Graz

Husker Pride Nation Wide
Reaction score
Handicap
Well I came home to find that someone had made their way into my garage and took my prized mountain bike. It was a team issue Yeti 575 mountain bike. Damn thing cost me a fortune! It will cost me $7,500-$8,000 to replace it as it had all the top line components (it was initially built for a team rider). I am so steamed!:angry:

Anybody have any luck making a claim for a stolen bike on their renters insurance?

DSC02155.jpg

Renters Insurance should cover it. Not the components of it necessarily. Did you have the bike listed?

Be prepared to fight with them about the 'depreciation' of your sled. They'll offer you pennies on the dollar for your loss.

I've been fortunate to not have been robbed, but several of my buddies have been.

One buddy here in Dallas, they tried to offer $1000 for his Colnago with full Campy Chorus (that would buy the wheelset)

That sucks!
Someone came into our apartment a few years ago and took the wife's laptop.
I know the feeling. I was SO mad, I'm glad they didn't come back. I may done something foolish. At least you have renters insurance. We did not.:at-wits-end:

I am so sorry Graz that sucks! I just don't understand people. A few months ago something egged all the cars in our old neighborhood and I just for the life of me could not understand how someone could have such disregard for another persons property. I am so sorry that happened to you Graz, I hope they find your bike or at the least you get properly reimbursed.

I hate thieves! Sorry you lost your bike. I have only been robbed once and that was just my car. They stole my briefcase. Still don't know why they would have been interested in a bunch of papers and a calculator....

Good luck with the insurance.

Sorry to hear Graz, hard to believe people like that are out there, but they are. When I moved here I stored my Bass Boat in a "Secured" storage yard for a while. Someone got in a back fence and dismantled that sucker. They even tried to remove the big outboard, lol. They got the prop, trolling motor, batteries, some older rod/reels and tackle, lots of assorted stuff.

Thank goodness my renters insurance was "replacement" insurance. They even payed the repair costs for where the thief ripped the T-motor off the deck. Good luck to you.

Sorry to hear about that Graz. A friend of mine has a similar setup and he just loves it, and I can only imagine how he'd be if it got stolen.

It's good you have a picture of it. I'm sure the insurance company will be looking for that.

I'm sorry you've joined the club of victims of thieves. Not a happy club, I tell you. As others wrote, it's good you have a pic of your bike. Hopefully you have some receipts or other proof of the upgraded components so you can get reimbursed.

I've been the victim of theft three times - my car was broken into twice, and home once. I have alarms on my car and home now (house being monitored electronically), so I have bit more peace of mind nowadays, but I know how you feel having someone take what you worked hard to get.

I feel your pain. I have had 4 cars stolen in the last 15 years, the last one a pristine 93 Mustang GT from the parking lot where I work. Good luck with getting compensated for your bike. I hate thieves.

Our first home was burglarized. It happened in broad daylight, and none of neighbors who were at home saw anything. There were pry marks on the front door but the police insisted the bad boys had to come through the back door.... until I showed two Dobies, and 9 pups. Guns, stereo equipment, tools, and other odds and ends. HO insurance paid for most of it. We had serial numbers on everything.

Two days later some relatives who were visiting form Indiana left to go home. Guess where some of our guns finally re-surfaced several months later? A pawn shop in South Bend was one spot. A guy was caught robbing a convenience store in the same town while using one of my stolen guns. After a few other issues it was pretty apparent the original thieves were our relatives who were visiting us at the time of the original break in.

Talking, with various folks in the know, more property theft than you might imagine is done by friends, and/or known acquaintances of the property owner.

Spoke to the insurance company and they said they will cover it. She told me replacement value but somehow I doubt it. Just gotta file a police report (which I was gonna do anyway).
To bad they can't give my poor girlfriend piece of mind. She is very upset and creeped out by this.
They (the d-bag theif) knew exactly what they were going for as they left two other somewhat high end bikes, my spare golf clubs (which there are many), my hockey and baseball gear, etc...

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little! Much obliged!

Spoke to the insurance company and they said they will cover it. She told me replacement value but somehow I doubt it. Just gotta file a police report (which I was gonna do anyway).
To bad they can't give my poor girlfriend piece of mind. She is very upset and creeped out by this.
They (the d-bag theif) knew exactly what they were going for as they left two other somewhat high end bikes, my spare golf clubs (which there are many), my hockey and baseball gear, etc...

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little! Much obliged!

