Hybrid Haters Club - Tried Shorter/Heavier

Hated them for a long time and never had one in the bag until the Grandaddy. Really love the Epic Flash hybrid. Not sure I am ready for another though. :D

As has been mentioned already, there are advantages to shorter/heavier, but the same can be said for longer/lighter. It all depends on the user and what they are trying to achieve.

I still believe that anyone can play a hybrid, is just that they haven’t been fitted correctly or found the ‘one’ yet.

I kicked out my 5w for a 19 degree CLK. So far, it's been a really good change. It's as long, but I can hit it from crap lies, and if I have a tight tee shot, it goes pretty well where I want it. Even on most par 4s, if I play it off the tee, I'm not looking at a terribly second shot. If I were smarter, I'd do that more often.

I had tried hybrids in the past, but they were all hook machines for me. I eventually found the Titleist and Mizunos to not be so draw biased, or maybe I just learned to hit them better. I found I liked the CLK better than the Titleist hybrids over a lengthy trial period. I am looking for an 85g Speeder shaft like the 75g that came with it just to play with after watching a hybrid video on that TXG YouTube channel. They were addressing the pull/hook tendency of hybrids, and found that shortening the shaft would effectively get the head flatter, and going heavier produced a more iron-like swing. Something about them being pretty upright in general, and the shorter shaft would bring it in a little closer and lay the head flatter. It made sense when I watched it, and it showed positive results for the guy swinging it, but he really has a great swing to start with. Even if it's from the wrong side of the ball.

That video is what got me investigating this subject. How’d it work out for you?

I have not been a hybrid guy in years.. I would be willing to give it a go again. But I would struggle to really put one in play. I would rather have a wood, or a utility..

I am not a hybrid guy either I am playing a 9w in that spot. I find I don't hook it and get much better results out of it.

not doing well with hybrids these days. I tested my 3h, 3w and a 4i extensively yesterday. that strong draw on that steel 4i turns into a mean hook on that hybrid. It is cleary an ACEsteve issue but I feel that longer shaft and lighter shaft are at play. Hook was present on the 3w as well but not as bad as the hybrid

The shorter shaft and larger head screams “swing the crap out of me”. Once I started letting the club do the work it was a different story.

I hadn’t used a 5W in 20+ years. Tried another and it lasted maybe a few months. 2H was a better fit for me.

I could never get hybrids to work or feel comfortable for me. Worst mistake I made in golf equipment buying to date was letting the sales rep convince me to get a 4H vs. the 4I that the set came with. I haven't found anything that I like about them other than they work well for many folks, so that makes me happy. For me, my long irons just work better.

I was never a huge fan of hybrids till I got my Cobra OL hybrid.
Maybe being slightly shorter than normal is what works but I have kept it in the bag for 4 years.

Hybrids sort of worked for me. When everything came together it was nice. The misses were a mix of toey blocks of the occasional over draw/borderline hook. Never could hit it well off the tee. I think part of it was the desire to want to hit hard...I recently switched to a Utility Iron and it's the best of both worlds. It forces me to concentrate on tempo and is an absolute weapon off the tee. Not bad out of the grass with the wide sole.

That video is what got me investigating this subject. How’d it work out for you?
Sorry about the delay on answering. It was a good change to start with, but didn't work out long term. I've abandoned the CLKs altogether. I like them, but I'm just not that consistent with them. I ended up with the Apex UW. It really seems to suit me better. My bag now goes from 4i to Srixon 3i utility to 17 deg Apex UW to driver. The Apex UW goes almost as good as a 3w did for me. It's been a godsend.

So I hated hated HATED hybrids for years. They were always massive hook machines for me. Which was surprising since I was a chronic slicer with longer clubs. I have honestly lost count of the hybrids I've bought and sold trying things out. I had an awesome combo set of Altitudes and MTs for a bit and it was basically a 7i and up set for all intents and purposes, because I just could not hit the 4/5/6 Altitudes at all. So that ended up getting sold.

What honestly helped me with hybrids the most was learning that I had a false shoulder turn when getting a driver lesson. My swing was much more arms than shoulders/upper body, so my OTT swing with a hybrid resulted in massive pull hooks. With that worked out (for the most part) I bought a Cleveland Launcher 5h from a few years ago to see how things might go, and son of a gun the thing just wants to go straight for me. I pulled my Callaway 4h out of the closet, and sure enough - that one goes high and straight now. Turns out it was most likely never the hybrids - it was me.

So I hated hated HATED hybrids for years. They were always massive hook machines for me. Which was surprising since I was a chronic slicer with longer clubs. I have honestly lost count of the hybrids I've bought and sold trying things out. I had an awesome combo set of Altitudes and MTs for a bit and it was basically a 7i and up set for all intents and purposes, because I just could not hit the 4/5/6 Altitudes at all. So that ended up getting sold.

What honestly helped me with hybrids the most was learning that I had a false shoulder turn when getting a driver lesson. My swing was much more arms than shoulders/upper body, so my OTT swing with a hybrid resulted in massive pull hooks. With that worked out (for the most part) I bought a Cleveland Launcher 5h from a few years ago to see how things might go, and son of a gun the thing just wants to go straight for me. I pulled my Callaway 4h out of the closet, and sure enough - that one goes high and straight now. Turns out it was most likely never the hybrids - it was me.

Moderator, please ban this guy. He's blaming the poor results on himself, not his swing!! Whaaaaaaat this is a golf equipment forum!!!!

I'm also one that's finding out that hybrids work a lot better, and hook a lot less, with a "decent" swing. That said, I don't want a huge draw bias on my hybrid either.

Moderator, please ban this guy. He's blaming the poor results on himself, not his swing!! Whaaaaaaat this is a golf equipment forum!!!!

To be fair, I did buy 10+ hybrids trying to find "the one". From what I can recall off the top of my head...

TaylorMade Rescue and RBZ
Adams Blue and Idea
Callaway X2Hot (still own this one)
Cobra Baffler XL
Cleveland Altitudes and now Launcher
Walter Hagen (DSG store brand)
Wilson D100

I know I'm missing a few too... so I definitely went the club ho route trying to fix the problem when it was really a swing issue. If that doesn't scream "internet golfer" then I don't know what does!

To be fair, I did buy 10+ hybrids trying to find "the one". From what I can recall off the top of my head...

TaylorMade Rescue and RBZ
Adams Blue and Idea
Callaway X2Hot (still own this one)
Cobra Baffler XL
Cleveland Altitudes and now Launcher
Walter Hagen (DSG store brand)
Wilson D100

I know I'm missing a few too... so I definitely went the club ho route trying to fix the problem when it was really a swing issue. If that doesn't scream "internet golfer" then I don't know what does!

OK, ban request rescinded. Close call there.

Back