I broke a Nike Mach Speed 6-iron

N

NFender

Had a strange thing happen to me on the course Saturday. On a regular swing from the fairway, the head broke off my new Nike Mach Speed 6-iron -- it just flew off with a high-pitched "ping" sound. There was no divot, and it felt like a whiff, so I think the clubhead came off just BEFORE impact. The club-head "flew" about 40 yards and the ball went about 150.

The steel shaft broke about 1/4-inch above the top of the hosel., i.e., inside the ferrule.

When I took the club into the shop where I bought it, the pro noticed that the shaft was paper-thin at the break point. We compared it to another TT steel shaft, which was about 4X thicker at the tip.

Anyway, now I'm waiting for Nike to replace it.

That sucks. I hope Nike steps up and delivers. Let us know how everything goes.

Definitely let us know how it goes. I haven't even had a chance to hit my Machspeeds, hope there isn't any problems with them during manufacture.

I had an experience with NIKE CS, they were great and quick. Refunded me in full for a bag that was a few years old.

I'm not worried that Nike will be any problem; if they are, I'm sure the shop will work it out. I'll post a follow-up one way or the other.

So it looks like my confidence in Nike customer service was mistaken . . . after more than two weeks I still don't have a repaired 6 iron. Nike confirmed that they received the broken club, but since that they can't/won't give an answer on when I'll get it back.

So it looks like my confidence in Nike customer service was mistaken . . . after more than two weeks I still don't have a repaired 6 iron. Nike confirmed that they received the broken club, but since that they can't/won't give an answer on when I'll get it back.

bummer man! i hate to hear that.

Have you contacted them via the telephone? I know that sending in clubs can take 3 weeks easy sometimes to get fixed and send back.

i think you will be ok, they might be slow, but I have yet to have any problems with them. I have had to go through them a couple of times. Neither time did they notify me that my items were being shipped back.

Have you contacted them via the telephone? I know that sending in clubs can take 3 weeks easy sometimes to get fixed and send back.

Yes, the shop called to make sure they received it a few days after it was sent. Then a follow-up call two weeks later to see if Nike had an ETA, which they did not have.

My expectation for turnaround time may have been skewed by the fact that I received the custom order clubs in about 10 days, so I figured a repair would be about the same, plus a couple days for shipping it to them. (Actually, I kind of hoped they would simply send a replacement club when the Pro at the shop called it in, but that was too much to hope for.)

Yes, the shop called to make sure they received it a few days after it was sent. Then a follow-up call two weeks later to see if Nike had an ETA, which they did not have.

My expectation for turnaround time may have been skewed by the fact that I received the custom order clubs in about 10 days, so I figured a repair would be about the same, plus a couple days for shipping it to them. (Actually, I kind of hoped they would simply send a replacement club when the Pro at the shop called it in, but that was too much to hope for.)

I dont know of any companies that offer ETAs on warranty repairs. But 10 days would never happen.

I dont know of any companies that offer ETAs on warranty repairs. But 10 days would never happen.

JB, I actually disagree with what appears to be the methodology of warranty work compared to ordering new clubs. If NFender did receive his “custom” made clubs within ten days why should the same customer not expect get repair work for a faulty product turned around in the same amount of time or less? To me that gives the idea that even though you got a faulty product, because you have already purchased your clubs you are less valuable than the customer who just put in a new order. To me that is a bad customer service statement to imply.

I may be missing some obvious point however.

JB, I actually disagree with what appears to be the methodology of warranty work compared to ordering new clubs. If NFender did receive his “custom” made clubs within ten days why should the same customer not expect get repair work for a faulty product turned around in the same amount of time or less? To me that gives the idea that even though you got a faulty product, because you have already purchased your clubs you are less valuable than the customer who just put in a new order. To me that is a bad customer service statement to imply.

I may be missing some obvious point however.

They are done in two separate cases. Many times sets are made up to tons of different specs. They get ordered and then processed and shipped. With warranty work, a company has a few more steps to take. First they must ensure the club is real, that it was purchased from an authorized source. Find out what the problem pertains to and then build that single club to ship out.

