Hybrids - What do you look for?

Very little offset and cost. Every year at our one local demo day I try and hit all the hybrids. If you put them all side by side I can't tell much of a difference. Sure some go higher, and maybe some travel a little further than others, but I'm not looking for much out of the club. If I pick one out I'll just work with it a bit to find the limitations and go from there.

I carry one hybrid to cover a distance of 200-220. Sometimes more, sometimes less, it just depends on the conditions. At that distance, I don't expect much out of the shot anyway. Most rounds I probably only hit it once or twice so it really isn't that important of a club to me.

I look for a shallow face and small head when I am looking for hybrids. I also like to look for a more rounded sole. The A7's are right on the boarder line to what I like. I don't like them much bigger than that. The Nike Machspeed is also a nice looking hybrid in my eyes. But I don't think I have found one I like more than my J36. As for what I look for, something I can hit in different lies as well as get me in that 210 yard range.

I got three callaway hybrids to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 5 iron. 18*, 21* and 24* So far so good

with the new mashie being such a rave I thought I would bring this back up. I personally just want something that I like looking at while addressing the ball. Then, I need a good outcome.

something that I can hit consistently. I have 2 different ones that perform very different for me. My adams hits mid/low shot while my Fybrid hits a higher shot that lands relatively soft.

I want two different hybrids really. The first is to replace my 3 iron and is simply for distance in places my 3 wood isn't practical for range or lie reasons. Effectively it functions more like a 5 wood that's easier to hit and can be used on slightly downward slopes where a 5 wood wouldn't pick up the ball. The second hydrib is a pure rescue club, something to get me out of the rough and back to the green/fairway with a nice, high, floating flight.

Current a Mach Speed fills the first requirement and a TM Rescue fits the latter. Mach speed definately needs a new shaft though, it's wicked bendy and spins the ball waaaay to much.

I tend to do ok with Irons on the short grass. Its when I get off the beaten path a little bit that the hybrid comes out. And for me the hybrid is out alot. TM Raylor works great here with a good range of 190 to 210 with a 19 degree loft.

My 22* Tm hybrid is defintiyl more wood like and the furher back Center of gravity really helps. I can get the ball up really quick and it stops very well. Far better then my long iron.
I used to have a adams idea 18* hybrd that was more iron like. IT was like having a 1 iron or a driving iron. It was great. But I could only use it off the tee. I hit a far more lower more boring shot compared to myy 3 wood even though the 3 had 3 degrees less loft.

I've tried to be very open minded about hybrids but have never been able to hit them at all. I've only tried the ones that were wood like... which seems odd because I was always told to put an "iron" swing on it... so...

I am going to give it one more try. I am going to try one that is more iron like, maybe the G15...

I use hybrids to replace irons, I like the forgivness of hybrids rather than long irons.

Had never touched a hybrid club in my life until I bought a set of Diablo Edge irons and it came with the 3 and 4 hybrids. Took me a few weeks to get used to hitting down with them like a long iron shot. Now that I have learned to do that, they are 2 of the more consistent clubs in my bag as far as distance and accuracy.

I suck with fairway woods so one that is more iron like works for me. I just recently hit the Ping G15 and the 22 deg I think it was, was really straight for me.

looking to add a hybrid to my bag to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood. Prefer more iron like for this use. Leaning towards the #4 TM tp rescue but want to check out the mashie first

I look for something I can hit consistantly and that falls in the 175-185 range.Being an old dude who can't golf all I can count on my 4 iron for is about 170 yds tops.I can count on my 5 wood for the 190-200.So looking to fill that gap.Depending on the maker it has been 19,20,21 degree versions that seem to work for me

Looking more at shafts than the head right now. I've been particularly picky with shafts on the driver side, but only recently am I carrying that over to the 3-wood and hybrids. I mean premium shafts and options have become the norm for drivers these days, but it's been slow trickling that down to the hybrids.

Prior hybrid was way too whippy because of the shaft, current hybrid is a tad too stiff; works great when I go at it, but I want something I can let up on a little bit. Essentially with the shaft costing a majority of the price of the club, it just seems a better bang for my buck buying a new one. I'm going to be in heaven playing with the Mashie combos I think.

I know the G15 hybrid looks gross to most people - but I hit it a ton and it replaced my 3 iron. I get better control and better trajectory with it than I ever got with any iron

it's been interesting going back and reading through this, especially now that i took the hybrid out of the bag. kinda weird really.

it's been interesting going back and reading through this, especially now that i took the hybrid out of the bag. kinda weird really.

That Burner2.0 3-iron working out great for you eh?

It's definitely me and a large part the lack of practice time with the longer clubs. But with the irons I've always felt very good with the direction; I could shape the ball left and right in a manner that's comfortable to me. However, on misshits, the 3i and 2i will drop pretty well short.

With a hybrid, I feel like I've lost that control in shaping (heck, I can only draw my hybrids) but the misshits don't affect the carry anywhere near as much. Of course, I think that makes a lot of sense due to all the forgiveness that's built in.

Maybe I should try out a SGI 3-iron sometime hahaha. I have tried "iron-like" hybrids but they've looked clunky and just didn't really work. God golf is an awful game to figure out hahaha.

That Burner2.0 3-iron working out great for you eh?

It's definitely me and a large part the lack of practice time with the longer clubs. But with the irons I've always felt very good with the direction; I could shape the ball left and right in a manner that's comfortable to me. However, on misshits, the 3i and 2i will drop pretty well short.

With a hybrid, I feel like I've lost that control in shaping (heck, I can only draw my hybrids) but the misshits don't affect the carry anywhere near as much. Of course, I think that makes a lot of sense due to all the forgiveness that's built in.

Maybe I should try out a SGI 3-iron sometime hahaha. I have tried "iron-like" hybrids but they've looked clunky and just didn't really work. God golf is an awful game to figure out hahaha.

yeah, it really has worked out wonderfully. i know i can't get it as high as a hybrid but i just don't really need that for my game. now that i lay up to numbers the chances that i need to hit something 215-225, that needs to get up, is slim to none. i find that the 2.0 3iron is just far superior when it comes to accuracy and it's pretty darn forgiving too!

That's good to hear. I'll have to request some 3-irons to try at the massive demo day we have here in SJ next May.

Keeping to topic though, I'm on like my 3rd hybrid in 4 years. My current one has been the first I feel some semblance of confidence, but I still feel that's mostly the shaft and not the head.

Looking forward to next year...maybe that'll make 4 hybrids in 5 years. (It's very very likely haha)

Back