How would you play this short par 4?

It would depend on if I mishit my driver or not. Could be a partial 50* shot or a 3 wood.

Pull the big stick and let it rip, real wide range of outcomes but best case scenario I hit it straight enough to not be in any bunkers. From there it's a wedge on (but probably not close) and 2-3 putts. Any hole that ends in a bogey is satisfactory for me at this point.

Driver! For Shizzle!

Block slice into the water, hit my provisional into the left rough, chunk the wedge, chunk it again, finally quit giving a sh!t and stick it close, 1 putt for 7

Except off the tee you are describing my game perfect so far this year. But I haven’t golfed with @Hamfist (read as drunk) yet this year so I’m sure the tee game will go to hell soon too.

I'd play this with my driving 4i, hopefully in the fairway leaving me 115 or so in. PW, 2 putt.

Block slice into the water, hit my provisional into the left rough, chunk the wedge, chunk it again, finally quit giving a sh!t and stick it close, 1 putt for 7
I did not think that water >50 yards offline was in play. I was wrong.

Only 50 yards? I might have a shot then because I very well may put it on the other side of the water

Glory favors the bold.

7w to the fairway. Give me something I can take a full swing at, there's nothing wrong with walking away with a 4 on a hole that is a bit of a sucker yardage

i agree. Just look at how the pros just rape those "driveable" par 4's on the Tour!

Putter.

i agree. Just look at how the pros just get after those "driveable" par 4's on the Tour!

Depends all on what you're looking at in front of you though. Sometimes it makes sense. Sometimes it doesn't.

In all seriousness the green complex looks nearly as big as the part of the fairway I would be aiming at. If the wind was favorable I would go for the green. If not I'd have to hit a 6 or 7 iron and then full wedge in.

If I was using smart course management for my game, I'd hit 5W somewhere in the neighborhood of the white line in the pic and hopefully be in the fairway with an AW left to the green.

If I was hitting driver well that day and feeling bold, I'd aim right along the black line in the pic - I can carry the first bunker, but won't reach the third one short of the green.

Anything 150 to the side (either) to 350 in front is in play for me.

Still hitting driver. Every time now that I’ve been challenged, 🤣.

Pull hook into trees, drop, PW over the green into back bunker, pitch out and 2 putt for double :confused:

I'm taking a 3w straight at the bunker. All being well it should leave me with a little wedge. Skull that over the green, fluff a chip and 3 putt for a frustrating 6.

I would be looking to put the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the white circle on your first post and then whatever wedge is needed from there

5i aiming at the cart path as it goes over the crown of the hill. It’ll fade back slightly and put me in the fairway. Wedge into the green and a couple of putts. I doubt it’ll pan out like that.....

Except off the tee you are describing my game perfect so far this year. But I haven’t golfed with @Hamfist (read as drunk) yet this year so I’m sure the tee game will go to hell soon too.
:drinks:

This is the type of hole that gets me into trouble because it's so open. The fairway seems to narrow at around 230 by that bunker in the middle so I'd plan on 3h to stay short of that and find the fairway. But, your photos show everything so wide open (no trees to right of fairway, no water) that I'd be tempted to hit driver right at the flag and see how close I can get, which puts that bunker right in front of the green and all the rough in play. I'd be happy with par.

View attachment 9002839

The above is the answer for me. I would hit 3W which is about 215 and whatever iron I need in from there.

5i aiming at the cart path as it goes over the crown of the hill. It’ll fade back slightly and put me in the fairway. Wedge into the green and a couple of putts. I doubt it’ll pan out like that.....
My exact aiming spot! Except I'm hitting a driver. Then an iron of some sort, then a wedge.

I’d probably aim dead center fairway with driver and play into my weak, fadey slice. I can trust that ball flight to carry about 280. So probably won’t hit the green. But if I can just carry that last bunker and be somewhere between there and the green, I’ll be happy. Try to make birdie but take my guaranteed par move on to the next one.

My exact aiming spot! Except I'm hitting a driver. Then an iron of some sort, then a wedge.

I gave you the “on fire”. Because your pants are.

You forgot the free kick out and subsequent second kick to get a better angle. I’m talking foot wedge for those not familiar with Hammy’s game. It is on point.

Hybrid, wedge, putt...Birdie !

I gave you the “on fire”. Because your pants are.

You forgot the free kick out and subsequent second kick to get a better angle. I’m talking foot wedge for those not familiar with Hammy’s game. It is on point.
I was predicating my attack on actually hitting quality golf shots.

Back