I’m debating playing 5 wedges πŸ‘€

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
First and foremost I’m buying new wedges. Vokey SM8s (more than likely Slate blue. My current setup is the following:

Mizuno MP20 - 46 degrees
Bridgestone XW1- 52
Bridgestone XW1- 56
Bridgestone XW1 - 60

on the top end of the bag:

Drover
3 wood
3i MP 20 HMB
4i MP 20 HMB

In evaluating the top end, although the 3/4i are laser beams, there is basically no need or very little need for me to carry a 3i. I’d guess I hit it maybe once a round or off the tee from time to time.

so, why not pull it an role with the following setup:

46* PW: Mizuno MP20
50*Vokey SM8 Slate blue
54* Vokey SM8 Slate blue
58* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue
62* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue

I could easily swap out the last wedge and throw in a hybrid or the 3i when need be.

thoughts??

Last edited:
I don’t see why not. What’s the gap between the 3-4 irons?

If the extra clubs on the bottom of the bag suit your game and the gap between 3W and 4i doesn’t create a problem for you, I don’t see why not.

hero-1.jpg
Why not make it a family affair? πŸ˜‰

I've rolled with Pw, Gw, 52, 56, 60 for a couple years now. Occasionally I'll swap out the 52 for a 3w if the course is tight but usually I'll keep it as is and use the 5w off the tee if needed.

I don’t see the need for that many wedges but whatever floats your boat 🀣

I've rolled with Pw, Gw, 52, 56, 60 for a couple years now. Occasionally I'll swap out the 52 for a 3w if the course is tight but usually I'll keep it as is and use the 5w off the tee if needed.
And it works for you? This was my thought. Although i wouldnt throw out the 3w.

Why not :mizuno: wedges?
Edit, you just replied why.
Are the mizuno wedges no good then?
I’m going to give them a try!

I don’t see the need for that many wedges but whatever floats your boat 🀣

Gonna have to provide some more context. You know how far i hit the ball. Im starting to feel the same thing you just said about the top end. So, why not provide even more versatility and options where so many damn shots come from?

In yardage or in degrees?
Yardage. You say you use the 3 iron off the tee maybe once a round. I’m sure you could do something similar with a soft 3w or be about 15 yards short with a 4 iron.

Why not :mizuno: wedges?
Im not trying to be talked out of my decision with the brand. Im pretty firm on it. Mizuons are fine but not for my eye. Same with Callaway. Same with Cleveland. Vokeys are my choice.

62 degrees of WHY?!?!??!!

THat's scary.
you must not know how to ht it. lol. WHy not? Why do i need a 3i? real question not sarcasm

You don’t need a 62. No one needs a 62. You could just open the face of your 58 or 60 and get the same thing. You could just pull the 3i for a hybrid and just be happy. Maybe even a 5w?

I've run PW, AW, 52, 55, 58. Go for it. Now that you got me thinking about it, I probably need to restructure the bottom of my bag.

You don’t need a 62. No one needs a 62. You could just open the face of your 58 or 60 and get the same thing. You could just pull the 3i for a hybrid and just be happy. Maybe even a 5w?
Not sure swapping for a hybrid solves anything.....still would barely hit it. Its not an issue of playability in the 3i. Its an issue of actually ever using a spot in my bag there....

Yardage. You say you use the 3 iron off the tee maybe once a round. I’m sure you could do something similar with a soft 3w or be about 15 yards short with a 4 iron.
Yes agreed. 3iron laser beam off the tee is 235ish, 4iron 220ish....

Back