Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't. That's bad. Believe they were down last year also
I have not bought a deer license in that state in 5 or 6 years. I used to be hardcore about it too. They really messed up the North Woods.

I have not bought a deer license in that state in 5 or 6 years. I used to be hardcore about it too. They really messed up the North Woods.

I grew up in Price County, and agree. It's horrible up there. Really sad

I used to hunt Price and Lincoln Counties near Spirit Falls.

wow, I'm from Tripoli, so quite familiar with Spirit Falls

It saddens me to hear the problems you guys have up there.

PA has an interesting system, but it seems to be working pretty well.

You get 1 buck a year, and it must have 3 points on each side. That has led to some really nice bucks being taken and allows the little guys time to become big guys.

You also have to purchase a permit for each doe, and there is an allocation for each WMU.

These two practices have kept the herd at a healthy level and improved the quality of bucks being taken.

NJ has another interesting concept. Earn a Buck. You have to take a doe before you can take a buck. No limit on does. But after your first buck, you have to take another doe, before you can buy another buck stamp. It helps keep the herd in check, but not a lot of good bucks come out of NJ.

Earn a buck was the beginning of the end in Wisconsin. Run!

Don’t mind the 3 points a side rule. But it’s a struggle to see a deer up north these days and many units are buck only now and have been that way for a few years with very little improvement in deer numbers/sightings.

Had an awesome time pheasant hunting at a private reserve yesterday. It was a bit windy which hurt us but I think we ended up with 16 birds. Not bad for 2 first timers!

6AF9965C-93DC-4696-91FC-A9FC9D29BF7A.jpeg
E3ADAA38-0421-43F3-B622-6BB9CE816C86.jpeg

56E525AF-6438-4AB5-8F71-AD81A290712D.jpeg

Stryker,

That is a beautiful looking Brit!

I have two Brits, 12 years old and 2 years old. Take them grouse hunting as much as time allows on weekends.

Occasionally take them pheasant hunting on public land with my grandson.

1921948874a6a9a718bd1ef5c4151fa0.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Picked up a used Scorpyd Grim Reaper. Shoots like a dream.

Fired up to hunt with this bad boy (y)

590043FF-A164-401D-A7FD-723C8F884751.jpeg

Called this big ole Tom in to about 30 yards for my buddy this morning. He came gobbling and strutting the whole way. 23lbs almost 12” beard and both spurs about 1.25”. Not bad at all for a Virginia Tom and my friend’s first bird.

7C47DBD6-F9A6-4C23-96AD-C29758AC2F0B.jpeg

Helped my wife and nephew get bucks last weekend. Both used a Scorpyd crossbow, Spynal Tapp arrows and Truglo 4 blade expandable broadheads.

They're happy hunters!!

A3623C17-E481-4908-9268-7ECD0C97B734.jpeg33E3CE7A-BFC4-4DDD-8E35-DA0C5A42D726.jpeg

I have a few decent bucks on camera but I also have a pile of black bear. Should be an interesting season.

Was in the woods 5 AM Saturday. Couple little guys and a small doe.

Afternoon sit in another stand didn't see anything.

I have cell game cameras. Literally nothing in the entire woods yesterday afternoon, except me, lol.

I love the pursuit. Today I put in fresh batteries in all cameras, should hold me most of the season.

Going to overseed my plots with Rye as soon as some rain is in the forecast.

I am fortunate to have a 5 month season, so I'm picky.

Wow, so glad I found this thread. Happy to see other proud hunters on here. Two weeks until opening day here! Just got done doing the yearly check on the Summit. This will be my first year going upland hunting as well. Currently searching around for an over/under, but almost every shop around me is soldout of EVERYTHING.

Great pics! Good luck to you all.

Today was opening day for an early 3 day black bear firearms season in VA. I had to take the kids to school this morning so we did not get out in a stand until 9am.
Still, I saw several deer, a flock of hen turkeys in bow range, a small bear I let walk, and a momma bear with 2 cubs at 30 yards. Pretty productive for a late start. Starting raining about 4 so we cut out early too.

I've sat a few times since opener on the 19th. Passed on deer I would shoot in November. Biggest deciding factor is the need to process same day this time of year, so if I take something end of day, by the time I field dress, transport and butcher, I'll be at midnight or later, and still have to go to work next day.

Right now, it looks like Wed-Fri is gonna be primetime near me.

Opening day for deer archery is Saturday here. It will be about 40* in the morning with a high around 64*. Not too shabby this time of year. I have seen it in the 90s. Looking forward to a day of just relaxing in the woods!

I've been getting back into shape lately. I've been mostly shooting a recurve with my daughter and the compound feels different. Fortunately it's a lot easier to shoot longer ranges with more accuracy20200929_180959.jpg

Picked up some venison from the processor today including about 12 sticks of summer sausage. Man I already have one thawing out for snacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back