HYDRATION ON THE COURSE

golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
Last summer I got myself in a very dangerous on course situation. It was a 95 degree day with 90 percent humidity. I didn't drink any water before playing and I was walking. By the 7th hole I literally almost passed out. Blurred vision, stiff neck, bad. A playing partner gave me a vitamin C packet which I mixed with some water and I gradually felt better. The rest of the season I added a pedialyte type product to water and it seemed to help. somewhat. Does anyone have any suggestions on a product I could add to water or any drink , to keep me hydrated and prevent me from dropping dead playing the game I love? LOL

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
Generally I have Nuun in my bag to add to water. Seems to do the trick

Scott F

Starting Over
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Contrary to what the companies who produce sports drinks tell us, all you really need is water. Unless your activities are extreme, you don’t need any additives.

Reframmellator

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I use Nuun also. I try to drink a minimum of a gallon of water daily. On the course, I put a Nuun tablet in a 500 ml bottle for the turn. I will usually drink 1-1.5 liters during a round, unless it's a 90/90 type day.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
64oz yeti and a few more

always need to hydrate

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Water is it for me. Tired the Nunn tablets and didn't care for the taste. I will drink gatorade zero and mix it down a bit to 50/50.
Once it hits 90 degrees, I usually won't walk anymore.

Bcape9

#TeamEvolve
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I always bring a large tumbler filled with ice water when I play.

Jank

FIGJAM
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
FIRs
I keep a little cooler under my pushcart and I always overpack waters in there. There's nothing worse than running out of water on the course, especially now that so many courses have the water coolers removed.

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I always pick up a couple of powerades or gatorades in the pro shop or on the way to the course. I'd throw one away when it was empty and refill the second before the coolers disappeared. I can't stand the taste of water, it's got to have flavor in it for me... beer, diet pepsi, diet coke... but on a day like was described, powerade or gatorade.

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Hydration is key. And hydration starts long before you begin playing. It should start a day or days before. For playing, water should be sufficient. Don't wait until your thirsty to drink

GoldenBuff

Energetic funhog, happy nerd
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6-8
The high elevation sun here will suck you dry. Hydrate or pay a price. I bring lots of water and often add in electrolytes with something like Nuun.

Ludin

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Generally I have Nuun in my bag to add to water. Seems to do the trick
I do this as well. I have struggled in the past, but this has really been a game changer.

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
I usually take a bottle of water with me to the course and then if I need more I will buy a sports drink at the turn.

Muchmore18

Truly Thankful Member of the 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hmmm reading this thread and hearing about Nuun, I had to look it up. Sounds pretty great, may have to pick some up!

xThor

Grandaddy 2021 Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I generally drink lots of water, so on golf days it is usually several bottles or cups of water, sometimes a gatorade.

I did start in 2020 bringing some applesauce packets/pouches to down every 3 to 6 holes. I feel like that helped immensely for me to stay hydrated, and maintain energy.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.7
During the hot months, I take a 64 ounce insulated bottle of ice water mixed with flavored electrolyte powder. I drink a lot of water daily so I already have a good hydration base, but I'll easily drink that whole 64 ounces and sometimes refill it before the round is done.

During the summer months, our rounds start off at 90+ degrees (even at the crack of dawn) and are 100-110 degrees by the time we finish. Hydration isn't a matter of comfort, it's an essential thing.

chile

Jive Turkey
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Chocolate
i make sure i drink plenty of water even before i hit the course...then bring a couple of large bottles of water and a gatorade for on course hydration...may add a beer or 5 (depending on my company)

mski

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9 USGA
I found a product called Drip Drop. It's a powder you add to either 8oz or 16 oz of water. The stuff is great. I drink a bottle of Drip Drop added to water before golf, few beers during golf, then a bottle of Drip Drop added to water after if it's a really hot day.

golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks for all the replies. After some research, I think I'll try Ultima Replenisher .Its got no sugar or calories and seems to have more of the important active ingredients than other products.

ranger1989

Rangers Lead the Way!
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5

Chef23

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been using Nuun for a while. I drink 16 oz of water when I get up then drink a 16oz with Nuun on the way to the course. I try to drink at least 32oz on each 9 then another bottle when I am done.

I had some health issues a while ago and I cramp easily as a result. I walk and carry my bag and if I follow the hydration above I stay in a good place usually.

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
I play in triple digit heat quite often. Usually low humidity 5%-7%. "Its a dry heat" they say.

Hydration is a big deal. When I know I'm going to be out in the heat, I start hydrating the day before. In addition to fluids, I make sure I eat plenty of veggies, and fruit.

I will carry water, mixed nuts, and fruit on the golf course. Much like I do when out fishing, or hiking in the desert heat. I'm snacking and drinking all the time.

Although it helps, I don't believe a person can adequately hydrate themselves drinking fluids just before playing out doors. This is why I start the day before.

Fact of the matter is, that I live/play in the Mojave Desert, I'm constantly drinking fluids on a daily basis, all year around.

If I do dehydrate by accident, it doesn't usually show up on me until I lay down at night for bed time. I get gawd awful leg cramps.

Most of my fluid in take is bottled water, or something with little, or no sugar in it. I will sometimes mix a little concentrated lemon, or lime juice in the bottled water.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in