I got fit for stiff shafts but my swing speed has gone up, am I in trouble?

Cardsfan077

Reaction score
I'm 16 and got fit for PXG gen 6 0311 p irons 6 months ago. At the time, my swing speed with 7 iron was 88 mph so the fitter put me in stiff kbs tour 120 stiff shafts. Since then, my swing speed has gone up 7 mph to 95 (made a pretty significant swing change). It hasn't been a problem yet but my ball flight has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY higher and much more spinny. Where I was 95-100 peak height, 7500 backspin before, I'm 125-130 peak height 8500 backspin. This has led me to hit the exact same distance with 7 iron but with a much higher swing speed. Am I screwed? I blew my entire golf club budget on these clubs so I can't afford to buy new shafts. It's very frustrating to not be able to get the full potential out of my swing because my shaft stiffness is holding me back...

I play KBS stiff and swing my 7 iron as fast or faster without any issues

has angle of attack changed? What ball do you play?
I think there are multiple factors to look at and not just the shaft

Have you changed to a lower spinning ball yet? If not, do that first. Something like a Bridgestone B X, B XS, Cally Chrome Soft XLS, etc. (there are plenty others). Still premium ball, but designed for less spin on full swings and lower ball flight but still soft and spinny around the green.

I'm 16 and got fit for PXG gen 6 0311 p irons 6 months ago. At the time, my swing speed with 7 iron was 88 mph so the fitter put me in stiff kbs tour 120 stiff shafts. Since then, my swing speed has gone up 7 mph to 95 (made a pretty significant swing change). It hasn't been a problem yet but my ball flight has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY higher and much more spinny. Where I was 95-100 peak height, 7500 backspin before, I'm 125-130 peak height 8500 backspin. This has led me to hit the exact same distance with 7 iron but with a much higher swing speed. Am I screwed? I blew my entire golf club budget on these clubs so I can't afford to buy new shafts. It's very frustrating to not be able to get the full potential out of my swing because my shaft stiffness is holding me back...
Sounds to me like this may be an opportunity to learn how to flight your ball down to control your trajectory and spin. Or maybe also how to take distance off a shot by choking down on the club slightly.

A good game that might help is to try to hit a 100 yard target with multiple clubs. Start with your normal 100 yard club and then use the club on either side of it. As you get good at it try using the next club up. Repeat for a 150 yard target, etc.

You could also try using a different golf ball designed for lower spin

I wouldn’t worry about changing shafts just yet because Irons are more about precision than flat out distance. As long as you can hit them with predictable yardage gaps and the ball has a steep enough descent angle with enough spin to hit and hold greens you will be fine. If you need a little more distance, just go up a club and swing smoothly.

My hunch is that learning these skills will help you more in the long run to score lower in the future.

Back