How would you play this shot, third edition

Hybrid low punch, hope for tons of roll.

I have so much confidence when I'm typing on a keyboard....

While I do hit my irons high (due to poor swing mechanics), I'll assume it's too close to the tree as you say.

I've had success of late hitting pretty massive draws, but I'm not going for the green. I'll pull a 6i, align at the small pine tree next to the cart path (assuming there's no trouble beyond) and hope for a right to left hook/draw. With that club, the best I can manage is 150-160 yards. Best case scenario I'd still have a wedge left and a 2-putt bogey.

If the round was out of hand I'd say f-it and try to launch hybrid through the tree.

Knockdown, hooking 4 hybrid aimed at the start of the cart path on the right. Fly it about 150 then watch it roll.

I have drawn a circle around where the flag sits. This is hole 17 at my home course. I was struggling and sitting at 8 over. I wanted to break 80 (it’s a par 71). I didn’t think I could get a 6 iron over the tree, but I felt there were some openings in the branches, so I thought that if I punched under the tree, I almost certainly bogey the hole and wouldn’t break 80. I didn’t like the odds of hooking it around the tree, given that the green is guarded by a bunker. I decided to just make a good swing and try to go through the tree, hoping to miss branches. Luck was with me and I passed through the tree cleanly on line with the arrow in the photo. The other photo attached shows where my ball came to rest on the green. I made the putt to turn disaster into a birdie. Very lucky. I bogeyed 18 to shoot 8 over 79, reaching my goal, but only because I took a foolhardy chance here.

View attachment 8939522View attachment 8939523View attachment 8939524
Great shot - I probably would have tried the same, but probably not the same results.

My thoughts are the same as James, 8-9 iron, a little pitch and a putt or two..

Looks like downhill sidehill lie and that would make a hook more difficult for me. I'm taking whatever club will get me over the tree aiming towards the right side and then using my SW to get close for a chance at par

Great shot - I probably would have tried the same, but probably not the same results.

If you intentionally aim to go through a tree, it all comes down to the golf gods.

Sling a hook around the tree to get near the green.

I think I can get over it.

Hook my 4 hybrid around the tree. I'm not worried about ending up in a bunker. Probably make no worse than bogey and might make a par.

Hoist the ball into the air. I'm looking at probably a drawing 7i a bit right of the tree.

Time to take your medicine here IMO. I am aiming at the right side of that cart path with my hybrid and punching one 70 or so yards out to safety for a wedge approach. I don't have a hook in my arsenal so that's not an option for me.
I have a hook in my arsenal, but only when it's unintentional and there's trouble left. :ROFLMAO:

I guess it depends on the lie. If it was sitting up in the rough I would probably take a 7i and hope to get over the tree and catch a flier to get there. If it’s sitting more down I would probably play a 5i punch hook and deal with the results, which would either be short or bunker. My thought after a crap drive usually changes to “don’t make this any worse”. Take medicine and make a better driver swing next time.

I am taking my medicine. My goal is to get to a very comfortable distance for my 3rd shot, accept that bogey is probable but do what I can to take nothing bigger. If I am liking partial wedge shots this day then I’m hitting the lowest lofted club I’m 1000% confident I can get over the trees. If not I’m punching out to a 105-110 type yardage.

Not even a moments hesitation.
Grabbing 7 iron and hitting an aggressive hook around the tree. I'm perfectly ok with being in the greenside trap.

Take my 8i and step on it. If it’s caught flush I will clear the tree and get very close. A tree is 90% air anyway 🤣🤣.

You need to stop hooking the ball - can the 4th round be out of the fairway or off the left 🤣

Take my 8i and step on it. If it’s caught flush I will clear the tree and get very close. A tree is 90% air anyway 🤣🤣.

You need to stop hooking the ball - can the 4th round be out of the fairway or off the left 🤣

That’s hilarious. I will work on a slice. :LOL:

Depending on how the ball was sitting within the long grass I expect to play anything from a wedge to a hybrid. The lie should dictate the line of play and chosen club.

I have drawn a circle around where the flag sits. This is hole 17 at my home course. I was struggling and sitting at 8 over. I wanted to break 80 (it’s a par 71). I didn’t think I could get a 6 iron over the tree, but I felt there were some openings in the branches, so I thought that if I punched under the tree, I almost certainly bogey the hole and wouldn’t break 80. I didn’t like the odds of hooking it around the tree, given that the green is guarded by a bunker. I decided to just make a good swing and try to go through the tree, hoping to miss branches. Luck was with me and I passed through the tree cleanly on line with the arrow in the photo. The other photo attached shows where my ball came to rest on the green. I made the putt to turn disaster into a birdie. Very lucky. I bogeyed 18 to shoot 8 over 79, reaching my goal, but only because I took a foolhardy chance here.

View attachment 8939522View attachment 8939523View attachment 8939524
That’s an awesome shot man!

If I was in your shoes, playing hole 17 and aiming for a score, I’d do the same.

Is that at Davis Park good job need to play again take care

Yep, Davis Park. We’ll have to organize a THP Utah outing as soon as things settle down.

Hit a wedge about 90 yards to the middle, or opposite side of flag to make sure I have a good approach and take my chances with a gap in my hands.
Take my medicine and not open up for a double

Back