Hybrids - What do you look for?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Hybrids are slowly evolving into two categories it seems. Those that are more wood like and those that are more iron like. When we interviewed John Hoeflich for the Spring Issue of the magazine he spoke about this in detail and talked about what a players needs are.

We have seen drivers evolve in shapes and offer squares, triangles, odd shapes, and traditional. We are slowly seeing this take shape in hybrids with different colors, shapes, etc...

So what do you look for in a hybrid? What shape do you like and why? Are you looking for replacement of woods or irons?

I tried to hit a hybrid once, it didn't work out so well.

low profile with a traditional look. primarily look to replace lower irons (3,4)

i always preferred mine to replace an iron and i loved that classic hybrid shape (think nickent: i had a 3dx for a long, long time) but then when i hit the nike sq2, which i thought i would hate, due to its unconventional shape, it was pure bliss. something about the square head, and flatter sole, really gave me much more confidence hitting hybrid off the turf. when the machspeed came out, it went into the bag.

i've been demo'ing and wanting to replace the machspeed but there's just nothing that outperforms it for me. hope to find some more stuff at the outing.

I like the look of the A7 and DST... I'm trying to find a 4 hybrid that will fill the gap well between my 3 hybrid and 5 iron. I currently game a wilson fybrid 4h. I hit it fairly consistent, however i get more distance from my 4i. Can't wait to try some out at the outing NEXT WEEK

I look for:
Iron trajectory, but I don't care for an iron look (think Ping G15 hybrid).
Great performance from the rough.
More forgiveness than the iron equivalent.

When I look for an hybrid Im looking for a small head and a face that looks like a rectangle with a flatter the better sole.

689519.jpg

If I miss hit a hybrid its because I lifted a bit (probably tried to swing too hard) and come over the top but with a Flatter sole I still can get enough club evenly behind it to get an Okay and straight shot. I just bought a :nickent: Ironwood for that reason exactly. 4dx 4+ Ironwood to be exact. What im looking to replace is my 3-4 irons.

I looked for a replacement for my 3 & 4 iron and something that was more forgiving.

I look for a club that is easy to hit, able to use on fairway and out of rough, and looks nice. Currently I am replacing my woods with hybrids. I have gone back to my Nickent 3dx RC and have ben very happy. At the outing I will be looking for a hybrid replacement closer to a 3w (17*-19* ). I like the looks and feel of the ping G15 but only hit that into a net a couple of times.

Hybrids are sort of a new concept for me in general. I picked up three TM Rescue's last year and have never thought about anything different. I guess thats what I was looking for.

Of course I want good mileage, that's a given. I also like a little pep when I hit the electric, and a sporty, sexy look is also a plus. While it feels good to do what's right for the planet, I want to feel and look good while I'm doing it.

Kevin

Of course I want good mileage, that's a given. I also like a little pep when I hit the electric, and a sporty, sexy look is also a plus. While it feels good to do what's right for the planet, I want to feel and look good while I'm doing it.

Kevin

lmao! don't know how you do it, but you crack me up on a daily basis.

I prefer hybrids that are more "woodlike" than "ironlike".

But the most important thing is that they don't have any (or at least not a pronounced) offset and that the face angle is neutral or even slightly open so that they aren't "hook machines". I've tried several hybrids and most seem to be built with very closed face angles and tend to heavily favor a draw.

My Nike CPR is relatively neutral-faced and doesn't set up as if it were pointing thirty yards left of where I'm aiming. I don't know what it's actual specs are but I feel confident with it as opposed to other hybrids I've used and the way it looks to me at address may be more psychological than anything else, but it works and that's what counts.

-JP

I prefer hybrids that are more "woodlike" than "ironlike".

But the most important thing is that they don't have any (or at least not a pronounced) offset and that the face angle is neutral or even slightly open so that they aren't "hook machines". I've tried several hybrids and most seem to be built with very closed face angles and tend to heavily favor a draw.

