How Would You Play With a Caddy?

How Would You Play With a Caddy?

• I play worse with a caddy

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I play better with a caddy

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
I played at Pebble with a caddy and was thoroughly chastised when I read my own putt on the first hole; I made sure he read all the rest. He helped a lot, especially on the greens.

I played St. Andrews with a caddy and he was invaluable all day long. That is a course where the hazards are far from obvious and th greens are HUGE.

My wife caddied for me in a couple of local amateur tournaments and although she was not a great technical help she kept me focused and positive and I played over my head.

I've had one a couple of times and played better. Everytime was on a course I was playing for the first time and local knowledge was worth every cent I tipped them. Have had one in local amatuer events as well but it was someone I knew well and knew the courses. Help me stay in the moment and stay focused on the plan.

Played with one several times. I definitely don't play worse with him on the bag. The guy who caddies for me has done so several times over the past few years, he knows how I wants things to be and that's why it works so well. Also had my mum caddy for me on a few occasions and that works out well too.

I don't feel "uncomfortable" with a caddy, so it all boils down to the caddy doing what I want him to do. It usually boils down to keeping the clubs clean, don't be a distraction for me and other players, don't comment on my game (besides "good shot" and the like) and don't give advice unless I ask for it.

I've never had a caddy, but have often wondered what it would be like.

It's not that big of a deal, nor difference. At least not to me. It's a helluva lot more convenient than carrying your bag though!

never had a caddy. Hopefully some day I can say that i have!

We had a fore caddy when we played Sawgrass last year. Gave us the yardages, and read the greens, but also took time to try and get to know us a bit to keep our minds from blowing up. Super nice guy. He made the round absolutely spectacular.

We, clearly, were not serious golfers as we had carts, lol. It was a great time and the caddy was invaluable for this course. The greens were really tough and from 150 it really helped to know what area of the green to come in from, or where the proper miss was. It was worth while just for the experiance, but we had no choice in the matter, none members had to have one along.

We had a fore caddy when we played Sawgrass last year. Gave us the yardages, and read the greens, but also took time to try and get to know us a bit to keep our minds from blowing up. Super nice guy. He made the round absolutely spectacular.

That's what he was called, a "Fore Caddy", lol. Thanks!

I have played serveral times with a caddie. It certainly is a mixed bag. A good caddie can certainly help you out, but a bad caddie can be a total distraction. My best experience was playing Doonbeg in Ireland.I had a young kid who played the game and quickly picked up things with my game. I also had a pretty good experience at Merion, although he wasn't good at reading greens (but otherwise did a good job guiding me around the course).

My worst experience was at a high end Country Club where the caddie reeked like booze, couldn't read a putt and obviously never played golf in his life. He just kept getting in the way, and wouldn't take any hints that I didn't want his advice. We had two caddies in the group, and I would often ask the other caddie for his thoughts on putts.

I should probably add that I was a caddie for 10+ years.

It's great to have someone carrying your clubs and keeping them clean, but they're not magic swing doctors or anything. If it's your first time at a course they're great too.

I've also never had the opportunity to have a caddie. I would love to have the experience with a GOOD caddie.

I have only played once with a Caddy and it was in Japan. I played better. But it was hard to understand her. Yes it was a lady. she learned how far i hit my clubs very fast and when she gave me a club it was the right one. It was cool.

Yes it was course provided, so you have to spend a round or so to actually get comfortable with them and such, my next caddy will be a good friend who knows my game so I know it will be better.

I've had my best friend caddy for me, well... he didn't carry my bag for me though... and it really helped. and if i'm golfing with my dad and i start having a great round, he makes sure he gives me an extra set of eyes on the greens and ideas for different shots. so yes, i say it helps.

My last (and sometime) caddy is my father-in-law to be. He's a bit too keen on the game though. At the 2nd green, he took my putter out, took the head cover off, handed me the head cover and walked to the green ready to putt....

This poll needs another option: I never play with a caddie. Never have and dont imagine I ever will.

If I had my own personal caddie like the pro's i would prob be a stud , but just one caddie for a day wouldn't do much for me maybe cost me some strokes

The only time I had a caddy was at Valhala. None of us in the group had played the course before so they were helpful in telling us about trouble we couldn't see and where the best place to hit the ball to was. What bothered me was that sometimes they would stand in the middle of the fairway as aiming points. Now they were far enough away that we wouldn't hit them, but it was still distracting. They also didn't know our games (yardages, flight patterns, etc) and they would give us unsolicited advice on shots. Since none of us ever played with a caddy, we had no idea of what to tip. We had 3 caddies for four of us, so one double bagged each 4 holes. We asked a member, when we got done, what was the norm. We ended up eaching giving $90 to the caddies. We didn't pay for the round, so it wasn't such a bad deal.

