I guess I am an Oban junky now

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
Ugh. I need to stop going to fitters. Seriously.

A few weeks ago, I went and got a full back fit. Long story short, I ended up buying new Oban CT125's for my T200's because they just feel so pure. The difference between my ProjectX 6.5's and the Oban's was insane and it showed. Its not that I didn't hit the PX 6.5's well. I did. But the feel was sooooo good with the Oban's. See below for a sample of the fitting results. This was consistent no matter how many times I came back to them.

6i T200 PX6.5.JPG
6i T200 Oban125.JPG

So while dropping off my irons to get the Oban CT125's put in my T200's, it was dead quiet so my fitter let me hit whatever I wanted just to give him something to do. I ended up hitting a 160 or so driver shots and played with over a dozen shafts until close. It was a good night. Also an expensive night.

My current shaft is an Evenflow Black 6.0 S. Love the thing and while it did reduce drastically the 2-way miss I have been fighting all year, it was a step forward but not an answer. I hit some great rounds with it ( 77, 79, 80, 79, 81 etc ) over the last 6 or 7 rounds of the year. Last time I was in for the full fitting, I tried the Ventus Blue ( among a few others ) and it was decent. Gave me 3-5 yards more on average and tighter dispersion. Really nice feel, similar to the Evenflow. Nothing to warrant swapping shafts however. So now that we had some time and nobody else around, I explored some different shafts. Some lighter, some heavier just to play around and get a feel.

This is where it gets expensive. After trying a few, I ended up on 3: Accra, Oban Isakawa, and Evenflow Riptide.

The Riptide was really nice. It felt just like my Evenflow Black 6.0 but with a stiffer tip. Netted 3-4 yards and a .01 increase in smash factor but the big improvement was dispersion. Definitely easier to manage the club face than the Evenflow Black. But not enough to really warrant a switch. Similar to my experience with the Ventus Blue.

The Accra was really nice but no really change in distance and a lower ball flight. Best shaft though on dispersion. Incredibly consistent. Just not what I was looking for.

In the end, the Oban just straight up matched better. I gained 12-15 yards on average, my average smash factor across 15 shots was 1.51 capping at 1.53 on a few shots with the lowest at 1.49 ( and yes I asked if the Trackman was misconfigured for them to be so high ). Swinging between 102-104 mph I was getting 154-157 mph ball speeds. All this with a consistent small draw. It was insane how tight the dispersion were, even on mishits ( high toe, low heel ) the ball went straight with a draw. And most important, every swing resulted in a very soft draw that I could control.

This should be a huge step to helping solve my 2-way miss and get some confidence back in my driver which used to be one of the strongest parts of my game. I came back around 3 times over the 160 shots just to make sure this was the right time. Each time with the same results.

In the end, I bit the bullet and jump on the Oban Isawa Red 65g Stiff 45" length in my Epic Flash SZ. I am getting it pured because I don't plan on switching out shafts anytime soon ( famous last words ).

Oh and did I mention I even put CT125's in my new MD5 wedges? Sigh......I should try a new less expensive hobby. Like hookers and cocaine.

20191211_154715.jpg20191211_160005.jpg20191211_160031.jpg

Oban makes some phenomenal product. Wish they had some involvement on thp.

Oban makes some phenomenal product. Wish they had some involvement on thp.

Yeah that would be incredible. Just imagine a Shaft Up style day at Oban. o_O

Yeah that would be incredible. Just imagine a Shaft Up style day at Oban. o_O

Well to be fair to UST....they are effing amazing at what they do and the product the produce is top tier. Shaft up is just a special special event every year that I wouldn’t want another shaft oem to copy because UST does it so well and is committed to THP. But if Oban came up with something unique it would be cool.

Well to be fair to UST....they are effing amazing at what they do and the product the produce is top tier. Shaft up is just a special special event every year that I wouldn’t want another shaft oem to copy because UST does it so well and is committed to THP. But if Oban came up with something unique it would be cool.