My Nike CPR is relatively neutral-faced and doesn't set up as if it were pointing thirty yards left of where I'm aiming. I don't know what it's actual specs are but I feel confident with it as opposed to other hybrids I've used and the way it looks to me at address may be more psychological than anything else, but it works and that's what counts.

-JP

you need to check out the adams super black. it would be right up your alley based off your post.

I like to swing my hybrid like an iron but get a little more distance. I actually put my 4 iron back in the bag and took out the 22* hybrid because I could play play more shots with the iron.

Pretty simple. A hybrid is going to replace a long iron so I want it to be easier to hit and go just as far if not farther.

I want the consistency (distance and trajectory) that I get from my 6i in a 20* club. It should have a flat, squarish face, limited offset, and play equally well from rough, fairway and off the tee on very short par-4s. I've tried a bunch and the a7s have been the most consistent and iron-like for me to date. Part of that is not going with a superlight configuration. I want to hit 195 +- 5 yards every time with my smooth 3/4 swing. Not 180 then 205, etc. that I've found with the lightweight, hot face versions.

I'm looking to replace a 5w with my hybrid really. I can hit a 3i ok, but favour a low trajectory. I'm looking for about the same distance, but high flight, with my hybrid. If I can get that, the 3i can go in favour of something else.

I used to be drawn towards a more traditional wood shaped head, but as I've tried more and more versions, I'm getting less concerned with the aesthetics and more concerned with how it feels. It can't be too light, as it would encourage me to swing too hard.

I'm looking for a club that will get the ball in the air easily and land soft. I want to be able to use it from almost any lie on the course. I prefer a "wood" shaped head with a low profile. Finally, I have replaced both irons and a 5W with my hybrids.

I'm looking for something that hits the ball pretty high and something that wants to go straight. I also like a little smaller profile. The PNT2 fits that perfectly. I think it's the best hybrid out there if you can find it.

I look to replace the gap in yardage with my 3-4 irons. Although I usually keep my 4i in the bag because yardage isnt that consistant. I also use them a lot to get out of trouble and the rough.

I like the shape my Nickent has. I like it to stay more iron'ish though, if that makes sense. The G15's and Super Black Pro are perfect in my eyes.

My main concerns with hybrids are, trajectory, square face angle, looks close to a mini FW wood.

I've got two hyrbids and they're very different. One is the TM Rescue high launch at 22* and the other is the adams idea pro 18*. While only 4* difference in loft it is amazing how different these two play. The 22*TM has a flatter more shallow club head, which people say with the further back Center of Gravity, makes it a good trouble club. I hit a very high very soft shot that carries roughly 220 and stops very quickly .
The 18* Adams I use like a driving iron on shorter par 4s. Its more "iron-blade like" and I can't seem to put any spin on the ball. Therefore I hit a shot off the tee that carries roughly 240 with very little spin and a nice boring trajectory (probably due to the low spin). This trajectory/spin works great out here in Nevada where in the summer time it gets windy and the fairways' get very hard and allow a lot of roll.
In fact the Adams Idea has almost completly replaced my 3w which I tend to balloon off the tee even though my 3w is 15*. I keep the 3w in my bag only cuz I can hit it off the deck far better/higher/ softer than the adams even though its 3* less loft.

you need to check out the adams super black. it would be right up your alley based off your post.

Is this what you're talking about?

I like this club (from what I've seen online) and it would merit a trip to the golf store to see it in person. The adjustable weight (it IS adjustable, right?) would also be something I'd like because I'm always messing around with swingweights and such.

TL8940_im_____0_gsi

This here is what I'm using now and I guess it actually looks more "hybrid-like" than "wood-like" but it plays well.

1002084.jpg

I also came across the ADAMS Pro Black Hybrid which I guess is similar to my Nike but it looks a bit too "boxy" for my taste.

I'd like to try out that Super Black though!

Thanks, TC!

-JP

Back