I need a driving iron.

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
So my new course calls for a driving iron. The back 9 is very much links style, lots of semi blind tee shots, and whereas I’m fairly accurate with the driver, using a driver on these linksy holes has crucified me. Even my hybrid has got me into trouble, so I’m now down to taking a 5 iron off the tee, which is the longest iron I carry. I figure a driving iron would be perfect off the tee on these back 9 holes.
I’m guessing the main choices are the p790 UDI (I currently play p790’s), the Srixon u85 or the Ping g400 crossover. Swingspeed with a driver is around 93, I don’t generate spin so I’m sort of thinking the TM and Srixon are our for me. I’m not looking to hit low bullets. I still want to be able to get the ball up when I need, I just want the accuracy an iron gives me. So who uses one and what do you think of it.

#FiberLaunch

Don’t sleep on the Cleveland HB Launcher

It’s fantastic

I have a 3 iron that is 18 degrees ( in my signature) which is less loft than most UI. I really like it and hit it very well.

Mizuno Fli-Hi

I need a driving iron.

Don’t sleep on the Cleveland HB Launcher

It’s fantastic

Do these go any lower than a 4 iron?

Mizuno Fli-Hi

Yep, was reading about these. I was concerned about my fairly low swing speed with these.

#FiberLaunch

would an 80g TGI shaft be too stiff for your swing? If not, let me know and I'll send something your way.

A friend of mine has an 18º Callaway X-Forged. The thing is a rocket.

would an 80g TGI shaft be too stiff for your swing? If not, let me know and I'll send something your way.

Thank you mate. I’m not sure, but generally I like my shafts to be quite lively at the tip. If I try and play anything remotely a little boardy, I’m screwed.

#FiberLaunch

Do these go any lower than a 4 iron?

Yep, was reading about these. I was concerned about my fairly low swing speed with these.

#FiberLaunch

Don't worry about SS as long as you have the right shaft. I played a stiff CTL in these pretty well even though I should be playing regular flex. Roughly 78 MPH SS with 6i I believe.

maybe a Tour Edge CBX Ironwood if you're into the 790 profile

U85 with the stock miyazaki shaft. Shaft is way lively... to the point where I swapped it out for my normal boardy type shaft.
You can thank me later Mark. :D

I really like the X Forged. I get good spin out of them unlike the CF16.

Wait a sec... the new U85's come with a recoil shaft instead of the miyazaki.. Woops. lol

U85 with the stock miyazaki shaft. Shaft is way lively... to the point where I swapped it out for my normal boardy type shaft.
You can thank me later Mark. :D

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, and with the 85 line out you can find a used 65 on the cheap!

cobra? tm gapr?

or what about a beefier set 4i like cobra f8 or taylormade m4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, and with the 85 line out you can find a used 65 on the cheap!
I have been eyeballing the U65's also. I really like the miyazaki option better on paper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The gapr’s seemed to have generated very little buzz on here, and I’ve seen some less than favorable YouTube reviews on them.

#FiberLaunch

I use a Nike Vapor Speed 4i as a driving iron. I think it's at 23* but I'm going off of memory so I could be wrong. It sets up well and I hit it further than my Mizuno MP15 3i. Teed up low with a little forward press I can hit a low draw that runs forever when in the short grass. I've tried a lot of other gear and nothing works better for me. The keys are good contact and not blocking it. If I mess up either of those I'm going to have a very long second shot. With you having p790's I doubt this would help you but maybe adding the stock p790 3i to your set and the proper swing with it should be more than sufficient.

The gapr’s seemed to have generated very little buzz on here, and I’ve seen some less than favorable YouTube reviews on them.

#FiberLaunch

other than p790 what tm product has generated any buzz around here? i don’t say that to imply any bias against tm, just an observation.

other than p790 what tm product has generated any buzz around here? i don’t say that to imply any bias against tm, just an observation.

Speedblades, rocketblades, R1, RBZ, SLDR, and even M1 had a fair amount.

all before my time. i didn’t really feel that way about the m1, probably just my own earmuffs.

all before my time. i didn’t really feel that way about the m1, probably just my own earmuffs.

I'm old balls in internet forum years.

I will be checking out the GAPR high and the Srixon u85 for sure. Ping Crossover probably is another to consider, I wasn't a huge fan of the original but the G400 looks to be a bit improved.

I use older Ping Crossovers - #4 and #5 (they also offer a #3 I believe). When I hit either one flush the ball has a great low ball flight, and runs forever when it hits the ground. I don't have a very high swing speed, so maybe the ball flight would be different with someone who swings faster.

Sad news alert! I've got all of those (multiples on all but the RBZ-one was enough there!). And several R11's, R9's, R7's, R5's, etc etc etc. I almost couldn't find my R15 430 today when I went looking for it. I should have known one of the kids put it inside an M1 headcover. Because that makes perfect sense!

Tried to rekindle the R1 love tonight. I love how open it looks at address. At first I thought we were going to have another torrid affair, but once I found it too was a hooker, I stopped my advances.

Back