Completely agree. UST is fantastic with the partnership. Don't mean to under-appreciate that at all. They would have to come up something unique to them. :)

Yea Oban makes amazing shafts. When they came out I got one being in Illinois and they started up here it was the fitters around who had them first. Got the Oban devotion 7 in stiff out into my 3 wood. Absolutely love it. Recently got fit for a 3 wood 10 or so years later I’m still an Oban devotion 7 stiff lol. Not much change.
I also got the Oban steel shafts but the ct115’s. Not sure if I hit the 125’s. Odd because I was coming from x100’s. The shaft is so light to me but the fitter said it improved the path into the ball. Really stopped the over draw I’d get. Said it was allowing the shaft to stay more upright instead of laid off. Idk. They seem to work in simulator but it was a definite getting used to the new clubs period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm playing my first set of Oban CT's in my irons and find these to be remarkable. Feeling is so different to me than any other iron shaft--my word for it is 'dense'. Coupled with the great feel is that these things just seem to make the ball want to go straight (yes, I can work the direction a bit, but any decent swing seems to end up going pretty darn straight unless I'm putting a swing on them to work it right or left).

Liked these so much I kept an eye out for another used set and nabbed them....not sure what heads the second set goes in, but they are ready!

I'm playing my first set of Oban CT's in my irons and find these to be remarkable. Feeling is so different to me than any other iron shaft--my word for it is 'dense'. Coupled with the great feel is that these things just seem to make the ball want to go straight (yes, I can work the direction a bit, but any decent swing seems to end up going pretty darn straight unless I'm putting a swing on them to work it right or left).

Liked these so much I kept an eye out for another used set and nabbed them....not sure what heads the second set goes in, but they are ready!

You very much mirrored my sensations. It felt like it was helping keep the face square and resisted any torquing of the clubhead but yet still returned a lot of energy through the impact zone at the tip. During the fitting, I was able to on demand hit a fade or a draw shot which was a bit scary, frankly. My fitter and I started playing a game. He would call out "5 yard draw", "10 yard fade", "straight" and I would hit that shot. Really closed the deal that I had that level of confidence in shot shape and hit it consistently.

Glad you found some shafts that really fit you well. I have never had the opportunity to try any Oban shaft.

On an Oban related note it’s hard to believe callaway only offer the devotion 7 in x flex lol. No stiff offering. Odd.

Yea I’m really loving the Oban CT’s the more I hit them. They go much straighter as said. Seems like if you get into the right weight and it fits you their quality is super high, materials are super high and fit/finish is as well. The irons definitely look different vs anything out there in terms of diameter of overall steps, placement, and design. They use a unique never before used process to make them. I cannot recall but they have a few videos in where someone from Oban sits down with a guy and they talk about these. They have them in about 11 flexes across all lengths allowing for nearly unparalleled fitting possibilities.
The process was such where they had complete control of wall thickness, length, weight and could dial it in. No sorting. All shafts across all categories will weight and bend the same in their own respective weights/flexes. Really cool stuff. I believe we’ll see more tour usage as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the Oban line up is fantastic, I have played the shafts in my woods on and off for quite a long time, I will still occasionally put a Tour Prototype V430 in my 3 wood. I love the CT 125, great feel and very consistent. The Isawa has been one of my best shafts for a wide variety of clients.

I agree, the Oban line up is fantastic, I have played the shafts in my woods on and off for quite a long time, I will still occasionally put a Tour Prototype V430 in my 3 wood. I love the CT 125, great feel and very consistent. The Isawa has been one of my best shafts for a wide variety of clients.

Do you find that fitting the Oban Driver/FW woods, that the driver configuration works well in the fairway woods or you tend to switch to a different shaft profile? I am not talking weight but completely different shafts for the FW ( 3w or 5w )? Normally I find the right driver profile and then get the same shaft at 5w length and go up a weight ( 65g to 75g for example ). Through my fittings it seems to be a good reference but not sure if that's common or uncommon. For example, I am looking at the same shaft in 75g weight for my 5w at 42.5" based on the "same swing profile" approach.

It can match well, the Isawa is a higher launching profile for Oban, so it could be a really good fairway shaft (10 grams heavier than the driver). Always best to double check with a launch monitor to make sure. Occassionally players may want something different in a fairway due to the fact that they are hitting it off the ground rather than off a tee.

My clubs are out to be reshafted to CT100s after a recent fitting, outperforming my LZ 5.5s. This is the first time I have reshafted - always just bought a replacement set. I hope to sing the same praises after on course performance. The performance was certainly there in the hitting bay.

Back