I Believe That This Is a True Statement, Do You?

I guess you've seen people with a significant lack of self control! And yes the word cry means something significant! I cry at the loss of a loved one, whether family or friend. I cry at the loss of a pet, also a member of the family! Cry over a game of golf? You have to be kidding me! Welcome everyone! We're living in Twinkie Town!
I never said I cried over golf. I have not.

Like I said.... I have seen people throw clubs in the water, break clubs, I’ve seen people even fight on the golf course. I lost respect for all of those people. You’re missing the point, and honestly I don’t care. Go ahead. Cry at whatever the f**k you want. I’m done with this whole forum.

I was meeting a dad and his son yesterday at the range. The kid wants to take up golf and I said the following. One of two things will happen along this journey. You will leave the golf course at some point in absolute tears of frustration or you will never be very good at golf.

Not really, no. I’ve never been driven to tears from golf. I’ve been incredibly frustrated, but it just made me want to come back more and play better, correct mistakes, etc. Not being rude or argumentative, but if someone would’ve told me as a junior golfer that this game would drive me to the point of leaving the course in tears, that would’ve probably been a turn-off from the game for me. Not saying I would or wouldn’t have have continued playing, but it would’ve definitely been a red flag in my mind for sure, especially the “or you’ll never be very good” part. In my mind, I would’ve wondered would I ever be good or if I’m “doing it right” if I’m not leaving the course crying because I didn’t play well. And if someone would’ve told my son that, I would’ve been polite and smiled, but then afterwards I would’ve told him to completely ignore what that guy said. Just being honest.

And even if “crying” doesn’t actually mean leaving a course in tears, but rather just means being endlessly frustrated over the game, I still disagree to an extent. For me, my game turned a corner once I STOPPED getting so frustrated. I used to dwell on a bad round, bad hole, whatever, and it’d wear me down. Couldn’t shake it. Even a bad practice session would stress me out. But once I was able to put a hole, a round, or a bad practice session behind me and just look forward and not let it get me down (or keep me down), that’s when my game started to improve. So in short, I’d say it’s the opposite: “once you are able to control frustration and put negatives behind you, that’s when you’ll be very good.”

Not being argumentative. I know this thread has opened a can of worms. Just providing my opinion.

I was meeting a dad and his son yesterday at the range. The kid wants to take up golf and I said the following. One of two things will happen along this journey. You will leave the golf course at some point in absolute tears of frustration or you will never be very good at golf.

Personally, no, I don't find that to be true.

At my peak I got down to a 6 handicap, which (to me anyway) was pretty good. Never once left the course in tears of frustration.

As others have said, I tend to default to an optimistic outlook, so not sure I would go into a new endeavor with the expectation that I will either cry, or never be good.

The amount of machismo in this thread..... jeeze

I’ve seen people throw clubs into a lake. Break them over their knee. Beat the ground over and over and over..... if you think any of that is better than crying than damn.

I guess Tom Hanks was right “there’s no crying in baseball”

The amount of people here that have been hung up on the word “cry” is silly. But go ahead. Get frustrated and break stuff. I’d rather cry for a minute, collect my thoughts, and move on.

So I guess I will be the only person who will agree with you. I’m okay with that. I don’t need to break stuff to prove anything, Or get frustrated. Crying doesn’t equal frustration. It’s an emotional reaction to something you care about and far more productive than frustration. I’d rather cry and show some humility. You people do you though. Don’t @ me. Just wanted to let the op know I totally get where he’s coming from. Sad that the word “cry” makes people uncomfortable. Replace it with “frustrated” and people would be like YEAH THATS GOLF GOOD JOB TELLING HIM GOLF IS HARD.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing reading this thread. I don’t think crying is a better (or worse) reaction than anger, but it is telling that the reaction to crying on the golf course is “lol grow up”, while the reaction to anger on the course is “well we’ve all been there”.

A few years ago my brother who is a pretty good athlete started to play golf more often and was struggling quite a bit.

We were walking up the fairway of the 9th hole and he turned to me and said "I just don't think this sport is for me" and he quit the round after 9 holes.

I love to tell that story because he ended up sticking with it and is playing quite a bit better now, even though he still isn't as good as his little brother. (y)

Back