I also teach HS, but I’m a bit older than you. Wait until you start getting students that are the children of your former students. Trust me, apples do not fall far from the tree. Luckily I don’t think I’ll be around long enough for the grandkids to be in 11th or 12 grade
I'm close...August will be year 20 for me (7 more to go). I've already had several of my school classmates kids.

Still use the scantron. Have a machine by my office that scores them. And a vending machine with bundles and blue books.

Anyone remember the Ditto machine? Or carbon paper to make duplicates with a typewriter?

I ran one of these for my grandma

My first computer programming was with punch cards somewhat like this...lots of them. back in 1974.
Yup,
Screenshot_20220116-130437_Google.jpg
Hated those things and probably why I dropped that major. I was (is) dumb, oh what I could have been:D

Anyone ever use one of these cheese graters ;)

1642367913093.png

Could never fully erase a bubble. Was always worried I'd get it wrong bc of the ghost bubble

I can remember learning to type and practicing on a manual typewriter.
I took a typing class in high school thinking it would be an easy grade (it was). Little did I know that I would ge using it every day in my professional career in the software business after switching majors from music performance!

Yup,
View attachment 9060344
Hated those things and probably why I dropped that major. I was (is) dumb, oh what I could have been:D
Oh yes... My first class in computer programming was using punch cards. it was a glorious day when we found out in the 102 class that we could start using the green screen monitors instead! No more fear of "dropping your deck" on the way to getting them read.

I absolutely remember those! I had no idea they weren't used anymore.

I don't really get it. I used to use these in school I think through high school. I always thought it was because the teacher was lazy and didn't want to grade a free-response test even when we had tablets in classrooms (those didn't have a way of blocking the internet). Im 28 for reference so maybe I'm also old?

How about these?

1642369174703.png

Who remembers the cloth hand drying machines in the bathrooms? Those things had to be cesspools. I bet that's where Covid actually originated from.

EFA26C9F-1151-48E0-AB2B-E679626FCCDC.jpeg

Wow, good times. I loved the smell of fresh mimeograph tests (not the tests, just the smell). I wore my bobcusy's to school and used a book strap (no backpacks back then). My first time card was a punch card that we manually verified for every employee in the group. And when power windows and air conditioners came out for cars, we were styling. Anybody remember your car not starting because the carburetor was clogged (black billowing smoke if it even started)?

Yup,
View attachment 9060344
Agreed. Those stupid cards created a true hate in my heart for programming. One friggin card misstyped and zippppp.

Reactions: J4U

I see most of you are just yougins :ROFLMAO: I was born in 54 and I remember no phones unless you had the money to get one of those old hand ringer phones. I never forget the first party line in our area (we thought party lines were so cool because we could listen in on the local gossip).

Some other things that come to mind - outhouses, outside wells for water, TV was of the devil, dancing was evil, 25 cent gas was super cool (I remember getting 8 gallons for 2.00 during some mini gas wars), actually writing things down, using a shovel, home ec class where people learned to do all sorts of things like cooking food - all brings back memories.

Social "media" was actually talking to another human being face to face. Most of our early school tests were on a sheet of paper and you wrote down the answers and handed them in to the teacher. My oh my, how things have changed.

(I remember getting 8 gallons for 2.00 during some mini gas wars),
Did that include bluechip stamps? Ah, there is an oldie.

The copies from those had a very unique aroma. Almost like White-Out. I liked the smell, but they really didn't make a copy worth a lick. If you're copy was one of the last few made it was tough to read.

Who remembers the cloth hand drying machines in the bathrooms? Those things had to be cesspools. I bet that's where Covid actually originated from.

View attachment 9060352
You see those and the first thought is "I'll just wipe it on my pants"

• Haha
Reactions: KEV
Did that include bluechip stamps? Ah, there is an oldie.
Not that time, but there were some stamps for different things. You could collect and trade them in.

Back