I've had a fore caddy and "caddy" on 1 occasion and both were horrible experience.

First "caddy" I will use that term very lightly when I played a round in Acapulco on my honeymoon. This course was owned by the hotel/resort we were staying at. It was pretty much take anyone off the street that would like to make some money. The guy was clueless about the course, which way holes went, yardage, etc. We rode in cart and they wanted him to drive which I didn't care for but I was like whatever. On first hole I asked how does this hole play or anything I should know. It had blind landing area since it was pretty uphill and then went down but I couldn't see that from the tee. There are no pictures on scorecards or hole marker is why I asked. He had puzzled look so I asked him in spanish still the same look. So I hit and top the hill there is creek that runs down left-hand side of the fairway..... guess where my ball is? I was not happy to begin with so this didn't go well. He asked would you like me to get your ball... he was in flipflops and I replied WTF do you think? $35 for dozen XL3000 it took 1 1/2 hours to find in Acapulco was a fun trip. So after the third hole I told him to get over and just sit there. I took his dirty towel and wet it so I could clean my knock-off Callaway clubs. Note: Clubs are much shorter made than US standards. :D Anyway finished 18 and he had nerve to reach out his hand... so I shook it. He was wanting a tip. He didn't like that and ran to get his Caddy Master. I told him he didn't do anything and shouldn't be anywhere near a golf course. Caddy Master knew I wasn't happy and let the guy have it right there. My spanish isn't great but I knew there were several 4 letters words and don't come back was said.

Second experience was fore caddy at Harbour Town where they play The Heritage at. I've walked this course many times during the Heritage and watched in on TV for years. So I already know where to hit the ball and where not to. It was myself, littlepingman, and his dad that day playing. We play the tips usually anywhere we go and today would be no different. The course is short but very tight and placement is key. Starter was very nice then introduced to our four caddy. I wasn't happy we had to have a babysitter but what it ended up being. We had guy that got put with us that just got off a plane which was about a 25+ handicap. We told FC we were playing the tips and guess he doubted us. Then with other guy came he thought we all should move a set tees up. I'm like no.. We are playing the tips and he can play ladies tees for all I care. We went to trouble to make a tee time not just show up. I've seen the pro-ams there and it would be 3w/hybrids, and even some long irons off the tee since we be too far into the dogleg to have our next shot in. So we played tips and guy played next tees up. Fore caddy would spout off way too many numbers when on tee or shot in. I told him I would just like yardage to flag, carry bunker, or how far to trouble. Chris, myself, and his dad pretty much all play this way. What do I have and what to I need to carry. Not alot of other stuff that I don't need to know. It was cartpath only so it was a pain to have to look and guess what yardage was and take clubs. I would have rather just walked if I knew this beforehand. The forecaddy took most of the time helping and finding the ball of the other guy which was fine. I had Bushnell with me so we had idea what we had. The fore caddy must be used to giving out all the numbers and had hard time just answering simple yardage question without telling you everything. I didn't care for that and made round much less enjoyable.

I know fore caddy and caddy are completely different. I would like to play with a caddy again but I would like it where we were walking the course not riding in a cart. Hopefully the next time I will have a good caddy for a change.

I've played with a buddy who helped me through the course and i played pretty well. you have to make sure your caddy is someone you can trust and knows your game and you as a person well. That way you will have a winning team and you will be able to go out and play golf.

I've had a fore caddy and "caddy" on 1 occasion and both were horrible experience.

First "caddy" I will use that term very lightly when I played a round in Acapulco on my honeymoon. This course was owned by the hotel/resort we were staying at. It was pretty much take anyone off the street that would like to make some money. The guy was clueless about the course, which way holes went, yardage, etc. We rode in cart and they wanted him to drive which I didn't care for but I was like whatever. On first hole I asked how does this hole play or anything I should know. It had blind landing area since it was pretty uphill and then went down but I couldn't see that from the tee. There are no pictures on scorecards or hole marker is why I asked. He had puzzled look so I asked him in spanish still the same look. So I hit and top the hill there is creek that runs down left-hand side of the fairway..... guess where my ball is? I was not happy to begin with so this didn't go well. He asked would you like me to get your ball... he was in flipflops and I replied WTF do you think? $35 for dozen XL3000 it took 1 1/2 hours to find in Acapulco was a fun trip. So after the third hole I told him to get over and just sit there. I took his dirty towel and wet it so I could clean my knock-off Callaway clubs. Note: Clubs are much shorter made than US standards. :D Anyway finished 18 and he had nerve to reach out his hand... so I shook it. He was wanting a tip. He didn't like that and ran to get his Caddy Master. I told him he didn't do anything and shouldn't be anywhere near a golf course. Caddy Master knew I wasn't happy and let the guy have it right there. My spanish isn't great but I knew there were several 4 letters words and don't come back was said.

