How young is too young?

mytime

My tounge betrays me.
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
As most of you know I just had a son, well I had a part in it anyway. LOL My question is what age should I get him started with golf? I want him to like the game as much as I do but I don't want to shove it down his throat either. My dad started me in baseball at 3 and by the time I was in High school I was burned out. I don't want to do that to him. Any opinions are welcome.

Around here, kids' lessons start at about age 7, and even then it's not serious. The point is to make it fun. You have a huge advantage already, simply because he's gonna want to be like Daddy. Let him hang out and chip balls with you in the yard. Maybe take him to the range (don't expect to get any actual practice in) and let him watch you hit a small bucket--but be sure to take him to the mini golf as part of the trip. That sort of thing. Don't worry about his swing. Just focus on making it fun for him.

Toy clubs are worthless, and I have no clue how small kids' clubs come. Don't even look into it until he shows actual signs of wanting to be like Daddy.

You'll have a blast together, but maybe not for a few years.

Claire's got it.

Give him some clubs, and let him whack away. There will be some frustration from time to time, but just let him have fun. Let him take a 'baseball' or '10 finger' grip, and swing away.

US Kids Golf makes the best kids stuff I've found (and it's what my daughter plays):

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/index.cfm

After raising two daughters, and working with 4 Grand Children who can all get around a course pretty well, all I can say is that you will know when the time is right. The problem lies in just how well the child wants to play versus how well his/her parent (teacher) wants them to play. Both need to be on common ground, and the teacher needs to know when enough is is enough. One of my daughter plays very well, the other not so well, but we still have fun times when the three of us play. Same with my Grand Children. I have one that could play very well if he wanted to. I have another who struggles to play well, but always has a club in her hand. The third Grand Child can hit the ball well enough to have a good time, which is all she wants. The fourth could care less about playing golf, unless it is one of those video golf games.

Just a note. I introduced all my family to golf by letting them learn the game backwards. By that I mean they started on the greens putting, and then when proficient with a putter, we would move off the green and into chipping. Example; If it were a par 5, they would start from the farthest part of the green and had 5 putts for par on that hole. Same with the par 3s, and 4s. Once they were putting under par, we would move off the green, and they would have 5, 4, or 3 chips, and/or putts to make par. Once they could chip, and putt under par, we would move farther from the pin. Eventually they would reach the 150 marker, and later on would be playing from their own respective tee box. Three things went on here. One was they could play with Dad, or Grand Pa, and be competitive, while I was hitting from the tee box. Two, they were learning their own version of their short game. Three, they were having fun.

One last thing. Be careful about using cut down clubs. The weight of these cut down clubs (imo) is not a good choice for youngsters. :comp::comp:

Sounds like some good advice already, I know at the golf camp that my daughter is going to there are a couple of 5 year old boys (twins). I think some of the kids clubs are for 3-5 years.

I have a son that's 3 1/2. I bought him a starter set of clubs for his birthday (driver, 9i, putter). I have a net and mat at home and I just let him whack at it. I help him get setup to the ball (how far away to stand and getting the ball centered), but beyond that I just let him use is natural tendencies. He does surprisingly well.

I never make him do it. He always asked to "hit golf" when I would be practicing so I got him his own stuff.

My father started me at 3. My best advice as someone who teaches many juniors is let him have fun with it now. Don't worry about anything other than him having fun just wailing away at the ball. If the interest is still there around age 7 look for some junior camps and programs. 1 on 1 lessons won't help at that age unless he loves the game. The camps and such are a fun atmosphere with a number of kids of the same age and skill level and makes the game more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Related question: how young is too young to bring 'em to the course so at least some of us can play? I.e., can you stick a helmet on the little bugger and switch off with wifey holding 'em in the cart, or is this idea likely to be frowned upon by the marshals, better parents, and golfers-unaccompanied-by-children in one's immediate presence?

Related question: how young is too young to bring 'em to the course so at least some of us can play? I.e., can you stick a helmet on the little bugger and switch off with wifey holding 'em in the cart, or is this idea likely to be frowned upon by the marshals, better parents, and golfers-unaccompanied-by-children in one's immediate presence?

Sadly, not a great idea and much frowned upon. In a couple of years, a middle school girl can take her onto the putt putt while you play real golf.

I feared as much.

Every time I see this thread I keep thinking, "I bet this isn't about what Harry thought it was going to be about!":wink:

Every time I see this thread I keep thinking, "I bet this isn't about what Harry thought it was going to be about!":wink:

quagmire.gif

Giggity-Giggity!

My opinion is start them as soon as they want to start playing. I was strongly encouraged to play when I was younger and developed a strong dislike for the game until I returned under "my own terms" in my mid 20's and now I love it more than ever.

That's a great article. Except now I feel woefully inadequate.

Back