Make sure you get all of your receipts ready. Insurance will try and low ball you so you need to have some back up. Its a uneasy feeling being robbed, Ive had trucks and tons of other things stolen, but none of it bugged me as much as when my house got robbed.

Check Craigslist and Ebay, chances are the guy is going to try and sell it.

Make sure you get all of your receipts ready. Insurance will try and low ball you so you need to have some back up. Its a uneasy feeling being robbed, Ive had trucks and tons of other things stolen, but none of it bugged me as much as when my house got robbed.

Check Craigslist and Ebay, chances are the guy is going to try and sell it.

I have all my info ready! I bought it straight from Yeti and I am sure they have good record of it as well as it was intended for one of their pro riders.
It sucks when somebody steals from your home. Especially since I live in a highly desirable and nice neighborhood. Makes me wanna go all Charles Bronson circa "Deathwish".:zbonk:

I have been all over Craigslist and Ebay. The local bike shops are my next call!

Thanks everybody!!!

Even though I'd be upset at the loss of my property - I think I would react more like your girlfriend and be upset at the violation of my personal space. You want to feel safe in your home and that was taken away from you and her.

Makes me wanna go all Charles Bronson circa "Deathwish".:zbonk:

If we had more men like Charles Bronson, it would be a much better world.

08deathwishbronson.jpg

Even though I'd be upset at the loss of my property - I think I would react more like your girlfriend and be upset at the violation of my personal space. You want to feel safe in your home and that was taken away from you and her.

You are right. I feel it but I mostly feel for my girlfriend as she has always been a trusting sweet girl and now all that she thought about people has been proven wrong. She is a special needs teacher so she does get to go to school and teach and nurture sweet awesome kids who make her feel great about things again.

I for one am a little pissed about the monetary loss but it is just a possession one which I can and will replace. Just gotta make sure my girlfriend feel safe again.

If we had more men like Charles Bronson, it would be a much better world.

08deathwishbronson.jpg

I would love to have Paul Kersey or Mr. Majestyk on my side!

+1. When a house we rented was broken into, the worst thing was knowing someone I didn't want in my house, was in my house. Renter's insurance covered all but $100 of it (deductible), but we didn't feel comfortable again for a long time.

Good news on the insurance front. I got it all handled today with the police report and the claim with my insurer. They are going to give me full replacement value minus my deductible. They are not even going to factor in depreciation. After all of that I get a new top line bike. Unfortunately it is going to be far more difficult to make it easier for my girlfriend to sleep at night. Luckily we have a very good watch dog. Piece of mind will take some time to come by. Monetarily I got back what I lost but emotionally it will take more. To bad they don't pay you for that.

At least I don't have to go to the Alamo to look in their basement.

At least I don't have to go to the Alamo to look in their basement.

Dude, thats my favorite movie of all time.

The piece of mind will come back after a while. I cant tell you how many times I ran outside in my boxers because I thought I heard something.

I cant tell you how many times I ran outside in my boxers because I thought I heard something.

^^^ And that was during the day while he was at work!

Had a guy peeping in my window many years ago. My wife saw him and screamed for me. I was dressed for bed, so I pulled on a pair of boots and grabbed my double barreled 12 gauge and went hunting. We had about 2 acres of property with shrubs and other vegetation on it. I spent about 30 minutes looking through every single one. I was crazy when I was younger and he would have gotten a butt full of buckshot if I had found him.

I figure he saw the gun because he never returned.

Dude, thats my favorite movie of all time.

The piece of mind will come back after a while. I cant tell you how many times I ran outside in my boxers because I thought I heard something.

I love that movie, just introduced it to m girlfriend who had never seen it.

I have jumped out of bed a ton of times because I thought I heard something. Always have and always will, especially now. :)

Had a guy peeping in my window many years ago. My wife saw him and screamed for me. I was dressed for bed, so I pulled on a pair of boots and grabbed my double barreled 12 gauge and went hunting. We had about 2 acres of property with shrubs and other vegetation on it. I spent about 30 minutes looking through every single one. I was crazy when I was younger and he would have gotten a butt full of buckshot if I had found him.

I figure he saw the gun because he never returned.

Maybe I need to acquire some heat to scare away future perps.:bomb:
My neighbors are super cool and am surprised at least one of them didn't see something. Hell I got $800,000 house across the alley from me with homeowners who are home all day. I mean damn, what ever happened to neighborhood watch?

Back