I can't believe it...

Armlock. Absolutely takes your hands/wrists out of the stroke.

Nooooo….. after about 10 rounds early in the season with the same issue, not shaking but certainly a bad stroke, I changed my grip. I went from the traditional to right hand low. (I’m left handed). That worked for me.

I also found that for me, it's easier to start a lighter weighted putter going back, which for me, improved tempo, which got rid of the putter getting shaky going back. But I paid a lot for that solution - just took a good fitting. But that was just one factor that I discovered during a fitting.

I fancy myself a pretty smart guy. I graduated with almost a perfect GPA in undergrad and hold a masters degree, but I have no idea what any of that means. If you might dumb that down for me, I would be grateful.

My smart phone now has sufficient accumulated knowledge for ten PHd.
Our intellect is a very sophisticated survival tool, nothing more, nothing less.

Dr David Eagleman neuroscientist has researched and written extensively about the brain.
On the subconscious, another of his quotes that may make the point clearer:

"Your consciousness is like a tiny stowaway on a transatlantic steamship, taking credit for the journey without acknowledging the massive engineering underfoot. "
'Incognito: The Secret Lives Of The Brain' Dr David Eagleman

Many golf instructors and biomechanists teach the golf swing as if it is simply a series of movement and positions of over 200 bones and 600+ muscles, seemingly unaware of the "massive engineering underfoot".

As a follow up on this thread, I took some suggestion and went to the saw grip. It has helped tremendously. Frankly, I am shocked at how much it has helped.

I'm not a psychologist or neurologist or any kind of "ist" to diagnose any physical or mental issues going on. But...

Go out and play alone. give yourself goals and rewards for certain putts. The shorter the putt, the greater the reward. Maybe a 15 footer you treat yourself to a favorite candy bar or something. 10 footer gets you a Fast Food treat. inside 5 feet you treat yourself to something special. A 'bit' of pressure with no real consequence and nobody watching.

IF you're fine outside of a certain distance, go through your normal routine. If you miss and have a knee knocker. Just go ahead an Ty Webb the thing. As you walk up, just do the "na, na, na, na, na...." thing. Barely stop and just stroke it toward the hole and do the sound. So what if you miss... You've apparently convinced yourself you're going to miss it anyway. Basically just to get yourself loosened up over that distance. Once you realize that your wife won't leave you, your dog won't die and the world won't end if you miss a 3 footer, only that you're the butt of a few jokes from your "friends", what's the point of worrying?

Many golf instructors and biomechanists teach the golf swing as if it is simply a series of movement and positions of over 200 bones and 600+ muscles, seemingly unaware of the "massive engineering underfoot".

I might partially agree with you here because not many of the well-known biomechanical experts (ie . Dr Steven Nesbit, Dr Phil Cheetham , Dr Sasho Mackenzie , Dr Kwon Kee , Dr Scott Lynn, Dave Tutelman) have major qualifications in human anatomy (muscles/bones, etc). They do have expertise in physics, maths , engineering and the sub areas of Biomechanics (including Kinematics and Kinetics).

If they combined their knowledge with that of Dr Jeff Mann ( a retired physician with a MD degree, and also a BSc degree with majors in anatomy and physiology) and worked together , we might have better quality information on the 'how' and 'what' of the golf swing plus better understanding on 'cause' and 'effect'.

Currently , we have a bit of a critical debate going on between the various camps.

Understanding how the subconscious works in the golf swing or the best way to learn motor skills may not be something they have studied in any great depth.

I might partially agree with you here because not many of the well-known biomechanical experts (ie . Dr Steven Nesbit, Dr Phil Cheetham , Dr Sasho Mackenzie , Dr Kwon Kee , Dr Scott Lynn, Dave Tutelman) have major qualifications in human anatomy (muscles/bones, etc). They do have expertise in physics, maths , engineering and the sub areas of Biomechanics (including Kinematics and Kinetics).

If they combined their knowledge with that of Dr Jeff Mann ( a retired physician with a MD degree, and also a BSc degree with majors in anatomy and physiology) and worked together , we might have better quality information on the 'how' and 'what' of the golf swing plus better understanding on 'cause' and 'effect'.

Currently , we have a bit of a critical debate going on between the various camps.

