I am broken. Help!

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
It was a purely struck 4 iron, maybe the best of the year. I was in awe of the ball flight until I noticed another object enter the picture.. The head of my favorite club. It was a little bit of thicker rough, but nothing too crazy.

Do you guys think I should reach out to TaylorMade? Has anyone experienced this?

5B17674D-9433-4BC4-BF56-57BA1AF3AB52.png
7030FA19-FCB2-422A-A7CD-1ABC84D18F43.jpeg
3482F055-61FA-45AB-8511-FDC197117284.jpeg

TM could fix it, but I’d just take it to any golf club repair place as it’s an easy fix. I’m guessing due to the age, it would be easier to take it to some place locally and have them re shaft it. Just specify that you want the same shaft brand/flex as the broken one and the same grip. The hardest part is getting the broken piece out of the hosel but it can be done with heat and something to pull it out.

I have a shaft extractor. A bit of heat & that will come out easily. Pretty easy fix. (y)

I have a shaft extractor. A bit of heat & that will come out easily. Pretty easy fix. (y)

Yep, more tedious than anything. Hardest part, depending on the age of the club, will likely be finding a matching shaft. I can't tell... what shaft was in it, Nate?

Yep, more tedious than anything. Hardest part, depending on the age of the club, will likely be finding a matching shaft. I can't tell... what shaft was in it, Nate?
I say KBS :unsure:

In that case, it might not be so hard. I had less than zero chance of making out that sticker. I had a better chance of winning a game of chicken with a tractor trailer on the highway.

Well that sucks. Local place should be able to fix easy for you.

Club's busticated! Time to buy a new one!

Or to have the head put onto a new shaft that you've been eyeing.(y)

I don't know, looks like you might need to buy a whole new set of irons now!

In all seriousness, as others have said I would just bring it to a local shop and have the fix it.

Bad news is you're going to need a new set of irons

Good news is you're going to need a new set of irons

Real news is it's an easy fix. You technically could use a little heat and some pliers to pull the steel shaft out. Graphite would be more difficult.

TM could fix it, but I’d just take it to any golf club repair place as it’s an easy fix. I’m guessing due to the age, it would be easier to take it to some place locally and have them re shaft it. Just specify that you want the same shaft brand/flex as the broken one and the same grip. The hardest part is getting the broken piece out of the hosel but it can be done with heat and something to pull it out.

It just seems so odd that it broke on a normal shot. I was thinking TM would possibly take care of it for me?

Kinda looks like a KBS Tour sticker up near the grip.

EDIT: @golfinnut beat me to it.

It does look like KBS, but they are True Temper Real Shafts. They were the stock ones that came with the TM Rsi1's.

Bad news is you're going to need a new set of irons

Good news is you're going to need a new set of irons

Real news is it's an easy fix. You technically could use a little heat and some pliers to pull the steel shaft out. Graphite would be more difficult.

I think you are right @Summit. Time to come to Nashville and get fitted!

That'll be hard to match, unfortunately.
Is that rust I see inside? Garage storage? They'll rust inside with age if you leave them in the elements. They will anyway, just expedites it.
Have had this with old clubs as well. Always an odd sudden feeling of lightness to the club!
If ya like the heads, just re-shaft the all, or maybe find a single iron on Ebay if ya can? Or not...
Least the shot came off for ya anyway! Usually the ball is in a race for distance with the head when this happens. :)

That'll be hard to match, unfortunately.
Is that rust I see inside? Garage storage? They'll rust inside with age if you leave them in the elements. They will anyway, just expedites it.
Have had this with old clubs as well. Always an odd sudden feeling of lightness to the club!
If ya like the heads, just re-shaft the all, or maybe find a single iron on Ebay if ya can? Or not...
Least the shot came off for ya anyway! Usually the ball is in a race for distance with the head when this happens. :)

There is some rust inside there. Which is odd, I have always stored them inside..The sticks are around 4 years old.

Thoughts on just re-shafting this 4 iron?

Overall I like these irons and just want the most cost effective thing.

It just seems so odd that it broke on a normal shot. I was thinking TM would possibly take care of it for me?
Those were released 6 years ago. It happens. You can always ask. It just would be easier to get it done locally.

Those were released 6 years ago. It happens. You can always ask. It just would be easier to get it done locally.

Good point. I think I will go that route.

I meant that finding the replacement shaft might be the hard part. Putting a new shaft in there is no problemo for a good club guy.
I had an old set with one shaft that broke this way and couldn't find a replacement. (Apollo shafts back then.) The TT they put in was a similar profile, but it drove me bonkers having a different shaft in one club.

Had a TM hybrid too back in the day the shaft snapped and no 1 to 1 shaft replacement was avail due to age. Never felt quite the same, but it was alright.
But it didn't have to "match" anything either. Iron was different.

I had 3 year old burner 2.0 do the same thing (broke at the top of the hosel)... good strike, ball one hopped up the fairway, the 5 iron head flew about 20 yards and I was left holding the shaft straight up in the air... really weird feeling. Taylormade wouldn't do anything but local shop where I bought them reshafted it for just the cost of shaft and grip.

I had 3 year old burner 2.0 do the same thing (broke at the top of the hosel)... good strike, ball one hopped up the fairway, the 5 iron head flew about 20 yards and I was left holding the shaft straight up in the air... really weird feeling. Taylormade wouldn't do anything but local shop where I bought them reshafted it for just the cost of shaft and grip.

Yes, it was such a weird feeling. Definitely a first.

I think local shop is the way to go!

Should be easy enough at foxy golf or local shop of your choice no need to call TM on this one...

Should be easy enough at foxy golf or local shop of your choice no need to call TM on this one...

Yes sir! Foxy was my first thought.

Yes sir! Foxy was my first thought.
Never dealt with directly, but sound like good people. They need some support during the slow down.

Back