I’m debating playing 5 wedges πŸ‘€

It does. My thinking was less half shots with the wedges. I have a certain distance I know each wedge generally goes and it allows me to take more normal swings on approach shots instead of from this distance I need a 3/4 Gw and trying to take off just the right amount.

Top of the bag transitions fine for me as well. I don't have any glaring gaps where it hinders what I would like to do.
My man

I guess that’s how I feel a 62 would be? Do you just want to hit yourself in the face more? Do you shortside yourself enough around the greens where you feel you hate yourself enough to need that loft over opening your 60?
I’m not as short as you. I don’t think I’d hit myself in the face as much as you might🀣🀣

The 58* + 62* is my hang up on the mix. I have the 46*, 50*, 54* set up but game a 60* at the end. I feel like I could accomplish all the shots with a 60, as I could with both a 58 and 62.

When do you hit a 58 vs a 62? If you only use the 3 iron once a round and would use the 58 and 62 more I would say why not but the 58 and 62 seem like a lot of overlap.
It’s about the gapping. I have a gap now from 46-52. I’d eliminate the gap making it :

46-50-54-58-62

My current lob wedge is a 60. I do all sorts of things with it. Fulll swings, and a ton around the green and bunkers. That would get split between the 58/62 in this instance. I more than likely wouldn’t take many full swings with the 62. Some but not many.

Could you explain the distance and type of shot for each.
46* PW: Mizuno MP20 : full shots
50*Vokey SM8 Slate blue : full shots
54* Vokey SM8 Slate blue : full shots
58* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue : full shots, green side, bunkers, chips pitches
62* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue : an occasional full shot, everything green side, bunkers, chips pitches

I don't see the need for a 62 vs a 58.
Not in you game. But I him my 56-115-125 60-105-115

mid be able to eliminate full shots with a lob wedge more than a 58 and use the versatility of the 62 everywhere else.

I’m not as short as you. I don’t think I’d hit myself in the face as much as you might🀣🀣

Remember when we were friends?

Play all 5! I play 5 wedges as my iron game is the strongest part of my game. I play a PW, AW, 52, 56, 60. I love having all the options the closer I get to a green. Do it!!

Play all 5! I play 5 wedges as my iron game is the strongest part of my game. I play a PW, AW, 52, 56, 60. I love having all the options the closer I get to a green. Do it!!

My head would hurt. :unsure:

My head would hurt. :unsure:
Probably just because I'm not great with partial swings. So I love more options will full swings into greens. Don't need more clubs at the top of the bag, so why not?

I've been thinking about this and evaluating a few things about my bag and if it would be useful.

driver
3 wood
5 wood
3 hybrid
4 hybrid
5 hybrid
6-pw
52-56-60

For me in my bag, I would not eliminate the hybrids. So that leaves me the 3 & 5 wood, I would eliminate the 3 wood and here's why, I would use the 5 on long par 3's and par 5's, most generally the par 5's are long enough that I may or may not reach in 2 anyways so a 5 wood would suffice and it would most of the time leave me a full wedge in most likely.

Not in you game. But I him my 56-115-125 60-105-115

mid be able to eliminate full shots with a lob wedge more than a 58 and use the versatility of the 62 everywhere else.

I don’t have your swing speed my 58 is an 80 yard club so I don’t have that gap on the low end. I can see it for gap management. I have never played anything more than 60.

You stated previously that you hit the ball low which is similar to me. Do you hit it low be cause you are steep and have a lot of forward press trying to pinch the ball and hit a low spinner? This is what I did and it worked well for my course which had a lot of back to front sloping greens and were fairly soft. I had issues when playing harder courses though. I really worked on trying to no let my hands get ahead of the ball though which help raise my trajectory to allow for the ball to land softer.

Before getting my SM8's last August I had a 50* and 54*. I went to 49*, 54* and 58*. Having never played a 58* it has taken a little getting used to. I still haven't gotten comfortable with full shots and still rely primarily on my 54* for shot 100 and in. The 58* has been great out of the bunker though and I'm getting more used to hitting flop shots around the green with it. I can say though that at first, and even still a little, it has provided a little confusion and lack of confidence when choosing a shot. That is part of the reason I've stuck with the 54* more overall because I've had one for close to 15 years and am comfortable with it. I could see having another wedge causing that issue but then again we are all different so it may not. I think I would lean towards a 3H to give another option off the tee or going for par 5's and just rely on opening up the 58* if I needed to.

I've been thinking about this and evaluating a few things about my bag and if it would be useful.

driver
3 wood
5 wood
3 hybrid
4 hybrid
5 hybrid
6-pw
52-56-60

For me in my bag, I would not eliminate the hybrids. So that leaves me the 3 & 5 wood, I would eliminate the 3 wood and here's why, I would use the 5 on long par 3's and par 5's, most generally the par 5's are long enough that I may or may not reach in 2 anyways so a 5 wood would suffice and it would most of the time leave me a full wedge in most likely.
With a putter doesn't that leave you at 15 clubs already?