Understanding how the subconscious works in the golf swing or the best way to learn motor skills may not be something they have studied in any great depth.
Pure scientific research for the subconscious and motor skill learning has been readily available for past 30 years.

If the truth were readily accepted, ie complex chain action motion is determined by a singular intention in the subconscious
and that the intention should be focused on external tools, not body parts

99% of golf instruction would be out of business.

I had the chipping yips. Addressed the ball further away and it helped. So, change something like stance or style. I thought it leaked into my putting as an insert fell out of the clubhead. I hit pop ups. I changed putters and I was fine. I thought the change corrected my yips. But, later realized the insert fell out. Strange game we play.

It has finally happened. After years of playing, I played this past week, and officially have developed the y!ps. I mean it is bad. I have no problem if the putt is outside of 5 feet, but any shorter and it is ugly. Full on trembling hands and a jab at the ball...I cannot shake it (pun intended). Other than thoughts & prayers for the death of my golf game, any recommendations would be appreciated, especially from y!ps survivors.

[/QUOTE]
I am interested in your concept of how to putt. Do you believe the hands and forearms supply the motive power of the putting stroke? When you putt the hands hold the putter, guide the stroke and with the forearms move the shoulders during the putt? The stroke all happens from the hands to the shoulder?

Last edited:
It has finally happened. After years of playing, I played this past week, and officially have developed the y!ps. I mean it is bad. I have no problem if the putt is outside of 5 feet, but any shorter and it is ugly. Full on trembling hands and a jab at the ball...I cannot shake it (pun intended). Other than thoughts & prayers for the death of my golf game, any recommendations would be appreciated, especially from y!ps survivors.

I am interested in your concept of how to putt. Do you believe the hands and forearms supply the motive power of the putting stroke? When you putt the hands hold the putter, guide the stroke and with the forearms move the shoulders during the putt? The stroke all happens from the hands to the shoulder?
[/QUOTE]

I believe in ascertaining the speed, getting my line, gripping the putter, and then rocking my shoulders. Since going to the "saw" grip this ability to just rock the shoulders to make the stroke has greatly improved. The idea being that I want to take as many variables out of my game as is possible. Prior to changing my grip, no matter how much I wanted to rock my shoulders to keep my hands out of the stroke, I could not manage to do it. It was awful; honestly, it was a bit traumatizing.

I believe in ascertaining the speed, getting my line, gripping the putter, and then rocking my shoulders. Since going to the "saw" grip this ability to just rock the shoulders to make the stroke has greatly improved. The idea being that I want to take as many variables out of my game as is possible. Prior to changing my grip, no matter how much I wanted to rock my shoulders to keep my hands out of the stroke, I could not manage to do it. It was awful; honestly, it was a bit traumatizing.
[/QUOTE]
"The shaft, acting as the principle accelerator and also alignment controller, MUST comply with every associated Law and Rule required of it, if it is to achieve it's fundamental purposes. But, we being humans and driven by our obsessions to dominate and control all things, demand that the shaft do what we demand of it, even though we know little or nothing about it's true purposes.

The reality is that it is the other way around. We are the servants and physics is the master!

We MUST work out, as servants and not masters, what the shaft is required to do, as demanded under the laws and rules of physics, to satisfy every facet of it's own performance functionality. We then MUST discipline ourselves to serve the needs of the golf shaft!"

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
I watched my wife go through the putting yips and like you she overcame them by learning to putt using the saw grip. From what I have read about the yips, the cause is hands related. Because the stroke is minimal we tend to fall into the habit of actively engaging the hands and rushing the club back. If the clubhead is resting on the ground at the start of the backswing, the takeaway becomes a snatch back with the shaft being pulled off its plane right from the get go. When the shaft shifts plane, it alters the direction of the clubface aim. A simple alternative is to not ground the putter and ensure the full weight of the putter is supported by the hands at address before the takeaway. This way the hands only have to hold the club on plane during the stroke while larger more powerfull muscles swing the hands.

I think heavy-headed putters cause "yippiness." Starting a 350-360g putter with a heavy swingweight is not conducive to some of us. I am going to find a 340g putter with a CB weight in the hands and use it.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely rock the shoulders and keep the hands out of it. Your hands should be quiet just holding the club. Control speed by length of the stroke not a pop with the hands.

Back