Hype that was confirmed for you?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What clubs or shafts out there had THP hype that you sort of doubted actually surprised and delivered for you?

• Staff
Big one for me, Chromolly.

I had to watch and listen to @Canadan geek out of his britches about it and just thought, yeah whatever that’s cool…..but it’s actually AMAZEBALLS.

About time he was right on something ;):LOL:

Since a lot of it has panned out for me, I will stick to a couple that had MEGA hype heading in.

Callaway Epic when it was first announced 4-5 years ago was the most hyped driver since R11 and it delivered (R11 did not).
UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts were so heavily talked about when I was visiting OEMs when they first came out about a decade ago. They delivered and then some.

My irons. They're forgiving for my lousy game.

My foot wedge. At first I thought it might be tough to use but then I discovered that all you have to do is shout LOOK! and point back toward the other side of the fairway and nobody's the wiser.

recoil shafts
evolve epoch tees and motionwool socks
cloudspun

i'd say the benefits of hollowbody irons

recoil shafts
evolve epoch tees and motionwool socks
cloudspun
Motionwool socks are absolutely in there. My goodness they are so freaking good.

• Staff
My foot wedge. At first I thought it might be tough to use but then I discovered that all you have to do is shout LOOK! and point back toward the other side of the fairway and nobody's the wiser.
Bahahahaha! :LOL:

B21 Driver...so many people raved about this driver and it has been even better than I could have hoped. The confidence I have stepping up on the tee box with that thing is ludicrous.

exs220

B21 Driver...so many people raved about this driver and it has been even better than I could have hoped. The confidence I have stepping up on the tee box with that thing is ludicrous.

My entire bag, to be honest, is in part a result of trying them because of the THP hype. The Mavrik Max irons and G400 Max driver in particular have overdelivered for me. I find a @Jman review is typically a very good indication of whether the club will work for me. He's not usually right about @Canadan, but we all have our blind spots.

Cloudspun
J40 irons and wedges
Motionwool
Triple Track

My entire bag, to be honest, is in part a result of trying them because of the THP hype. The Mavrik Max irons and G400 Max driver in particular have overdelivered for me. I find a @Jman review is typically a very good indication of whether the club will work for me. He's not usually right about @Canadan, but we all have our blind spots.
I don't know what this means, but I love it.

I've still got TEE E8 Beta fairway woods at 13* and 16.5* and one of them is always in the bag.

Apex Pro 19 irons. They were very good (except the 7 iron...lol....just didn't like the shape of it).

The B21 Driver. I'm driving the ball consistently better at 58 than at any other time I've played the game. I have been playing since 1972. I haven't changed anything other than the driver. I am still plagued by an OTT tendency.

Most times what they say a club can do for you and what it actually does for me are two very different things. The B21 does for me as advertised. I hit the ball consistently higher and longer with more accuracy.

I will say Recoil shafts also. I was pretty apprehensive when the change to graphite became necessary but the hype was absolutely warranted.

Recoil iron shafts. I never thought I could swing graphite in irons, last season I took the leap without ever testing and couldn't have been more pleased. I went steel with this years set but those shafts will always be in play for me now

Strokelab
Recoil iron shafts
Apex '19 irons

Back