JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a thread on hollow body, but with much of that swinging towards the smaller heads, I thought a dedicated thread for hybrid irons could be fun. For a number of years there were only 1-2 choices at the premium level, but now we have a number of choices.

Cleveland, perhaps the modern innovator in the space with the Launcher HB Turbo. Cobra bringing T-Rail to the market.
There are others, including one that is not out yet, that we have in the hands of a number of THP Forum Members so they can drop their review when they hit market.

What are your thoughts on hybrid irons and do you have a favorite from the list?

I recently switched from Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons to the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. I'm 75 and the swing speed has slowed considerably. Playing the Turbo iroos now, I love the feel, launch height and nice results. For older players I highly recommend the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons.

I went kicking and screaming as I never thought I could get away from my long irons. My first real try at them was with a set of the Adams v3 I got cheap on a store closeout. I liked them, didn't love them. Early this spring while perusing on FB market, I picked up a set of like new ws d100 es irons/hybrids. And man do they flat out work for me. Best $50 I ever spent. I definitely will be watching for new releases.

• Admin
I think @OITW will have some feedback here on all of the current releases as well as a future one when allowed too.

I have the prior version Cleveland Launcher HB's, and I'm very happy with them. I love how forgiving they are and how easily you can get good ball flight.

I think it's great that a few manufacturers have identified an opportunity for these types of clubs, and applaud cobra for the t rail release. I do want to demo the t rails, and they would be at the top of my list right now for sure. I'm also excited to hear more on the "other" coming release @JB mentioned in the first post. The more releases by top oems will only help make this a true established club category, plus it provides more choices. God knows us crazy golfers need more choices!

I am really liking my TE CBX Iron-Woods. Super forgiving. Looks good. Doesn't look like a hybrid at address. Got a steal with them on closeout!

I haven't hit my own hybrid irons yet. They are in transit now and given the weather in the Great White North it'll be a loooooong while until I do. I bought the previous generation of the HBs. I'm probably not your typical customer. I'm 50, in good shape and with moderate swing speed. I simply want to reach a goal which is a single-digit handicap. My goal is more important than what the irons look like or if I get hassled by playing partners. I'm a low middle handicap player (11) and golf is probably the only thing in life where I'm actually still improving! I hope hybrid irons will continue that trend:) I'm like anyone else and lust after beautiful blade irons, but I'm into what will help me the most. One day I'll own some jewels...
As far as favourites, the T-rails definitely look great and I've always been a Cobra fan. Budget constraints had me make a somewhat responsible decision and choose last year's HB model. That said, if these irons work out half as well as I hope they will quickly find their way into my heart!

@JB
I know you can’t tell us the oem that is releasing the new iron but any chance you can divulge the release date ?

I currently use the Srixon ZU85 # Hybrid. I love the club. It is useful off the tee for tight holes and also for holes where a driver or 3wood is too much. I will also use it out of the rough and off the fairway for long approach shots, 205+ yards. The club has a to of power to it and the ball jumps off of it. The flight is a lower than ideal for approach shots but I do get a lot of roll out of it. It helps that at my home course I have 2 par 5's, one of which is a very narrow driving hole where placement is more important than distance, the other Par 5 I can run this club up onto the green from 205/210+ out. We also have a long Par 3 which always plays into the wind, from the middle tees its about 180 and from the back tees its about 205, for both of these tees I can usually use the hybrid iron to get there or just in front if I am playing the back tees.

Forgot to mention that I appreciate this thread. Lately, I've spent a lot of time bouncing between the threads for the different individual models. Having one place to share thoughts and results regardless of the model played should be nice!

I’ve had a chance to hit both the HB Turbos and another set recently. It wasn’t a ton of swings, but I’m pretty much convinced that you can do anything that you want with a set of this style iron that you can do with other iron sets. And the sound is SO much more solid than previous iterations. They feel and play like irons.

I think there’s one huge advantage to these that you don’t get with a traditional SGI iron - if you’re not a fan of looking at a bunch of offset, these will give you launch without having to add much. As @JB said in the podcast w. @golfunfiltered, there’s probably less offset in the HB Turbos than some players irons. You have to accept some junk in the trunk with that, but I honestly don’t think the most recent sets in the style have come a long way, looks-wise.