They are done in two separate cases. Many times sets are made up to tons of different specs. They get ordered and then processed and shipped. With warranty work, a company has a few more steps to take. First they must ensure the club is real, that it was purchased from an authorized source. Find out what the problem pertains to and then build that single club to ship out.

Thanks JB. That makes sense.

An update . . . I just received a call from the golf shop, and my repaired machspeed 6-iron is in.

It took a little over three weeks to get back, which is a little disappointing. As a business person, I look at situations like this as an opportunity for customer delight, but Nike has a different approach, I guess.

Now I just have to convince myself that its not going to happen with another club: Over the past couple of weeks, I've discovered that "I wonder if this is going to break" is NOT a good swing-thought.

3 weeks for a brand new club seems like pretty great customer service in my opinion.

If that is what it takes for them to provide a service without raising their costs any further, I'm good with it.

An update . . . I just received a call from the golf shop, and my repaired machspeed 6-iron is in.

It took a little over three weeks to get back, which is a little disappointing. As a business person, I look at situations like this as an opportunity for customer delight, but Nike has a different approach, I guess.

Now I just have to convince myself that its not going to happen with another club: Over the past couple of weeks, I've discovered that "I wonder if this is going to break" is NOT a good swing-thought.

That is definately not a good swing thought. Glad you have your 6 iron back.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but this is the very reason why I don't buy anything from Nike, and haven't for about 15 years. I just think they're a poor company who has a lot of money and buys their way into sporting goods.

**Getting off of my soap box....** :)

Hello, Im new to this site and had a question about your bag situation. I have a nike xtreme lite carry bag that ive had for a "few years" and the spine of it is bent and causing my irons not to go in to easily. also one of the legs is bent and the leg release system seems to lack the pep it once had. How did you go about it?

Hello, Im new to this site and had a question about your bag situation. I have a nike xtreme lite carry bag that ive had for a "few years" and the spine of it is bent and causing my irons not to go in to easily. also one of the legs is bent and the leg release system seems to lack the pep it once had. How did you go about it?

First off, welcome to THP!

I think that post was intended towards me, if not, sorry. I had my golf bag for probably 2 years at the time. The plastic on the bottom where the main spine of the bag was cracked and eventually broke causing the bag to not stand up like it should. I contacted Nike CS a couple of times to see what kind of solution they would give me. Both times I received the same answer(which is not always the case when dealing with companies and the CS dept). I mailed the bag in to them, they told me they could either fix or give me my money back, even after 2 years because there materials are lifetime guaranteed on their bags. Within 2-3 weeks I received an email from that they had inspected my bag and I should check the mail for the solution. They ended up giving me a Nike card worth $110, which is what the value of the bag was when it originally was sold. While that was going on I purchased a Nike Xtreme Element bag which I have had no issues with yet. It didn't have as much pocket space but that has led to less clutter in the bag.
yhst-17159114447480_2138_196475782

I would suggest contacting Nike either by phone or use their "live help" option on their website.

Maybe your golf shop could have had some more communication with Nike in order to hurry that time up a little. But 3 weeks certainly isnt THAT long.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but this is the very reason why I don't buy anything from Nike, and haven't for about 15 years. I just think they're a poor company who has a lot of money and buys their way into sporting goods.

**Getting off of my soap box....** :)
I think that partnering with Tiger Woods as a gateway into the industry is far from buying their way into it. And since, have become one of the heavy hitters in the industry. They arent a poor company at all. 3 weeks isnt terrible, and the golf shop should take a little ownership for the length of time aswell. Ive had stuff fixed from Nike and turned around in 2 weeks at the club I worked at in the summer.

I'd be changing irons I think. Once they have your money you drop waaaay down on the list of priority.

Okay that sounds like it wouldnt be to difficult. Nothing is like falling off the bag but It doesnt operate as it once did and is crooked if you look at it while its standing. It just really is unfortunate because I like the bag and have been through alot with it hah along with not having an extra 150 to spend on another one being a college student, I hope they will help me out.

Back