Hybrid Question: What degree loft?

Comparing anything we amateurs do, REGARDLESS of distance, to a Tour Pro and what they play and why is just a really out there talking point IMO.

Why do you write "regardless of distance"? I've played with Tour players, caddied for Tour players, routinely play with and caddie for pros and amateurs who have Tour player distance. If someone can produce Tour player distance shots, such as yourself who carries 5-iron 208 and 4-hybrid 220, shouldn't the specs of your clubs and, or, the composition of your bag be similar to a Tour pro ?

Looking to replace my Callaway Mavrik 5 iron (21* loft) with a Ping g425 hybrid. I need to know which loft in the Ping hybrid to choose. Will it be the 5 hybrid (26*)?

Thanks!
(y)

the easiest answer is what is the yardage gap between your 6i and the club after your hybrid. I would get away from loft numbers and look at yardage gapping to help maximize that spot in your bag.

Why do you write "regardless of distance"? I've played with Tour players, caddied for Tour players, routinely play with and caddie for pros and amateurs who have Tour player distance. If someone can produce Tour player distance shots, such as yourself who carries 5-iron 208 and 4-hybrid 220, shouldn't the specs of your clubs and, or, the composition of your bag be similar to a Tour pro ?
No, because amateurs have no where near the consistency as Tour pro's, which since you've been up close I have no doubt you realize. Comparing an amateur to a Tour pro makes no sense. They can play demanding clubs because they are consistent, we need forgiveness, it matters in order to help make up for the inconsistencies. Its just fact.

No, because amateurs have no where near the consistency as Tour pro's, which since you've been up close I have no doubt you realize. Comparing an amateur to a Tour pro makes no sense. They can play demanding clubs because they are consistent, we need forgiveness, it matters in order to help make up for the inconsistencies. Its just fact.

Maybe your point is that some amateurs are capable of a 210 yard 5-iron carry but they are not consistent enough to do it every time? In that case I think the player's "average carry distance" should be used. For example, the amateur who nuts a 5-iron 210 yards two out of ten times but the other 8 shots have a carry distance range of 160 to 185 has an average 5-iron carry distance of about 180, not 210.
If the amateur has a true and honest average 5-iron carry distance of 210 yards then I expect his/her club specs will be similar to that of a Tour pro, such as extra stiff shafts, tipped graphite etc...

Maybe your point is that some amateurs are capable of a 210 yard 5-iron carry but they are not consistent enough to do it every time? In that case I think the player's "average carry distance" should be used. For example, the amateur who nuts a 5-iron 210 yards two out of ten times but the other 8 shots have a carry distance range of 160 to 185 has an average 5-iron carry distance of about 180, not 210.
If the amateur has a true and honest average 5-iron carry distance of 210 yards then I expect his/her club specs will be similar to that of a Tour pro, such as extra stiff shafts, tipped graphite etc...
No, my point is what it is, they lack consistency in impact, I'm not talking distance. I know many golfers who hit it a long way, but as amateurs they still lack consistency and have real world misses, something Tour Pro's rarely have in comparison to mere mortals. Because of that, a club like a hybrid offers more forgiveness to help with those inconsistencies, add in they are also easier to launch than long irons, its a reality that its a better club for most. Hybrids are NOT AT ALL just for slower swingers, that is an archaic thought to be totally honest.

As for the distance thing, you are focusing far too much on that, speed doesn't determine flex alone, there is FAR more than that involved like how they load/unload, tempo, face delivery at impact, and the list goes on. Because I hit a 210 yard 5i doesn't mean I fit in to X-flex tipped, in my many fittings that has actually never happened, because there is no hard and fast rule as it pertains to distance a person hits the ball equating to needing Tour spec club builds.

Hi, differing opinion here. Hahaha

The thing to remember with hybrids is loft to loft with an iron they’re typically lower spinning, hotter, and longer. It’s why trying them if possible to see where the gap is, is a big deal. For me when I played and reviewed the 410’s it needed to be 3 degrees to hit the gap, obviously your mileage will vary, but too often imo people just get the same loft or one off of it and expect it to gap the same, and most times they just don’t.

Good call out here.

I play a 27* 6 iron that is 37.75" long with 100g shaft - It's my 150 club off the deck and 155 if I can teed it up high
I play a 26* hybrid that is -1" or 38 3/8" with a 62g shaft and it's my 167 yd carry club
Recently been messing around with essentially the same 26* hybrid I mentioned above but at full length of 39 3/8' and it's been showing on the course and monitor that it can go about 175-180 if I catch it cleanly.
Would be weird to game 3 clubs with essentially a similar loft :). But hey if they gap they gap....

Previous 3i: 22* loft with DG S300 shaft @ stnd length: 215 yards
Current 4i: 24* loft with DG S400 shaft 1/4” short: 220 yards
Hybrid: 22* loft with 90g X graphite shaft @ stnd length: 235 yards

Shaft weight, length, and flex all factor in to carry distance at the long end of the bag. It’s really hard/impossible to predict gapping unless some variables are controlled or you are able to hit the clubs side by side.

It’s not always straight across. I jumped from 5i to 4hy but there is such a big gap that I now need another club. Hybrids are easier to hit and in my case the same loft goes further.

Back