Great feedback, Matt. I absolutely love the set I’m gaming but after this weekend’s performance I’m thinking about this class of irons ... sometimes you need every ounce of help you can get.

That's where I stand. It's going to be tough to get me away from the Apex, but these really made me think a bit about what I want/need from an iron in the future.

I had a set of the FT iBrids from Callaway. I did not like the hybrid irons in the set at all. I much prefer a wood iron; think the graphite shaft helps so much...

What is a wood iron ?

Seems like W/S or TEE would be the OEMs most likely to put a club out in this style. Looking forward to seeing what it is.

I'm looking for feedback in regards to a hybrid-iron 4 vs an actual 4 hybrid. I recently purchased a 5-PW set of Cleveland HBs. I have an F7 4 hybrid that I'm only somewhat confident in. I usually get good contact but my dispersion can be a guessing game at times. I am considering getting an HB 4 iron in the standard Dynamic Gold shaft. That said, I'm having trouble finding the older model and thus might just order a new turbo.

I'm looking for feedback in regards to a hybrid-iron 4 vs an actual 4 hybrid. I recently purchased a 5-PW set of Cleveland HBs. I have an F7 4 hybrid that I'm only somewhat confident in. I usually get good contact but my dispersion can be a guessing game at times. I am considering getting an HB 4 iron in the standard Dynamic Gold shaft. That said, I'm having trouble finding the older model and thus might just order a new turbo.

I played a Mizuno hybrid iron (the JPX EZ) for a few years and absolutely loved it. More consistent than with a hybrid. I'm sure that a lot of that can be attributed to the shorter shaft, but there was something about it just being the same setup as my irons that I loved.

I had the OG HB Launcher in the 4i the Turbos are night and day as a comparison. The control and accuracy feels significantly better.

It's been over a season and a half since I consistently gamed a 4 hybrid, but with these offerings, I don't see myself going back to a hybrid.

Let's break it down.

Feel/Accuracy:

I get better control and feel out of these hybrid irons. My accuracy in the longer irons is significantly improved compared to the hybrids.

Forgiveness:

Still a forgiving head and face, however the face isn't as hot, as a hybrid face, still seeing good distance on mishits, but no flyers on pure shots.

Workability: Significantly more than a hyrbid for me - off the tee I can work a lot of things turf it's a bit challenging, but these definitely are easier to work left/right off the fairway (can't do anything out of the rough - me not equipment)

Distance: You get the distance you want and need, in the Turbos, they'll get you there, not Pure distance clubs IMO but still very very very good.

If you still require a distance club, and are looking at pure distance, go with a hybrid, but the perfect blend of distance, accuracy and forgiveness you can't go wrong with these.

Much appreciate your response. I realize the Turbos are probably better. I have no doubt that you know your stuff. Buying an older cycle of clubs is simply a reality for a lot of us. 3 kids in college at the same time means you watch your pennies! My F9 driver was the first time I bought a club from the current model year and I only did that because I was lucky enough to get a discount.
I bought the launchers and may very well add a 4 iron in the turbo model. I want the shafts to be consistent. I have the standard DG 98 steel shafts. Given that I'm coming from 10-year-old Cobra S3 irons (great irons actually) I'm hoping the launchers are that much easier to hit.

Seems like W/S or TEE would be the OEMs most likely to put a club out in this style. Looking forward to seeing what it is.
TEE has the CBX iron wood and HL4 Ironwood.

Much appreciate your response. I realize the Turbos are probably better. I have no doubt that you know your stuff. Buying an older cycle of clubs is simply a reality for a lot of us. 3 kids in college at the same time means you watch your pennies! My F9 driver was the first time I bought a club from the current model year and I only did that because I was lucky enough to get a discount.
I bought the launchers and may very well add a 4 iron in the turbo model. I want the shafts to be consistent. I have the standard DG 98 steel shafts. Given that I'm coming from 10-year-old Cobra S3 irons (great irons actually) I'm hoping the launchers are that much easier to hit.

Totally understand life gets in the way of the golf habit:D

Since you’re coming from the OG and the looks aren’t drastically different, I wanted to reinforce the improvements they made to this model

great idea! Just purchased a set of Cleveland HB Launcher irons which should arrive in a week....so definitely looking forward to trying them. Had XLi, HB3 and altitude sets previously. Curious to see how this new set performs with the Miyazaki shafts! Have tried the Tour Edge ironwoods many times but honestly could not get along with them as well!! Haven’t tested the Cobras yet either but if you need a tester to compare I’m available! Thanks JB!

We have a thread on hollow body, but with much of that swinging towards the smaller heads, I thought a dedicated thread for hybrid irons could be fun. For a number of years there were only 1-2 choices at the premium level, but now we have a number of choices.

