I hit my irons too high! Suggestions on new GI irons?

steamcorners

Reaction score
Handicap
Like I said, I have NO problems getting the ball up in the air--except when I top it (maybe twice a round--I'm a ~16 handicap). But I need the forgiveness of a GI iron for shots, typically off the toe. GI irons, from what I can tell, tend to be all about low CG to help the ball in the air. I don't need that.

Yes, lessons are needed too, but my irons are 15 years old, and I'd like to treat myself--or have my wife treat me for b-day/anniversary.

Current weapons are old, pre-Sports Authority, Tommy Armour 845 Oversize, with stock stiff steel shafts.

I need to get out and try some options on real grass, but I hit i25s, with regular flex steel, very well on an indoor monitor.

Don't know my iron swing speed--driver is right around 95mph.

Suggestions on newer (maybe 1-2 years old to brand new) irons to look at?

A couple of questions.
Are you sure you hit your irons too high? (meaning, what is too high)
What are the downfalls you are seeing from the high ball flight?

Some of the newer GI irons launch the ball high, but produce lower spin numbers. High balls that aren't as affected by the wind and still drop steeply.

Can't go wrong with TM RocketBladez or SpeedBlade imo. I'm a big fan of the AP1 as well.

Agreeded JB, to high would mean you are losing distance becasue of ballooning of some kind. If you are happy with the distance you are seeing I say let the moon ball reign. As far as newer offerings. I am pretty close to your handicap and if I was looking for newer irons i would definetly check out the i25's. I also really liked the look of the cleveland irons that came out last year. The MT I believe are the middle ones with a more GI feel. Good luck either way, always fun picking out new gear.

A couple of questions.
Are you sure you hit your irons too high? (meaning, what is too high)
What are the downfalls you are seeing from the high ball flight?

I can't quantify my height, unfortunately. But wind seems to be a significant problem for me, compared to playing partners. My shots tend to be more affected by little gusts, pushing offline to the sand.

I can't quantify my height, unfortunately. But wind seems to be a significant problem for me, compared to playing partners. My shots tend to be more affected by little gusts, pushing offline to the sand.

Ill be honest and say that it would be the shot and playing for the wind in most cases.
Lower spinning heads might help and some of the new ones might assist to keep from ballooning such as SpeedBlades and X2Hot

Are you hitting the ball first then the ground? I am off the opinion that higher is better than lower. As long as you are hitting ball first, it's very hard to hit the ball too high. It happens. But rarely.

I think with newer GI irons you'll be just fine with the higher flight, and probably benefit from it.

I think it was Justin Rose who said his goal was at least 100 feet at the peak of his irons. 100 feet is high and very few amateurs are going to do that consistently.

I'm a high ball hitter as well and have learned to love it. It doesn't rob me of any distance and I can land balls pretty softly into the green. That's a huge advantage over a low ball player.

Are you hitting the ball first then the ground? I am off the opinion that higher is better than lower. As long as you are hitting ball first, it's very hard to hit the ball too high. It happens. But rarely.

I'm a picker. Almost never take a divot unless I really mishit it (or some@#%$& begins screaming in my downswing like on Friday morning causing a massive chunk).

I don't know that I'm losing distance--though I feel like I should be hitting it longer than I really am. 7i is right at 150yds. 52° ATV nets me right around 100yds.

I'm a picker. Almost never take a divot unless I really mishit it (or some@#%$& begins screaming in my downswing like on Friday morning causing a massive chunk).

I don't know that I'm losing distance--though I feel like I should be hitting it longer than I really am. 7i is right at 150yds. 52° ATV nets me right around 100yds.

Based on those number and club head spead you mentioned I think you getting pretty close to the distance you should expect and wouldnt worry about the hieght as much.

go hit some callaway apex irons on a launch monitor. i am playing them and they are the softest, sweetest things i have ever seen. BUT i have a hard time hitting them high enough. very expensive but worth it. PM us if you decide to buy something.

I think it was Justin Rose who said his goal was at least 100 feet at the peak of his irons. 100 feet is high and very few amateurs are going to do that consistently.

I'm a high ball hitter as well and have learned to love it. It doesn't rob me of any distance and I can land balls pretty softly into the green. That's a huge advantage over a low ball player.

Tour average from flightscope is right around 97'.

With my previous irons I was averaging 140'. Which was too high. Good forward shaft lean at impact gets a better launch and powerful flights and distance.

Even 100' is higher than many understand.

Tour average from flightscope is right around 97'.

With my previous irons I was averaging 140'. Which was too high. Good forward shaft lean at impact gets a better launch and powerful flights and distance.

Even 100' is higher than many understand.

Agreed. 100 feet is quite high when you stop and figure it out. Last year JB watched me hit my driver and I told him it was too high. He asked why I thought that when I hit it like I do. He told me he'd play that height all day. I've never thought about it since then.

Agreed. 100 feet is quite high when you stop and figure it out. Last year JB watched me hit my driver and I told him it was too high. He asked why I thought that when I hit it like I do. He told me he'd play that height all day. I've never thought about it since then.

You hit it really well brother. Is it high? Yup. But its straight, well hit and long.

Give me more height all day long. Easier to hold a green falling out of the sky then skipping it a cross the fairway and green.

I hear a lot of people claim they hit it too high. They don't.

I think sometimes we think we are losing distance by "hitting it too high" when in reality we simply don't hit it as far as we think lol

Fair enough...but you guys are not good enablers! I was looking for crowd-sourced justification for new irons...

Fair enough...but you guys are not good enablers! I was looking for crowd-sourced justification for new irons...

Here is the best one.
They are shiny and new and will absolutely be a joy to play.
Then add higher launch with less loft meaning more distance.

Here is the best one.
They are shiny and new and will absolutely be a joy to play.
Then add higher launch with less loft meaning more distance.

That's exactly what I need. Thanks!

New irons are nice and I'd go get some if you like. Personally, I like to hit my irons high since they stop faster that way and that is the goal with irons. For me the higher it goes the further it goes.

I'm also a very high ball hitter. It frustrated me for a short while, but in the end, I think most would rather hit the ball higher than lower so it's a good spot to be in. As long as the distances are good (what you mentioned seems perfectly acceptable for your skill level), consider it a gift. That's not to say you can't improve with newer model clubs, but it's always been my understanding that hitting the ball extra high is a swing trait and probably won't be magically fixed with new clubs and shafts.

I think you'll find that even though a GI iron is designed to help the ball in the air, you won't see much extra increase in height. Anytime I hit a 'high launch' club, I find the heights are roughly the same as my current clubs. You just need to make sure that you still get the distance you want and avoid the dreaded ballooning that sometimes comes with hitting the ball higher with the wrong setup.

Well...you definitely need new irons! I mean one can't be a true internet golfer unless they buy a new set of irons at least once a year.....hehehe

Did that help?

I'd definitely love to have height on my shots ... for me, "high" is around 30-40 feet off the ground.

I think I hit my irons too high right now as well, in fact I think I hit everything too high..... but the distances I am seeing are good, and other than my thought that it is too high, it hasn't affected my play yet.

Back