Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I play better with a caddy

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
With all this talk about the Morgan cup and pressure. I am curious as to how you guys think you would play if you had a caddy? Could be tournament or regular play but how would you play? Worse? Better?

I have had a caddy before in a tournament and most of the ones this year caddies are allowed. For me I play worse, it's a once in a blue moon thing and I think I get so excited about how professional I feel and walking down the course without a bag strapped to my shoulders it gets in my head. It's nice to have a bit of a companion there to talk to because I don't talk much to the other players. If you have a good one they give good advice too and can really help you think out decisions.

Anyways if you have played with a caddy before in a serious tournament, how did you like it? Do you think it helped you or put more of a damper and distraction on your game instead? Share you're thoughts!

Last edited:
I've only had one once and he was a par caddy, but the guy knew the greens like no ones business and even helped me aim for specific spots from the fw because it would give the best area to putt from. He helped me, but Im sure thats not for everyone.

I can't say I've played in a tournament with a caddy, but I've play in tournaments with partners and I don't see that any differently that having a caddy. That being said, I have very few playing partners I would want as a caddy. I have one friend in specific that if by some miracle I was on the Tour tomorrow, I know for sure he would be my caddy. It'd be nice to have someone walk the course with you and talk your shots over with.

I've only had one once and he was a par caddy, but the guy knew the greens like no ones business and even helped me aim for specific spots from the fw because it would give the best area to putt from. He helped me, but Im sure thats not for everyone.

What's a par caddy duey?

No option for "Never had a caddy".

A couple years ago one of my best friends and golfing buddy's caddied for me in the state am. IMO I think he was really able to take the pressure off of me and help me just enjoy being out there. I think you need a caddy that you have a good relationship with and one that truely understands your game to have a succesfull partnership though. Thats to bad that it took you our of your game. Was it someone you knew or was it just a course provided caddy?

I've done it twice with mixed results. The first time was terrible as their personality and mine didn't really mesh. It was more like he was playing the course and I was just the robot swinging the clubs for him.

The second time was awesome and more like thedue's experience. He helped out and could tell when I shot bothered me so would bring up a random topic to chat about to take my focus from the bad shot. The guy was amazing at what he did simply put.

I have never played with a caddy. I'm not sure how the caddy would affect my game. If he knew my game, I think it would help. Plus he could help read the greens. So, yes i guess i am sure it would be better.

I've never played with one but I've often thought I would play better. When I play with my Dad (who is much better than me) I like to talk things over with him and my results seem to be better.

What's a par caddy duey?

He was the only caddy for four of us players. The guy literally ran his butt of from person to person giving them the line and club advise. It was pretty cool.

I like the idea of a caddy. They offer caddies for rent, LOL, at Tustin Ranch GC. One of these times I'll have to take up the offer :wink: I asked my instructor if he does "on the course lessons" and unfortuately he's way too busy with lessons 10 hours a day that he doesn't have time. My previous instructor went on the course with me and it was fun, she was my caddy :wink:

I have played quit a few tournaments with a caddy and they are great if they know your game. If it is just a course that requires caddies then I can set it not being advantagious, but one on one caddys are great! My caddy saved me a least two strokes a round when I was playing.

I won the Father/Son Proam with Tom Lehman using a caddy at Championsgate. One of the top days of golf I have experienced in my life time.

With all this talk about the Morgan cup and pressure. I am curious as to how you guys think you would play if you had a caddy? Could be tournament or regular play but how would you play? Worse? Better?

I have had a caddy before in a tournament and most of the ones this year caddies are allowed. For me I play worse, it's a once in a blue moon thing and I think I get so excited about how professional I feel and walking down the course without a bag strapped to my shoulders it gets in my head. It's nice to have a bit of a companion there to talk to because I don't talk much to the other players. If you have a good one they give good advice too and can really help you think out decisions.

Anyways if you have played with a caddy before in a serious tournament, how did you like it? Do you think it helped you or put more of a damper and distraction on your game instead? Share you're thoughts!

He was the only caddy for four of us players. The guy literally ran his butt of from person to person giving them the line and club advise. It was pretty cool.

Poor guy, that's a lot of work for just one person!

Like a few others, never had the option to play with one, but would love to. Could help me if it's a course I've never played before and it was a course caddy, but I'm pretty sure my game wouldn't be any different, since I would still have to execute the shots. I would just know that my misses were bigger than I might have thought they were.

I think caddies are overrated. They can help, but mostly on the green.

From the iPhone.

A couple years ago one of my best friends and golfing buddy's caddied for me in the state am. IMO I think he was really able to take the pressure off of me and help me just enjoy being out there. I think you need a caddy that you have a good relationship with and one that truely understands your game to have a succesfull partnership though. Thats to bad that it took you our of your game. Was it someone you knew or was it just a course provided caddy?

Yes it was course provided, so you have to spend a round or so to actually get comfortable with them and such, my next caddy will be a good friend who knows my game so I know it will be better.

Sorry about not having the "Never Had a Caddy" option guys. Not sure how to add one now.

Never had an actual caddy either. I have golfed a few times with the club pro and he often told me what club to use for the different approaches. He was great for giving me tips on and around the green. Very thankful for that! Of course I would still impress him with my distance into the trees!! Or turning that birdie putt into a bogie putt with three easy swings!!

Never had one. But, I bet a good one is worth 3-4 shots a round.

Never had one but I think one would help me with the mental mistakes I sometimes make like going for a shot I shouldn't.

Poor guy, that's a lot of work for just one person!

It was brutal. This guy was 80 years old and ran beside our carts. Only on a couple holes did he jump on the back of a cart because it was a long way to the next hole. That day was well over 100 degrees and we were sweltering, not this old dude, he ran circles around all of us.

He did it every day as a job, but we tipped him extremely well. Here's a picture of him:

P1020740.jpg

A lot of people forget a caddy can be there for the mental side of your game as well. I think it would be great to have someone there to calm you down and keep you relaxed.

I usually never take a caddie but for last years state am qualifying I decided to have my brother in law caddie for me and it was GREAT!! We are both very similar to each other in distances and his input was vital to me qualifying for the state am last year. I also noticed that i was a lot fresher through out the entire round and did not have the fatigue that can set in during a 90% humidity summer day in Wisconsin.

I've never had a caddy, but have often wondered what it would be like.

Back