Hybrid for the senior golfer where distance is king.

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Senior golfer. I don't have problems hitting my hybrid, but just wondering what other senior golfers are using to maximize their distance.

I've gamed Mizuno CLK hybrids for the last several years. They have Speeder Evolution HD shafts, 60 grams F2. I average 165 with my H5, and 180 with my H4, which fits my gaps quite well. I have found them to be easy to hit and quite consistent for both distance and shot shape. I do tend to hit a draw with them, with the drawback being that I sometimes overcook that draw.

I've also seen similar results from Cobra hybrids in the past. While I've heard and read good things about other brands, Mizuno and Cobra hybrids are usually a good choice for senior golfers, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I still use a 3,5 hybrid, have been thinking of 7,9 wood.

I recently acquired Mavrik Max 6 and 7 hybrids with Catalyst 65 5.5 shafts (got a screaming deal at CPO). As the lofts are 27* and 30*, respectively, I use them as 5i and 6i replacements. These clubs are easy to hit, not hook machines and gap well with my Ping G710 7i, which has about the same loft as my 7H.

I’m seriously considering buying a Sub 70 949X after hitting it at a demo day recently. The 4 was longer than the Cobra F8 3 hybrid I’m currently using and the 3 was almost as long as my 4W. There 4W was very nice too so I’ll be getting that too later in the summer when the birthday rolls around.

Tour Edge line up is pretty good I heard. I’m not considered a senior golfer…yet, but really enjoyed my first round with the E722 driver.

There are senior golfers and there are other senior golfers. 50 and up. I'm 69 with a very slow swing. One of those other senior golfers. I use a Majek 5 and 6
hybrid made especially for senior golfers. They have done well for me.

Good Golfing

Tour Edge line up is pretty good I heard. I’m not considered a senior golfer…yet, but really enjoyed my first round with the E722 driver.
And the 522 lineup is awesome as well. My C522 hybrids go far, but I have R flex shafts.

Cobra's new Air X line is all about lightweight. Heads and shafts are super light. You barely even have to swing to send it sailing.

7wd - 9wd & 5h helps maximize my height on those longer distances.

Cobra's new Air X line is all about lightweight. Heads and shafts are super light. You barely even have to swing to send it sailing.
I was going to suggest checking out the Cobra lineup. The LTDx and King Tec both fly like crazy. With the right shaft they could be very helpful.

Callaway hybrids have been the “charm” for me. I have a 4 & 5 that I turn down a degree stronger... and a 6 & 7 that are adjusted 2 degrees weaker. That, in effect, makes the 6 play like a 7i and the 7 play like an 8i. My game would suffer without these.

Last edited:
Not a senior yet at 54 but I’ve always found the Tour Edge Exotics line of woods and hybrids to be very long. I pulled them from the bag once I started suffering from the hooks, but my 5 or 6 year old Exotics EX9 hybrids (have the 17*, 19*, 22*, 25*) are way longer for me than other brands I’ve tried.

Matter of fact, had been considering putting the 19* and 22* back in the bag. This thread just may have provided the push.

Good luck!

Good hybrids are like dating at a more mature age. Tough to find one that fits.

I use a 4H.

I've used PXG Gen 1 Hybrids with great success, then went Ping G425. I also used Tour Edge EXS 220. Did not like the TE shafts. But I don't like any OEM shafts and change them out. The Ping has stayed in the bag almost as long as the PXG's and I find it consistent and accurate, and longish - probably not the longest, but they have a lot of tech in that head.

I’m not a big fan of Callaway’s recent product lines, in fact if it weren’t for their frequent trade in bonuses and CPO being such an affordable option, I probably wouldn’t have any of their clubs in my bag.
I do like their GI and SGI hybrids though. They always played longer than just about everyone else’s for me, and that’s what I look for in those clubs…. Distance.
That said Cleveland is well on its way to taking that spot in my bag. Excellent clubs for the Senior player.

At 62, Hybrids are hook machines for me. I can still launch a T300 4 iron, but I prefer to hit M6 5, 7 & 9 woods on days the wind isn't blowing too hard, because I can hit them so incredibly high out of even fairly ugly lies they will stop, and work them both ways, not just hook them.

Callaway Super Hybrid’s are advertised as longer, I picked one up and had to loft up to fill a gap.

Have seen good results with Callaway's Max OS Lite hybrids for senior players. It's a lighter weight making it incredible easy to swing, while being quite forgiving. Getting the ball up in the air is vital, and there's a wide variety of lofts available with these.

callaway for sure. they have a ton of hybrid options that cover a wide variety of needs. they do the distance hybrid better than anyone imho

Back