Second experience was fore caddy at Harbour Town where they play The Heritage at. I've walked this course many times during the Heritage and watched in on TV for years. So I already know where to hit the ball and where not to. It was myself, littlepingman, and his dad that day playing. We play the tips usually anywhere we go and today would be no different. The course is short but very tight and placement is key. Starter was very nice then introduced to our four caddy. I wasn't happy we had to have a babysitter but what it ended up being. We had guy that got put with us that just got off a plane which was about a 25+ handicap. We told FC we were playing the tips and guess he doubted us. Then with other guy came he thought we all should move a set tees up. I'm like no.. We are playing the tips and he can play ladies tees for all I care. We went to trouble to make a tee time not just show up. I've seen the pro-ams there and it would be 3w/hybrids, and even some long irons off the tee since we be too far into the dogleg to have our next shot in. So we played tips and guy played next tees up. Fore caddy would spout off way too many numbers when on tee or shot in. I told him I would just like yardage to flag, carry bunker, or how far to trouble. Chris, myself, and his dad pretty much all play this way. What do I have and what to I need to carry. Not alot of other stuff that I don't need to know. It was cartpath only so it was a pain to have to look and guess what yardage was and take clubs. I would have rather just walked if I knew this beforehand. The forecaddy took most of the time helping and finding the ball of the other guy which was fine. I had Bushnell with me so we had idea what we had. The fore caddy must be used to giving out all the numbers and had hard time just answering simple yardage question without telling you everything. I didn't care for that and made round much less enjoyable.

I know fore caddy and caddy are completely different. I would like to play with a caddy again but I would like it where we were walking the course not riding in a cart. Hopefully the next time I will have a good caddy for a change.

I don't need to know that I have 48 yards to the pin. The guy was ridiculous.

I don't need to know that I have 48 yards to the pin. The guy was ridiculous.

I was upset he didn't tell me there was a root underneath the pinestaw on #1. :D

Played with a caddy three times in corporate outings at Doral. Have improved my game and scoring all three times. Helps with the course management and reading the greens.

The only time I had a caddy was at Valhala. None of us in the group had played the course before so they were helpful in telling us about trouble we couldn't see and where the best place to hit the ball to was. What bothered me was that sometimes they would stand in the middle of the fairway as aiming points. Now they were far enough away that we wouldn't hit them, but it was still distracting. They also didn't know our games (yardages, flight patterns, etc) and they would give us unsolicited advice on shots. Since none of us ever played with a caddy, we had no idea of what to tip. We had 3 caddies for four of us, so one double bagged each 4 holes. We asked a member, when we got done, what was the norm. We ended up eaching giving $90 to the caddies. We didn't pay for the round, so it wasn't such a bad deal.

Caddie rates vary by course and by caddie class. The best way is to check with the pro shop. Generally the higher end clubs are $60-75 a bag, so what you paid seems about right.

If I had my own personal caddie like the pro's i would prob be a stud , but just one caddie for a day wouldn't do much for me maybe cost me some strokes

I disagree. A good caddie will figure out your game in 2 or 3 holes, and would be very beneficial regardless on a course you are not familiar with. A great caddie will be able to help you read greens, tell you where not to hit it, and will act as a sounding board when going thru your preshot thought process. Of course, much of the interaction should depend on you and how much advice you ask for. When I was a caddie, I usually made it known before we got to the first tee that I was a decent golfer and new the course very well (Good questions to ALWAYS ask - do you play golf? of so what's your handicap? How long have you been a caddie?). I always gave certain advice (yardage, wind, distance to play, where not to miss) but would only suggest clubs or read greens when asked since I found that to be a personal preference. That doesn't mean if I thought my guy pulled the wrong club I wouldn't reiterate something like "you don't want to go long" if I thought he had too much club.

I have some found memories of being a looper. In the semifinals of the club championship my guy was 4 down after 5. He blocks his tee shot way right on #6 (Par 4). His competitor knocks his drive down the middle. Up until that point we didn't have much interaction (1st time I carried for him - his regular guy couldn't work that day and asked me to fill in). I suggested he play down the 15th hole which ran parallel, and figured out he need to hit a 160 yd shot to have a clear 3rd to the green. Hits the shot where I tell him. Knocks the next one to 12 feet and asks me to read the putt. He drained the putt and the other guy fails to get up and down. From that point on we just clicked and won the match on #15. Other great memory was in a qualifier for the Associations open tournament. Caddied for a club pro who shot a 67 and was the medalists. I would tell him where to hit it and he hit it exactly where I said. Easily the best round of golf I have ever been on the bag for. He hooked me up with a nice tip (not to mention I drove a cart all day) and plus offered me a round at his course.

Back