That math on this... Ouch...

Feel like this is your game so can't wait to see you and we get to a 72.75 yard shot so I can guess what wedge you will use...

I need length on par 5s so I will stick with fairway wood and 4 wedges...

Nice choice in slate blue though.

I go 46, 50, 54, 58, 60. I know the 58 and 60 are super close but I have a L grind vokey in 58 and 60 in a vokey D grind so it gives me similar loft buy very different bounce ( 4 to 12 degrees) based off the shot ahead of me. Biggest difference is coming out of bunkers.

Or you could just add a chutter and call it a day. Just saying.

Hear me out... What if you went with a blade putter and a mallet. Forgiveness, and Internet golfer street cred

Its almost like you have no idea what different kinds of wedges do. lol

Its almost like you have no idea what different kinds of wedges do. lol

They hit the ball inside ten feet. It’s almost like you have no idea what wedges are supposed to do 😎🀣

They hit the ball inside ten feet. It’s almost like you have no idea what wedges are supposed to do 😎🀣
There a lot of different ways to get there.

There a lot of different ways to get there.

Are you more trying to fill a sub 80yd shot gap or are you just using it around the greens when you short side yourself?

Are you more trying to fill a sub 80yd shot gap or are you just using it around the greens when you short side yourself?
Man a 60+ degree wedge mustve really did you wrong lol. If you look at my gapping, the gap is 46-52. Thats not good. Throw in the fact i hit the ball LOOOOWWWW. Ill hit a 62 like most people would a 58 is my guess. Yet everyone argues that a 58/62 are so close theres no difference. lol. There is. a big one. considering my current sand wedge is a 56.

So filling the void.... 46/50/54/58/62. Id be taking full swing with everything until the 62. Maybe an occasional full swing but it would become my extremely versatile green side or within 40Yd club. Obviouly would have a very different grind than say the 54/58. If you hit the ball high, I get it. I dont on full swings. But, with my greenside wedges, i love versatility. I find it hilarious that so many people (staff members included) on THP are all for forgiveness and versatility in their game. But, man. Someone goes and tries to think outside the box when it comes to where literally over 70% of shots are hit and 🀯. Brains explode lol. Noone considers a 3i a versatile club. Long fairway shots, and tee balls. Not sure what else its used for. Depending on course condition would dictate whether or not id use one or the other (3i/62). Its not like i cant hit a 62.

Man a 60+ degree wedge mustve really did you wrong lol. If you look at my gapping, the gap is 46-52. Thats not good. Throw in the fact i hit the ball LOOOOWWWW. Ill hit a 62 like most people would a 58 is my guess. Yet everyone argues that a 58/62 are so close theres no difference. lol. There is. a big one. considering my current sand wedge is a 56.

So filling the void.... 46/50/54/58/62. Id be taking full swing with everything until the 62. Maybe an occasional full swing but it would become my extremely versatile green side or within 40Yd club. Obviouly would have a very different grind than say the 54/58. If you hit the ball high, I get it. I dont on full swings. But, with my greenside wedges, i love versatility. I find it hilarious that so many people (staff members included) on THP are all for forgiveness and versatility in their game. But, man. Someone goes and tries to think outside the box when it comes to where literally over 70% of shots are hit and 🀯. Brains explode lol. Noone considers a 3i a versatile club. Long fairway shots, and tee balls. Not sure what else its used for. Depending on course condition would dictate whether or not id use one or the other (3i/62). Its not like i cant hit a 62.

Half the fun is giving you grief, because you both carry a 3i and you want a 62 degree wedge. You just gave me the material, I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't take a swing at that high fastball over the middle :giggle:

I can understand the gapping. I have no problem with you going 50-54-58, that is the correct club gapping in this situation. I was just trying to figure out if you were going full Leeroy Jenkins with it from 80yds or if you have the blessed curse I have of going for every pin regardless of location, and you short side yourself a lot to the point where you need to go for the left orbital socket shot.

Half the fun is giving you grief, because you both carry a 3i and you want a 62 degree wedge. You just gave me the material, I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't take a swing at that high fastball over the middle :giggle:

I can understand the gapping. I have no problem with you going 50-54-58, that is the correct club gapping in this situation. I was just trying to figure out if you were going full Leeroy Jenkins with it from 80yds or if you have the blessed curse I have of going for every pin regardless of location, and you short side yourself a lot to the point where you need to go for the left orbital socket shot.

Yes. PinSlayer was around at one point for a reason. Going for all the glory is my nature. Leaving it all on the table mostly is my reality. and yes, of course expect the ribbing. But im a bit surprised at a realistic option and interesting setup from others reaction.

Back