Cleveland, perhaps the modern innovator in the space with the Launcher HB Turbo. Cobra bringing T-Rail to the market.
There are others, including one that is not out yet, that we have in the hands of a number of THP Forum Members so they can drop their review when they hit market.

What are your thoughts on hybrid irons and do you have a favorite from the list?

Great post Payton....I just got a set of the original HP launcher irons as well and they are en route....I have played several of the prior versions that Cleveland put out… And I’m curious to see how these stack up… Really excited about the Miyazaki shafts as I’m a big fan of those and have one in my Cleveland mashie!

I haven't hit my own hybrid irons yet. They are in transit now and given the weather in the Great White North it'll be a loooooong while until I do. I bought the previous generation of the HBs. I'm probably not your typical customer. I'm 50, in good shape and with moderate swing speed. I simply want to reach a goal which is a single-digit handicap. My goal is more important than what the irons look like or if I get hassled by playing partners. I'm a low middle handicap player (11) and golf is probably the only thing in life where I'm actually still improving! I hope hybrid irons will continue that trend:) I'm like anyone else and lust after beautiful blade irons, but I'm into what will help me the most. One day I'll own some jewels...
As far as favourites, the T-rails definitely look great and I've always been a Cobra fan. Budget constraints had me make a somewhat responsible decision and choose last year's HB model. That said, if these irons work out half as well as I hope they will quickly find their way into my heart!

Played 18 holes with these in the bag on Sunday. As the Swing goes so do these, with the caveat that I never need my best swing, maybe 50% of my best and these tools still do the job.

Round Highlights:

Played a links style course, plenty of room to miss off the tee, not so much on approach shots and iron shots. Weather was cold and wind was up and biting.

Where these shine:

Long Irons - I have 3 memorable shots from the round with these.

1) 4i off the deck 210 out on a Par 5 trees blocking the green so no clear line of site. Took 4i over the trees (which is nuts because I don't hit the ball high, let alone a 4i) was pin high just off the green on the right side, chip up and two putt par. Was awesome to have an iron shot in from outside of 200 hundred yards, feel confident to hit it high and accurately.

2) 9i Par 3 tee shot on the following hole, a tad downwind, but nothing significant. Dropped the tee shot 6 inches from the hole and almost made my 2nd career Ace. If that's not accurate, I don't know what is.

View attachment 8915706

3) 5i 195 yard Par 3 - Off the tee nice smooth swing left me 15' for birdie. Nice Mid flight good contact. Missed the putt, but having a birdie try that I thought I had a chance at on a long Par 3 is HUGE

View attachment 8915707

PW Chip shots - @mpeterson used these for the round the day prior and he spoke about how the face wasn't hot and was great for him on the touch chips. Coming from my previous set, I went away from the 8i/PW around the green as the face was TOO HOT. I didn't have the best control.

Well the PW and 8i in this set are great, I had a bit of a learning curve going back and hitting those shots, none of the shots I hit came off too hot, and I was all over the face :LOL: having this type of shot back in the arsenal is a huge win for my golf game.

Breakdown, post weekend round.

Forgiveness:

Still one of the best features of the club, no distance loss on the toe and heel shots aren't great, but better than with other irons I've gamed.

Feel:

See above for the PW chipping feedback - not having a hot face or going too long is always a win.

Workability:

Not too much to add here from the previous feedback, course setup was pretty open and never really any need to work the ball laterally. Wind was up and I was able to keep some shots down, but these definitely want to get the ball up.

Accuracy:

I mean, see above - was hitting some great shots with the scoring irons and the long irons.

Distance:

157 yard 9i sure, distance is still there. Definitely think these were better than my CBS. I think the best way to describe the distance is controllable distance.

Cons:
N/A no issue with turf interaction this round, was confident on pretty much all shots, a few of the shots that I would want back, were uneven lies and I didn't play them properly.

Overall:

These continue to impress, I'm a bit bummed that the season is ending as getting these out in warm, in season conditions would be fun.

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo:

Far and away my favorite, I have quite a few thoughts on them in both the Ultimate Weekend of Golf Live Update Thread and the HB Launcher Turbo Thread. The performance that I've been seeing with it over the past few weeks has been outstanding, especially when the swing has been off. It checks all the boxes, in the thread we put up a topline comparison picture to the CF19 Pro 8i and there is a little more junk in the trunk in these, but as was discussed in our group it's a hybrid iron, not an oversized iron, so it's nothing scary.

If you need more height, distance don't sleep on these - I would also recommend them with the AMT Red Shafts.

Cobra TRail:

Spent a limited amount of time with these, they had the Elevate 95 R in them and with the head, these just get up in the air. I adore the Elevate profile in either the 95 or the Tour, I don't have a head weight for it, but it felt right, not too light or too heavy.

Hit these on the course a couple of times into fairways, but did not have the opportunity into greens, I think these would be a good long irons/hyrbid replacement. Sound and feel is great.

