HYDRATION ON THE COURSE

golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
Last summer I got myself in a very dangerous on course situation. It was a 95 degree day with 90 percent humidity. I didn't drink any water before playing and I was walking. By the 7th hole I literally almost passed out. Blurred vision, stiff neck, bad. A playing partner gave me a vitamin C packet which I mixed with some water and I gradually felt better. The rest of the season I added a pedialyte type product to water and it seemed to help. somewhat. Does anyone have any suggestions on a product I could add to water or any drink , to keep me hydrated and prevent me from dropping dead playing the game I love? LOL

Generally I have Nuun in my bag to add to water. Seems to do the trick

Contrary to what the companies who produce sports drinks tell us, all you really need is water. Unless your activities are extreme, you don’t need any additives.

Yep a few of the guys I play with use the Nuun tabs. Think they use one on each 9.

I use Nuun also. I try to drink a minimum of a gallon of water daily. On the course, I put a Nuun tablet in a 500 ml bottle for the turn. I will usually drink 1-1.5 liters during a round, unless it's a 90/90 type day.

64oz yeti and a few more

always need to hydrate

I do a nuun on 5he way to the course and refill a 24oz bottle a couple of times during the round

Water is it for me. Tired the Nunn tablets and didn't care for the taste. I will drink gatorade zero and mix it down a bit to 50/50.
Once it hits 90 degrees, I usually won't walk anymore.

I always bring a large tumbler filled with ice water when I play.

I keep a little cooler under my pushcart and I always overpack waters in there. There's nothing worse than running out of water on the course, especially now that so many courses have the water coolers removed.

I always pick up a couple of powerades or gatorades in the pro shop or on the way to the course. I'd throw one away when it was empty and refill the second before the coolers disappeared. I can't stand the taste of water, it's got to have flavor in it for me... beer, diet pepsi, diet coke... but on a day like was described, powerade or gatorade.

Hydration is key. And hydration starts long before you begin playing. It should start a day or days before. For playing, water should be sufficient. Don't wait until your thirsty to drink

I do this as well. I have struggled in the past, but this has really been a game changer.

I usually take a bottle of water with me to the course and then if I need more I will buy a sports drink at the turn.

Hmmm reading this thread and hearing about Nuun, I had to look it up. Sounds pretty great, may have to pick some up!

I generally drink lots of water, so on golf days it is usually several bottles or cups of water, sometimes a gatorade.

I did start in 2020 bringing some applesauce packets/pouches to down every 3 to 6 holes. I feel like that helped immensely for me to stay hydrated, and maintain energy.

During the hot months, I take a 64 ounce insulated bottle of ice water mixed with flavored electrolyte powder. I drink a lot of water daily so I already have a good hydration base, but I'll easily drink that whole 64 ounces and sometimes refill it before the round is done.

During the summer months, our rounds start off at 90+ degrees (even at the crack of dawn) and are 100-110 degrees by the time we finish. Hydration isn't a matter of comfort, it's an essential thing.

i make sure i drink plenty of water even before i hit the course...then bring a couple of large bottles of water and a gatorade for on course hydration...may add a beer or 5 (depending on my company)

I found a product called Drip Drop. It's a powder you add to either 8oz or 16 oz of water. The stuff is great. I drink a bottle of Drip Drop added to water before golf, few beers during golf, then a bottle of Drip Drop added to water after if it's a really hot day.

Thanks for all the replies. After some research, I think I'll try Ultima Replenisher .Its got no sugar or calories and seems to have more of the important active ingredients than other products.

I have been using Nuun for a while. I drink 16 oz of water when I get up then drink a 16oz with Nuun on the way to the course. I try to drink at least 32oz on each 9 then another bottle when I am done.

I had some health issues a while ago and I cramp easily as a result. I walk and carry my bag and if I follow the hydration above I stay in a good place usually.

I play in triple digit heat quite often. Usually low humidity 5%-7%. "Its a dry heat" they say.

Hydration is a big deal. When I know I'm going to be out in the heat, I start hydrating the day before. In addition to fluids, I make sure I eat plenty of veggies, and fruit.

I will carry water, mixed nuts, and fruit on the golf course. Much like I do when out fishing, or hiking in the desert heat. I'm snacking and drinking all the time.

Although it helps, I don't believe a person can adequately hydrate themselves drinking fluids just before playing out doors. This is why I start the day before.

Fact of the matter is, that I live/play in the Mojave Desert, I'm constantly drinking fluids on a daily basis, all year around.

If I do dehydrate by accident, it doesn't usually show up on me until I lay down at night for bed time. I get gawd awful leg cramps.

Most of my fluid in take is bottled water, or something with little, or no sugar in it. I will sometimes mix a little concentrated lemon, or lime juice in the bottled water.

Back