Hybrid vs fairway wood.

I use both. From the deck it's mainly hybrids. 3 (20°) and 5 (26°). I also have a 16.5° 4 wood that I use 99% of the time from the tee. Unfortunately, it doesn't go all that much further than my 20° hybrid so it's the spot I've been pretty interested in changing for a couple of years now.

19 and 22 degrees hybrids in my bag right now. 4w was recently pulled to make room for the 19 degree hybrid. On a range, I can hit both. Just seems on the course the 3h gives me a little less dispersion. Not as long but acceptable and more on my line

I prefer a FW over a hybrid. IMO, they are more forgiving because of the higher MOI of the head, they launch the ball better because of how far back the weight is and they hit the ball farther because the shaft is longer.
Ive tried various hybrids over the years and never really got on with any of them. My Tommy Armour Atomic 5-wood on the other hand, is friendly and easy to hit, while still being a cannon.

Several years ago I had to dump my 3W & 5W as I started getting too steep and couldn't get them doing anything but go left, hard left most of the time. Had a 3i Cleveland HiBore hybrid in the bag for years that goes like a rocket (265yd in Colorado) so now I need to figure out the gap between driver & that one.

I play two fairway woods a 3 and 5. No Hy rids. I hit my fairway woods higher and a lot straighter. For some reason the 5 wood has always been golden for me. I can hit that club off the tee, from the fairway, the rough, just about from anywhere. And I hit it dead straight and high. Love that club.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Driver, 3W and 5W for me, no hybrids, then drop down to 4 iron.

I assume this is more about the 3 hybrid/5w spot? I have used and enjoyed both. I probably should be using a hybrid though because I am very confident with them and hit them very well, but something about a well struck FW that I can't get away from at the moment haha. If I was buying new though, I would go Driver-3w-hybrid. Something about that progression I really enjoy.

I have 13.5 and 18 degree fairways, and also a 31 degree 4H. Fairways give me the gaps I need and the 4H replaces a 4/5 iron spot for me.

I've played a 3 wood forever and it's a club that I have a ton of confidence in that I don't think I can ever swap out. I've played around with different hybrids and a 5 wood in the next spot and while I loved my Flash 5 wood last year it was a gapping nightmare. I actually ended up going back to my old original Apex 3 hybrid simply because it's consistent and hits the yardage gap perfectly. In the 4 iron spot I have a utility type club right now and enjoy the heck out of it.

Rogue Hybrids in 17* 19* 21*

Just much easier to launch and hit than fairway woods for me. The club shaft is shorter than a FW and the face is thicker, easy decision.

3 wood--15 degree- 225 yards carry of deck, 235 yards carry off tee
5 wood-18 degree--More height, more distance, softer landing to hold greens vs 18 degree hybrid-215 yards carry
3 hybrid- 20.5 degrees--easier to hit more consistently than 4 iron--205 yards carry
5 iron-23 degrees--easier to knock down into wind and hit low under trees vs hybrid. Can also hit it high when needed. 195 yards carry

I've got a 3w and 7w. I couldn't find a 5w. I've never hit a hybrid.

3 Wood - 14*, 5 wood - 18* and a Hybrid 22*, the Hybrid fills the void of my old 7wood and fits the bill perfectly!

15 degree 3w, 5w lofted up to 20 so it's basically a heavenwood, and then a 25 degree hybrid that fills the 4i gap. Fairway woods work well for me, I can hit them high and stop them.

I don't hit 4i for crap, and the hybrid fits the gap between 5i and 20 degree fairway, and I hit it well.

I finally settled on a Mizuno 2020 CLK 2H. I play it at -1 degree and +1 upright. Ball flight doesn't start to the right as much for me to have to try to turn it over.

Long irons / utility irons?

I've long avoided hybrids, rolling with just a fairway wood. but definitely lacked some versatility without something between. likely going with a 20* hybrid along with a 16 or 17* 3 wood this year.

No objection to modern hybrids. They've worked well for lots of players.

I, however, go... driver, driving iron, 4-wood, and lofted utility wood.
It's worked for me since the utility wood was a Stan Thompson Ginty and the driving iron was a Wilson 1200GE 1-iron.
If you're familiar with those clubs, by the way, you're probably over sixty.

I tend to swap in and out my Ping G410 3W, but consistently I have a Ping G410 2H, 3H, 4H in the bag. I have a lot more confidence in and strike better, the hybrids than fairway woods

I carry driver, 3W and 21* utility...but I didn't even carry the 3W before I broke my 18* UT that had been bent to 15 or 16.

Back