I hit my irons too high! Suggestions on new GI irons?

Get x2 hot pro irons. Long, high and forgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good thread for Kong. If you happened to catch morning drive they had a good segment on hitting lower, penetrating iron shots. Standing closer to the ball and hitting the ball mid way up the club face. Freddy Kong can probably explain better on swing tips bro. I love hitting moon balls. I don't know why people complain about it as long as your gaps are dialed in.

I have always been a lurker, but I guess it's time to get my feet wet. I'd say that I agree with others above that there isn't necessarily such a thing as "too high", though there are many circumstances in which poor mechanics can yield a ball flight that is higher than desired when taking other variables of the strike into account (spin, launch angle, decent angle, side spin, etc.). Beyond swing improvement to correct these factors, a shaft better suited to your swing my result in a more drastic change to flight characteristics more so than a different club head. Also, if your ball flight IS too high, game improvement irons may not be the place to look to correct this. Their most basic function is to help golfers hit the ball as high and straight as possible. Just because your handicap isn't accepted as "low enough" to hit something less "beefy" (for lack of a better term), doesn't mean they may not be the right choice for YOU. Oh, and shiny new clubs are fun! If you want to get something new, and it fits within your budget, by all means do it! Not many things will give your game a boost like the confidence of a nice, new iron in your hand.

I've been told by family members that all of my shots can "hit low flying aircraft". I thought nothing of it as I was even in distance with them, if not out hitting them club for club.

Now this year I have a new group of friends I golf with, and they are envious of my high ball flight, and I'm currently suggesting tip (as well as GI irons) to one of them to try and get his ball flight higher because he is complaining about his lack of distance in his irons.

Like others have said, if you distances are good, hit it high and let it fly. When it starts to balloon is the problem, otherwise, swing away.

Hitting your irons high is a good thing. 150 on a 7 iron matches up well with the driver swing speed you said you had. Higher trajectory means you might get a bit less rollout on your irons, which is not a bad thing when it comes to sticking to greens.

I for one would love to hit my irons higher.

Try the mizuno EZ forged lovely flight and long forgiving irons, I changed to these after using Covert forged and hitting them so high it was a joke!!!!!...the flights on the EZs is mid-high and go a mile!!

I love hitting the ball high. Embrace the moonball!

I hit the ball fairly high too, when I got fit for my i25s the fitter put me into KBS tour shafts (heavier than the stock CFS) brought the flight down a bit. Still highish but no ballooning.
Just my $.02.

I hit my irons too high! Suggestions on new GI irons?

I have always hit a higher ball. I had 15-year-old equipment as well. Got new clubs - 714 AP1 - and some lessons. Turns out I do not have proper shaft lean at impact. Not having that shaft lean will make the ball go higher, as you're increasing the loft of the club. Whenever I have proper shaft clean my ball flight is perfect. Play the other day and hit 2 balls from the same spot with a 5-iron. First one was really high and did not have proper shaft lean and went about 180. Dropped another ball hit one properly about 200-205 with perfect trajectory and stopped on the green. Everybody's yardages will be different, but a pro watching your ball flight and position at impact is essential, IMO.

Oh....new clubs good. New clubs pretty. New cliuuuuuuuuuubs....

Like many have said. It's hard to think we amateurs are hitting the ball to high.
Mi encourage anyone that has the opportunity to go to the range at a PGA Tour or even WEB.Com event and watch how high these guys hit their irons.

You'll come way envying that ball flight.

Fair enough...but you guys are not good enablers! I was looking for crowd-sourced justification for new irons...

You need new irons with low launching graphite shafts. Then get a new z2c SeeMore to go along with it. :act-up:

It took me a while, but I've learned to accept my high ball flight. Matter of fact, on a day when I have my "A" swing, it seems like the higher I can hit it the farther it goes. I guess Nicklaus was right about the air having less resistance than the ground. lol

Irregardless of your ball flight, any of the newer irons will be a vast improvement over your 15 year old set. But the only way to find out which is to try them out. If you are looking for a lower ball flight than what you currently have, besides the obvious lessons route, you can always try a different shaft - DG300, KBS C-Taper, etc.

It's most likely not your iron hitting the ball high it's your swing.

If you want new irons buy them by all means.

If you want a lower ball flight fix your swing. My bet is your back heel is off the ground before you make contact with the ball and this causes you pick the ball up into the air. Work on keeping the heel on the ground longer and drive thru the ball this will lower ball flight.

I want to hit it high, find something that will still allow it in new technology. Soft landings on the green is a great thing, you have been given a gift.

Back