Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome stuff...thanks. I'd love to make a trip out to the mid west to hunt but alas, I'm a public school teacher on the East coast and while I get a ton of time off from work, I cannot take a full week in the fall months to travel so we're relegated to hunting stocked birds off of my gun club.

As a school teachers kid I can appreciate the lack of flexibility during the school year.

The season in SD does run a really long time. I believe that late season ends in mid- January. Now you just need to talk to the family into a "vacation" to SD in the middle of winter....

Was lucky to get another buck today. Just love my Scorpyd crossbow!

I was hunting on my Mom's 80 acres and got a good shot at 30 yards this afternoon!

We really eat a lot of venison bacon and hotdogs...most of this will go to my Mom and brother! 758D19D0-BDC0-499C-9C6F-06AF91A16373.jpegA8979846-DCC4-428A-8943-7E354B411CF8.jpeg

Got in a nice late season hunt with Whip on Saturday. 2 points, 2 birds on two shots!

There was a pheasant in that clump of grass. Now it's in the freezer!

TMipmG4.jpg

Hey guys. Was quite a day. Had been sitting in my redneck gillie blind overlooking food plots. With sunny skies, we didn't feel a buck would show in daylight so headed to a double ladder stand in the woods I've sat in many times, always see deer here.

I got in the stand at 2:53 cause I texted my buddy I was set. I'm on a ridge with the low area between ridges they call big buck alley straight ahead, coming to my right and behind me. Heard a squirrel coming and almost crapped when I saw it was a buck with a rack. Barely was ready but got my Scorpyd off the holder, ranged an opening at 31 yards and made sure I was set. It was a small window and couldn't get a shot! A little way ahead was another opening, ranged at 41 yards and got ready. When he steps in, I let out a bah with my mouth and he stopped perfect for me, slightly quarter away and I took the shot. Could see my firenock hit well. The buck ran up the hill to the left, could hear him fall or run into something, he came back towards me and fell 69 yards away...but didn't move again.

I'm so fired up, he's my first 10 pointer, main 5x4 with a sticker my his left brow tine.

Here's that shot, just past the yellow leaves
View attachment 9041245View attachment 9041246View attachment 9041247View attachment 9041248

Just love my 2016 Scorpyd Orion - 135 crossbow!!!
Nice deer! I love the extra kicker (y)

It's a great day when I pick up 60lbs of venison bacon and 48lbs of venison hotdogs! 🦌 🥓🌭

4FCF9D27-D126-4D6A-8455-6B04984697FF.jpegA7484E20-CDF3-4C8D-9FB6-8AC68ADDE424.jpeg

Got a chance for a last second one day hunt and it was pouring down raining but made it happen! Can't wait to have the venison in the freezer!!
20211230_074705.jpg

Wow, I didnt know this thread existed... Hunting is my first hobby, mainly deer and turkey and some small game. Golf is my 2nd favorite hobby, mostly summer activity. Hunting takes over in October thru December for deer, then March and April for turkey, then on to Golf.... Looks like you guys are having good luck... I got a nice 8 point mid November here in GA. Ate Venison Tenderloin last evening for dinner.
IMG_3777D.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, I didnt know this thread existed... Hunting is my first hobby, mainly deer and turkey and some small game. Golf is my 2nd favorite hobby, mostly summer activity. Hunting takes over in October thru December for deer, then March and April for turkey, then on to Golf.... Looks like you guys are having good luck... I got a nice 8 point mid November here in GA. Ate Venison Tenderloin last evening for dinner.
View attachment 9057510
Nice buck, congrats!

I feel the same and have a switch that flips in January to golf and in late Sept back to hunting!

God, everyone with their big bucks! You're missing out on the tenderness of shooting a little one - affectionately known as a 'duffel doe'
6JmqrFd.jpg

iwxocbj.jpg

zNdV252.jpg

This video is a buddy of mine with a real trophy. He calls me at 8am and asks me if I will bring my truck to help him get a buck out of the timber. I didn't understand the situation, so I told him to drag it out like a real man! He got pissed but I couldn't help him anyway, as I was half way to St Louis to pick up a buddy from the airport.
The story: He was in his blind when he heard a splashing sound from the stream behind him. At first he couldn't see anything. He heard more splashing and he finally saw this big buck dragging another big buck, around the stream. He called the sheriff before he took the shot, to get permission and an extra tag.

Didn't get to do much hunting this year, but I was able to break in my 6.5 PRC on this hog. He was about 450yds away.
3d8900bd7c3be73bf73c9dd406769aba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Real small target from 450y, GREAT shooting!!!

Real small target from 450y, GREAT shooting!!!
Thanks, not as hard as it seems. A little practice, know your ballistics, a steady rest and your golden. Shot this guy in 2017. He wasnt big antler wise, but this was my first elk and the last day of my hunt. He was a little over 500yds.20171117_095520.jpg

Thanks, not as hard as it seems. A little practice, know your ballistics, a steady rest and your golden. Shot this guy in 2017. He wasnt big antler wise, but this was my first elk and the last day of my hunt. He was a little over 500yds.View attachment 9064476

Congrats on the hunts!

Hard to find lefty rifles. I have the unfortunate luck of being right handed, but left eye dominant. So I shoot left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the hunts!

Hard to find lefty rifles. I have the unfortunate luck of being right handed, but left eye dominant. So I shoot left handed.

Thanks. Planning my next hunt this fall for antelope in Wyoming with my dad. Should be a fun hunt.

Thanks. Planning my next hunt this fall for antelope in Wyoming with my dad. Should be a fun hunt.

My buddy is headed out that way in October.

Wyoming guy checking in here! Where are you headed @capt.dru?
We are applying for unit 61,63, and I think 59. I dont really remember off hand. I have them written down at home. Do you recommend any units I should apply for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back