Humidity affecting feel...

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I need to share this...

Killing time this afternoon I stopped into a retailer and hit some demo clubs. Asked to demo a Callaway utility iron. The associate then says...

"You don't see a lot of Callaway clubs played up here. They're more of a Southern brand."

Oh? Why is that?

"Callaway's have a very specific feel that feels better where it's more humid."

So, does anybody have recomendations for clubs that feel best in the kinda humid Summers of NE Wisconsin?

He really said that? I don't think I have ever heard such a thing about a club. Humidity will effect the ball distance.

Sounds like Hooey to me ;). That's a great midwestern word haha

He really said that? I don't think I have ever heard such a thing about a club. Humidity will effect the ball distance.
Yup. Blew my mind.

Surely he was just having a crack!??!?!?

Where do they think these things up?

Surely he was just having a crack!??!?!?
Nope. He put together Titleist irons for me to hit because they used better metals for Wisconsin.

That gave me a hint where he got th is poppycock.

Nope. He put together Titleist irons for me to hit because they used better metals for Wisconsin.

That gave me a hint where he got th is poppycock.
Maybe the Titleist incentive is greater for him, hard to say. Either way, I can't imagine someone either: a) making that up, b) believing it!

Probably gets a spiff from another brand. What did he recommend?

I recommend Callaway for Wisconsin weather. :ROFLMAO:

I also recommend the middle of the club face.

(not that I can find it all that often, but I hear it makes things feel better)

Damn he’s resorting to the snake oil sales pitch now haha

Not in a good way either.

what do you mean "not in a good way?" I've always heard that humidity makes the ball travel farther. quick googling suggests that this is true, but the increase in carry is negligible, only about a yard or two.

what do you mean "not in a good way?" I've always heard that humidity makes the ball travel farther. quick googling suggests that this is true, but the increase in carry is negligible, only about a yard or two.
I have found that in very dense, humid air I need to hit an extra club on every shot. Hot dry air, on the other hand, the ball travels for miles.

I understand that the "science" says that humidity has virtually no effect on ball flight, but I'm going off my experiences playing in deserts and tropical islands. On cold days, and hot days. Rain, and sun, etc.

If you're carrying a 2 handicap with all that Callaway stuff in your bag and you live in WI, just imagine what you could be doing if you had Titleist stuff in the bag instead!

Humidity will effect ball flight. It will also effect the golfer over all feeling of health. I wouldn't buy into humidity effecting the feel of the club.

July and August around here are high humidity months. It's our so called monsoon season. Humidity around here usually means heavy rains, as in thunder storms are in our golfing future. Lightening, and flash flooding tends to make golfing difficult.

Those two months along with the higher temps associated with the humidity, can cause a golfer to dehydrate much faster. Dehydration is a serious health issue. Dehydration will effect the golfer's feel of any brand club used.

Higher humidity effects on a golf ball's flight allow for longer carries. The ball will go a few yards further.

I wonder if Callaway has a specific feel club for colder, freezing, wind chill weather.......

He said that with a straight face? Maybe that boy should go to school once in a while.

I will write that down...

"Don't be bad at golf."

It’s pretty dry here and have a full bag of Callaway clubs. Looks like I either have to buy new clubs or move.

Looks like all of us desert guys better get rid of our Callaways. :rolleyes:

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I will write that down...

"Don't be bad at golf."

I think the other take away here is that whoever the Callaway rep is in Northeastern Wisconsin, they need to do a bit better job with market penetration.

Titleist guys (and to a *much* lesser extent TaylorMade) definitely run the show around here.

Looks like all of us desert guys better get rid of our Callaways. :rolleyes:

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
Funny how nobody down here in the dry dez has ever warned us that Callaway clubs don't perform well here. I mean, you'd think they'd know! :ROFLMAO:

I think the other take away here is that whoever the Callaway rep is in Northeastern Wisconsin, they need to do a bit better job with market penetration.

Titleist guys (and to a *much* lesser extent TaylorMade) definitely run the show around here.
Not wrong.

Back