Commercially these are the best looking of the hybrid irons that I've had in my hands this year.

Longterm question for me is how does the PVD finish wear.

Embargo:

Well you're going to have to wait and see aren't you lol

Definitely fit this category, smart shaft pairing from the OEM.

Biggest difference is sound.
Would you still consider the Cleveland HB Turbos the best you've ever hit?

I totally forgot about this thread and with my new experiment I want to go in the iron/wood route with the whole set, I loved the CBX Iron Wood I tested a while back but a full set is hard to find!

Unfortunately it's too late in the season for testing, but I want to spend the off season researching and finding a set to start 2021 with.

I totally forgot about this thread and with my new experiment I want to go in the iron/wood route with the whole set, I loved the CBX Iron Wood I tested a while back but a full set is hard to find!

Unfortunately it's too late in the season for testing, but I want to spend the off season researching and finding a set to start 2021 with.

Yes, in terms of the three hybrid irons - performance went to the Clevelands - Looks T Rail and trash was wilson lol

T Rail is solid though, still have a set of those and took them out recently and reminded me how fun the hybrid irons are

Highly recommend the turbos. The new Tour Edge 521 line looks interesting too.

Highly recommend the turbos. The new Tour Edge 521 line looks interesting too.
I was considering the new E521, love the look of that houdini sole, if I can't figure out an experiment with the Turbos or the CBXs I'll go with a 521 set.

I was considering the new E521, love the look of that houdini sole, if I can't figure out an experiment with the Turbos or the CBXs I'll go with a 521 set.

After spending considerable time with the HB’s, Turbos and CBX’s I went with the T-Rails.

Then again I fight having too low spin. The Turbos are probably the lowest spinning clubs I’ve tried.

Wanted to love them as I gamed the Altitudes for about 5-6 seasons

Any thought of trying the T-Rails?

After spending considerable time with the HB’s, Turbos and CBX’s I went with the T-Rails.

Then again I fight having too low spin. The Turbos are probably the lowest spinning clubs I’ve tried.

Wanted to love them as I gamed the Altitudes for about 5-6 seasons

Any thought of trying the T-Rails?
I tested them previously and just didn't care for them, I went with the CBX's, found a great deal on a set I didn't have to change anything but the grips on!

I haven't hit my own hybrid irons yet. They are in transit now and given the weather in the Great White North it'll be a loooooong while until I do. I bought the previous generation of the HBs. I'm probably not your typical customer. I'm 50, in good shape and with moderate swing speed. I simply want to reach a goal which is a single-digit handicap. My goal is more important than what the irons look like or if I get hassled by playing partners. I'm a low middle handicap player (11) and golf is probably the only thing in life where I'm actually still improving! I hope hybrid irons will continue that trend:) I'm like anyone else and lust after beautiful blade irons, but I'm into what will help me the most. One day I'll own some jewels...
As far as favourites, the T-rails definitely look great and I've always been a Cobra fan. Budget constraints had me make a somewhat responsible decision and choose last year's HB model. That said, if these irons work out half as well as I hope they will quickly find their way into my heart!
I have been hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs for two years now. My goal after taking years off due to back issues was to break 80. Over the last 4 years I have gone from shooting over a 100 to hitting a personal best 80 yesterday. The HBs really helped change my game, I think I get more loft and off center hits are still pretty good. I expect next year to be when I reach my goal, and I expect to play the HBs for many years.

Last edited:
I have to add the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged irons from a couple years back to this thread. Their successor, the Tour B JGR HF1 appear to be more of the same and I'm still looking to try these.

The wide sole is great for sweepers, hard pan and wet or dry winter conditions. Along with the strong lofts you're going to get extended shaft lengths with the lighter shafts which may not be ideal for every golfer. The only possibly negative thing to say about these irons besides the goofy JDM numbering is they do not feel forged. Otherwise, they are easy launching, long and a lot of fun.

I have been hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs for two years now. My goal after taking years off due to back issues was to break 80. Over the last 4 years I have gone from shooting over a 100 to hitting a personal best 80 yesterday. The HBs really helped change my game, I think I get more left and off center hits are still pretty good. I expect next year to be when I reach my goal, and I expect to play the HBs for many years.

Have the HB3's for 11 years, see no reason to change.

I wonder if there will be more players in the space next year?

I have just added a steel shafted HB turbo 6i to the bag to try as a test. I pulled my 5i to make room. After what I have seen I think I will be adding a HB 5i and 7i to my bag. I would then pull my 22* hybrid, and my 6i. The HB Turbos are one club longer than my Srixon 545's so I will have a 7i in the HB turbos and 7i in the 545's.

The tested 6i HB turbo is silly straight and high launching when needed and I am able to flight it down when needed. How can I not give it a go.

Last edited:
Back