Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm down in southern Illinois hunting now for a week. I've seen lots of deer but no shooters. My two buddies have each shot a deer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

548110A0-C923-4105-AAB9-4B90A5580711.jpegHad a great Goose shoot this morning. Pictured is my buddies Grand Champion lab, Maverick.

I haven't had a chance to deer hunt this year. But duck season is a little over a week away and I'm PUMPED!!!!

I very much think next year will mark me getting back into hunting. Haven't been out in a decade. That needs to be remedied, I miss it.

I probably won't get a chance until January. Hopefully get over to my buddy's place in Alabama. The six hour drive with my friend Matt was just as good as the deer we got last time.

I finally got out this week.

3 arrows, zero deer.

Day 1 - Not a lot, see a doe. Decide she is going into the freezer. Waiting for her to come into my lane, and I see a buck following her. OK, I'll wait for him. He is just about in shooting lane, when I hear a stomp behind me. Turn around, MONSTER buck. OK, he is the first one now. Slowly turn around to get a shot on him. He finally puts his head down, so I draw. And failed to see his doe looking right at me. She spooks, he spooks, the other two spook.

Monster goes into the woods, and decides to circle back. He walks right into an opening. My rangefinder is dead, so I have to eyeball it. I am thinking 40 yards. Let it go, and sail right over him. It was 32.

Day 2 - Doe and nice buck. Buck comes into opening. I call it 40 yards again. Sail it over him. It was 29.

Day 3 - I go around my stand and mark 20 and 30 yard ranges, so I have references. Duh.

Day 4 - Nice heavy doe. She parks herself right under a 20 yard tape. Draw, loose and smack. Shoulder hit. She runs off and settles down at about 70 yards. I figure she will die, so I sit, as you are supposed to. 5 minutes later, I hear her get up and go crashing through the woods. Crap. Spent 2 hours looking for her, but I could not recover. Always makes me feel like crap when this happens.

Day 5 - Sitting in the stand, not a lot happening. It is 7 AM, I have to go to work. So I hang up the bow, stand up, fold back the seat, turn around to get on the ladder, and 5 yards away, behind my stand, is another nice buck. We lock eyes, and he runs. Crap. Tried to stop him with a "merp" and he does, right at 30, and right behind a tree. All I see is tree trunk and antlers on each side.

So as a hunter I make a pretty good IT guy.

Going to lay off that stand for a couple days and hit it hard Friday and Saturday

I finally got out this week.

3 arrows, zero deer.

Day 1 - Not a lot, see a doe. Decide she is going into the freezer. Waiting for her to come into my lane, and I see a buck following her. OK, I'll wait for him. He is just about in shooting lane, when I hear a stomp behind me. Turn around, MONSTER buck. OK, he is the first one now. Slowly turn around to get a shot on him. He finally puts his head down, so I draw. And failed to see his doe looking right at me. She spooks, he spooks, the other two spook.

Monster goes into the woods, and decides to circle back. He walks right into an opening. My rangefinder is dead, so I have to eyeball it. I am thinking 40 yards. Let it go, and sail right over him. It was 32.

Day 2 - Doe and nice buck. Buck comes into opening. I call it 40 yards again. Sail it over him. It was 29.

Day 3 - I go around my stand and mark 20 and 30 yard ranges, so I have references. Duh.

Day 4 - Nice heavy doe. She parks herself right under a 20 yard tape. Draw, loose and smack. Shoulder hit. She runs off and settles down at about 70 yards. I figure she will die, so I sit, as you are supposed to. 5 minutes later, I hear her get up and go crashing through the woods. Crap. Spent 2 hours looking for her, but I could not recover. Always makes me feel like crap when this happens.

Day 5 - Sitting in the stand, not a lot happening. It is 7 AM, I have to go to work. So I hang up the bow, stand up, fold back the seat, turn around to get on the ladder, and 5 yards away, behind my stand, is another nice buck. We lock eyes, and he runs. Crap. Tried to stop him with a "merp" and he does, right at 30, and right behind a tree. All I see is tree trunk and antlers on each side.

So as a hunter I make a pretty good IT guy.

Going to lay off that stand for a couple days and hit it hard Friday and Saturday
That’s a pretty eventful week. Good luck getting one.

Son got his first buck weekend before last. He's been on 2 hunts. Both times he was tagged out in less than half an hour! I spend countless hours and don't have that kind of luck. Gun season opens this weekend in Mississippi so it's on for the next 2.5 months. Told the wife I'll see her Monday - Thursday until February.
2515d63600d073f76921230e1cc12b8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Told the wife I'll see her Monday - Thursday until February.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
"We been here at least a week, what day is it?"
"Thursday."
"No, I mean the date."
"Uh, January 32nd?"
"We should go."

Just made a score at my archery shop.

5 sets of climbing sticks, a ladder stand and a new hanging stand for $200.

I put up the ladder stand tonight and will sit it tomorrow AM.

Mid day tomorrow will be rotating existing stand 180 degrees, so it is better for evening sits.

Then putting up climbing sticks on an existing hanging stand that I haven't had access to and putting the new hanging stand and a set of sticks on a part of the property I don't have a stand on. That should be a good morning stand.

Here's hoping.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Popped my archery cherry. Took a nice doe at sunset. Turned my stand around today and she came right in. Made a good shot and she went down quickly, no suffering.

Just got back in from the woods. Three days out, three days of not seeing anything. I'd have been happy just getting some video or pictures of does, but nothing. As is usually the case, it was nice to be out in the woods.

My father in law got a nice buck up in Michigan last weekend.
992d5349621ed7819c932049015d6614.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nice! G2's & 3's look good. What did it measure overall? 120 range?
Mid 130’s rough score...the short G4 on the left side hurt me a little

Popped my buck cherry.

Not the biggest, but nice spread.
11d1a7b01da6be6f2a2036548af41ac8.jpg
a063e5122a123dd21d9ab51b853eb9ec.jpg
5c3d94a80816f16781141881bc3227c9.jpg
de07849a58598f56f4c149aff88ef060.jpg

Heading back to Illinois tomorrow til Thursday night, I have a date with this boy

I bought my buddy a Redneck soft sided blind and he's set it up on a bean field

C7C709B6-B223-411F-8A80-BFD268402676.jpeg7C13A1F7-FEF8-49DB-8932-3D0042671920.jpeg

We feed wild animals at our out of town get away cabin.

Nothing against those who hunt. I used to be an avid hunter myself. Birds, waterfowl, and bigger game animals, while using either a rifle, and bow.

I spent some time in the military where as a hunter, I was also the hunted in a personal life and/or death environment. Kind of changed my perspective on the idea of hunting animals with a weapon.

These days I hunt with a camera.......lol

No luck this year, so we're eating......

1BFB258E-01C4-46A8-958F-AEF7D3077401.jpeg

Did you see Wisconsin Gun harvest numbers were down 25%!! You were not alone this year.

I didn't. That's bad. Believe they were down last year also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back