Still rockin' 10 yr old HB3's. No real reasons to change. Anyone who plays these I am sure would agree.

Still rockin' 10 yr old HB3's. No real reasons to change. Anyone who plays these I am sure would agree.

I played them and think there are a number of reasons to change, but that is just me. HB3 were a fine iron when they hit in 2011, but personally the newer versions sound/feel far superior. I also believe through internal structure they have been able to get a bit more consistency out of the modern Turbos, if staying with in brand. Moving out of brand, you have a number of different options such as rails for maintaining speed, etc.

Glad you found a set you enjoy though, at the end of the day, that is the most important thing.

I can't imagine there is anything better than the TE HL3 and HL4 ironwoods for me.

I can't imagine there is anything better than the TE HL3 and HL4 ironwoods for me.

Curious have you tried others and these were the best or you just liked them?

Curious have you tried others and these were the best or you just liked them?

I haven't tried any others. I was not getting anywhere with my hybrids so I tried the HL3 and they just WORKED very well. Plus they were the right price. Everyone else started coming out with their versions since then, except Cleveland, which may have been first.

I haven't tried any others. I was not getting anywhere with my hybrids so I tried the HL3 and they just WORKED very well. Plus they were the right price. Everyone else started coming out with their versions since then, except Cleveland, which may have been first.

Its awesome finding something that Clicks. I’m a fan of that price point and the guarantee they offer for sure.

Its awesome finding something that Clicks. I’m a fan of that price point and the guarantee they offer for sure.

AND they have a 15% discount for military members and veterans!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I played them and think there are a number of reasons to change, but that is just me. HB3 were a fine iron when they hit in 2011, but personally the newer versions sound/feel far superior. I also believe through internal structure they have been able to get a bit more consistency out of the modern Turbos, if staying with in brand. Moving out of brand, you have a number of different options such as rails for maintaining speed, etc.

Glad you found a set you enjoy though, at the end of the day, that is the most important thing.

2011, thx for the reminder, I started with the XLI in 2009. Those were a bit clunky. I have demo'd the Turbos and they do feel nice. When I go to a Sr shaft in a year or two, that maybe the reason to go Turbo.

AND they have a 15% discount for military members and veterans!

Thats nice too.
Dont forget you can always get 15% on just about anything through Budget Golf as well. @Ryan_BudgetGolf is there to help.

Thats nice too.
Dont forget you can always get 15% on just about anything through Budget Golf as well. @Ryan_BudgetGolf is there to help.

True, but can you custom order with lie and loft changes from them too? TE will do it if you buy direct.

True, but can you custom order with lie and loft changes from them too? TE will do it if you buy direct.

Yes you can

I think @OITW will have some feedback here on all of the current releases as well as a future one when allowed too.

I look forward to what OITW has to say about these irons.

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo:

Far and away my favorite, I have quite a few thoughts on them in both the Ultimate Weekend of Golf Live Update Thread and the HB Launcher Turbo Thread. The performance that I've been seeing with it over the past few weeks has been outstanding, especially when the swing has been off. It checks all the boxes, in the thread we put up a topline comparison picture to the CF19 Pro 8i and there is a little more junk in the trunk in these, but as was discussed in our group it's a hybrid iron, not an oversized iron, so it's nothing scary.

If you need more height, distance don't sleep on these - I would also recommend them with the AMT Red Shafts.

Cobra TRail:

Spent a limited amount of time with these, they had the Elevate 95 R in them and with the head, these just get up in the air. I adore the Elevate profile in either the 95 or the Tour, I don't have a head weight for it, but it felt right, not too light or too heavy.

Hit these on the course a couple of times into fairways, but did not have the opportunity into greens, I think these would be a good long irons/hyrbid replacement. Sound and feel is great.

Commercially these are the best looking of the hybrid irons that I've had in my hands this year.

Longterm question for me is how does the PVD finish wear.

Embargo:

Well you're going to have to wait and see aren't you lol

Definitely fit this category, smart shaft pairing from the OEM.

Biggest difference is sound.

Back