Shinko

Reaction score
Is it just me? on the course or a grass driving range my ball strike quality was pretty decent.

Getting back into the game after a couple we had a couple babies this winter and only practicing indoors on a simulator.

Seems on a mat I’ve had a tendency to hit the ball fat, also hate note being able to check for a forward divot.

Anyone else notice this? Really hope I’m not building bad habits by practicing indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the indoor or range mats don’t really allow for a true representation of your swing and there’s really no such thing as a true fat shot off of one...
I can definitely give you a false sense of security on your long irons in

Honestly I think mats are trash unless you spend good money for a good mat like Fiberbuilt or TrueStrike. I own a Fiberbuilt and it does punish you for the fat shots. About 20 yards in my case.

I think it depends a lot if you are a digger or a sweeper. I’m a sweeper so I have no problem with mats. I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Country Club Elite mat to replace the crappy one from Dick’s I just bought last July that’s wearing out already.

I don't like the feeling of hitting off mats - but even more, I hate having to clean all that green plastic crap off the soles of my clubs afterward. I avoid them whenever I can - if it's all a course has, I'll hit a few balls off them to warm up, but I won't go do a full range/practice session at a facility that only has mats.

I don't like the feeling of hitting off mats - but even more, I hate having to clean all that green plastic crap off the soles of my clubs afterward. I avoid them whenever I can - if it's all a course has, I'll hit a few balls off them to warm up, but I won't go do a full range/practice session at a facility that only has mats.

i hear ya. Do you practice in the winter or just wait for the warmer weather?

i hear ya. Do you practice in the winter or just wait for the warmer weather?

I’m lucky in that we golf year round here, so I practice/play all year long. My home course has a grass driving range, which I’m able to take advantage of.

Yeah, the indoor or range mats don’t really allow for a true representation of your swing and there’s really no such thing as a true fat shot off of one...

Oh yes there is. I hit a 4i 95 yards on one today.

I hung my head in shame and grabbed an easier to hit club, 🤣

Advantage of being a picker: Less difference between mats and tight fairway lies 😀

Advantage of being a picker: Less difference between mats and tight fairway lies 😀
I’m a picker, but I still have to scrub that dang green plastic gunk off my clubs every time I hit off mats. 🤬

I’m a picker, but I still have to scrub that dang green plastic gunk off my clubs every time I hit off mats. 🤬
I must pick even more shallowly than you. I only ever have that happen on well-worn (read: worn out) mats. You know: The kind where if you swing a bit >< too deeply it feels like you're hitting concrete?

Is it just me? on the course or a grass driving range my ball strike quality was pretty decent.

Getting back into the game after a couple we had a couple babies this winter and only practicing indoors on a simulator.

Seems on a mat I’ve had a tendency to hit the ball fat, also hate note being able to check for a forward divot.

Anyone else notice this? Really hope I’m not building bad habits by practicing indoors.

Haha, Hot Take!

I used to hate all mats but recently I’ve hit off some nicer ones and I don’t hate it as much. Still prefer grass. What I really don’t like it standing on the mat square because the edges mess with my eyes when it comes to alignment

I use to only practice on mats and had a beautiful ball flight off them with few miss hits. I became a much better player struggling to hit the ball the same way off of tight real grass tees. If you can learn to flush the ball off a torn up grass tee it will make you a better ball striker when you land in a plush fairway.

Golf mats do tend to hide bad shots many times. I like to hit off mats to practice my swing as I can tell if I hit fat or thin. On occasion, I just have to think about how the ball would react a bit differently on those poor mishits.

I’m lucky in that we golf year round here, so I practice/play all year long. My home course has a grass driving range, which I’m able to take advantage of.

life goals, gotta convince my wife to move south.

I would set every driving range mat on fire if i could

I dislike hitting from mats. I like to see the divot angle and the mats don't give a true feeling at the ball strike.

As a general rule, I don’t care for mats but the range I use regularly can’t keep grass growing quickly enough and they just seem to throw seed over the divots so the grass areas are quite lumpy. So the default at that range anyway is to use the mats. At my home course, where the range is kept in better shape, I prefer hitting from grass.

Back