I’m somewhat befuddled by my driver distance

Briantime

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok…, this has been bothering me for a while. Why can I hit a 7 iron 150 but my driver tops out at 210?

Shouldn’t I be hitting more like 230?

Is there a common swing issue what manifests in the driver?

Help!

I would say a common issue would be hitting down with Driver. That creates too much backspin and severely limits distance. A drill/test I like to do to make sure I’m hitting up with driver is putting an empty golf ball sleeve about a club head in front of the ball. If you swing and miss the (again empty) box then you are hitting up. If you hit the box then likely hitting down on the ball.

I had a similar issue and discovered my swing path was slightly out to in (an over the top move) and had an open face (essentially hitting a flop shot). I’ve been working on a better swing path and concentrating on keeping the face square. My distances are getting back to normal, at least what I would expect them to be for me.
Good luck.

I have a friend who is similar, his 7 iron is 175 yards or so but driver is 230 (carry distances). Just looking at his numbers his 7 iron is 90 mph CHS and driver is around 105 MPH. Watching him he doesn't take the club back much further, he's consistent and a good player, but honestly just doesn't let loose and swing his Driver for distance, and thus doesn't get the increase in distance you would expect.

Irons you can come down steeper n hit great shots. Driver too much steep can really destroy distance

I have a friend who is similar, his 7 iron is 175 yards or so but driver is 230 (carry distances). Just looking at his numbers his 7 iron is 90 mph CHS and driver is around 105 MPH. Watching him he doesn't take the club back much further, he's consistent and a good player, but honestly just doesn't let loose and swing his Driver for distance, and thus doesn't get the increase in distance you would expect.
Sounds like he is steep with a shut face. Works perfect for mid and short irons.Very bad for longer clubs

Ok…, this has been bothering me for a while. Why can I hit a 7 iron 150 but my driver tops out at 210?

Shouldn’t I be hitting more like 230?

Is there a common swing issue what manifests in the driver?

Help!
For a driver swing it is important to complete the backswing before the change of direction. This means that the spine needs to be fully twisted to the base of the head. When this happens the upper back is fully extended with an upper spine tilt towards the target. If this doesn't happen the body is cut out of the swing and the arms haven't a firm shoulder to work from.

Back