better drive than that I probably won't risk carrying the pond. In fact on holes like this, if I'm laying up anyway, I'd prefer to layup directly at the pond but safely short. Removes any chance of accidentally rinsing my layup and I like to come directly into the slope whenever a green slopes severely toward a hazard like this one. Less risk that my pitch (if I had laid up left) could kick right and gain momentum down the slope that way. Plan B (assuming a better than normal drive) play approach favoring back left of green (tons of room) and realize 3 putt is in play, but bogey here doesn't kill me.

Above probably moot though since I'd normally be playing up a box or two so then I'd just play it as a normal hole. Try to hit fairway and mid/short iron in, favor center to back yardage regardless.

Last edited:
What is happening here?
View attachment 9011606
Long carry to fairway wasn't enough, they had to throw a tiny little bunker in there to add insult to injury for shortstuff?
I'd assume that circle is the forwardmost tees. I don't remember ever seeing them, but I can be kind of oblivious to that unless I'm with my wife.

Ideally, right now:
4i off the tee
depending on the lie either 4i aiming for the left side of the green or two full PWs to get around the green
blade a chip into the water
duff another chip
3 putt

solid 8-9 no problem.

The trees on the left can't be flown over. At least not by me. Lol. They're crazy tall and hang out further than they look. If I could play a straight shot over by the cart path over there I absolutely would. It's the driest area.
If they are too high for you, they are definitely too high for me!

A good or bad drive (distance wise) leaves me with either a half swing knockdown PW or half swing knockdown sand wedge to hit the front of the green and let it roll out a little towards the flag. I prefer the uphill putt attempt 10 times out of 10.

A good or bad drive (distance wise) leaves me with either a half swing knockdown PW or half swing knockdown sand wedge to hit the front of the green and let it roll out a little towards the flag. I prefer the uphill putt attempt 10 times out of 10.
I just revisited your post about this hole because I felt like there had to be more to it that I was missing.
Just saw you talking about the wind and the wet fairway.
I’m still playing the same. Only difference is it’s probably a knockdown partial 8 iron if it’s that wet and the wind is blowing off the box.

Probably going to treat it as a par 5 and layup or at least use the area to the left. Either way, I'm probably not hitting that green in two from 400 yards. Not only would a facing wind reduce my tee shot, it would also knockdown a well struck hybrid on my approach.

Probably from a different set of tees... but if I am playing tips... driver (240/250) and then thats going to leave a decision depending on lie (FW or RG)... I am thinking probably 7iron maybe 6iron in.

Bust driver and then make sure to be below the hole looking at those arrows.

Into the wind and with a wet fairway, I am likely going to have to hit driver, 4 hybrid.

Back