I need a little driver help

Mrooola

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all!

Once again I turn to this amazing community for some help. I got some great advice when shopping for irons so I figured why not.

So. I have a problem. The Golf equipment buying bug bit me real bad this year. I started off getting some new irons in the Wilson/Staff FG Tour F5's 4i-GW, added a couple of Wilson/Staff wedges to that set. Then I replaced my old 3w with a Titleist 917 f3 and and also replaced my 5w with a Titleist 917 h1 hybrid. It's cost me a lot of money thus far and I need this to stop.

So my problem right now is that I borrowed a Titleist 917 D3 Driver with a Adila Rouge 65g stiff shaft (I was fitted for that shaft 75g and 85g respective ly on the 3w and hybrid), but I really can't justify the price tag on it. I've never owned a driver before and my 3w currently carry around 245 so it's not that I really really need something to help me get decent length off the tee. That driver though... I hit it straight as an arrow and must have averaged around the 270 area. Can anyone give any tips on something older that could give me roughly the same performance and characteristics?

My options here are basically wait to buy a 917 to next fall when hopefully the price will drop with a new Titleist driver release (and pray i can find with that shaft) or buy something used that I don't have the option to test before I buy.

I've tested the cobra f7 and ping g, but I wasn't nearly as consistent with them.

Sorry for the long post and thanx in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer!

Best regards
Ola

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Minus the sound 915d2 or d3. Depending on how lomg you keep clubs for the cost to own the 917 is worth it if you keep it for the entire release cycle or beyond. Or try to find one used

Hey all!

Once again I turn to this amazing community for some help. I got some great advice when shopping for irons so I figured why not.

So. I have a problem. The Golf equipment buying bug bit me real bad this year. I started off getting some new irons in the Wilson/Staff FG Tour F5's 4i-GW, added a couple of Wilson/Staff wedges to that set. Then I replaced my old 3w with a Titleist 917 f3 and and also replaced my 5w with a Titleist 917 h1 hybrid. It's cost me a lot of money thus far and I need this to stop.

So my problem right now is that I borrowed a Titleist 917 D3 Driver with a Adila Rouge 65g stiff shaft (I was fitted for that shaft 75g and 85g respective ly on the 3w and hybrid), but I really can't justify the price tag on it. I've never owned a driver before and my 3w currently carry around 245 so it's not that I really really need something to help me get decent length off the tee. That driver though... I hit it straight as an arrow and must have averaged around the 270 area. Can anyone give any tips on something older that could give me roughly the same performance and characteristics?

My options here are basically wait to buy a 917 to next fall when hopefully the price will drop with a new Titleist driver release (and pray i can find with that shaft) or buy something used that I don't have the option to test before I buy.

I've tested the cobra f7 and ping g, but I wasn't nearly as consistent with them.

Sorry for the long post and thanx in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer!

Best regards
Ola

Gotta pay to play!! If you're hitting it straight as an arrow and averaging 270 off the tee, why not pull the trigger? So you don't eat out for a month, or two or perhaps a year. Can't put a price tag on fairways and greens. Good luck shopping. I was in the same dilemma. Never got fitted or bought a new driver. I was tired of not having the confidence in my driver. Not knowing where it's going. Pulled the trigger on a new F7 after my fitting. Hopefully it works!! Good luck and happy shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a driver HO the past two years and have tried almost every one on the market, including the new Ping G400 (LST) today. I keep coming back to my 915 D2 w/ Aldila Rogue. If you're dead set on the 917, find the head for sale and then purchase the shaft you want....can get entire package used for significantly less then retail.

Minus the sound 915d2 or d3. Depending on how lomg you keep clubs for the cost to own the 917 is worth it if you keep it for the entire release cycle or beyond. Or try to find one used
The clubs I had prior stayed in my bag well over 10 years. I thought about picking up a 915 used and even if it's 50% of the price tag it's still quite expensive since I would buy it without the ability to try it first.

Gotta pay to play!! If you're hitting it straight as an arrow and averaging 270 off the tee, why not pull the trigger? So you don't eat out for a month, or two or perhaps a year. Can't put a price tag on fairways and greens. Good luck shopping. I was in the same dilemma. Never got fitted or bought a new driver. I was tired of not having the confidence in my driver. Not knowing where it's going. Pulled the trigger on a new F7 after my fitting. Hopefully it works!! Good luck and happy shopping.

I get what you are saying. It's just that I've basically already used up that dinner money on the rest of the bag this year ;)

The clubs I had prior stayed in my bag well over 10 years. I thought about picking up a 915 used and even if it's 50% of the price tag it's still quite expensive since I would buy it without the ability to try it first.

In my limited time only on the range at two demo days the 915 is similar to 917 in performance. It's not quite the same in accuracy and the sound is different in 915 but the sacrifice between the two is acceptable enough for me if I had to go 915 instead of 917. While cost may be a bit much up front if you kept the 917 for even 5 years your cost to own us relatively low. That's roughly $100/year.

I've been a driver HO the past two years and have tried almost every one on the market, including the new Ping G400 (LST) today. I keep coming back to my 915 D2 w/ Aldila Rogue. If you're dead set on the 917, find the head for sale and then purchase the shaft you want....can get entire package used for significantly less then retail.
I've been looking at the used market for the 917 with the shaft, without or with different shafts that I can replace, but where I live the 2nd hand market on these are limited at best. Thanx for the tip. Definitely something I'll keep on the lookout for going forward

I get what you are saying. It's just that I've basically already used up that dinner money on the rest of the bag this year ;)

I gotcha. I was in the same boat as well. Where do you buy your clubs from? If you don't mind me asking.

I gotcha. I was in the same boat as well. Where do you buy your clubs from? If you don't mind me asking.

I have a PGA instructor "friend" that helps me out getting fitted in his studio whenever I want to buy something, so I've bought my irons directly from wilson/Staff, my 3wood from Dormy (biggest retailer of golf equipment in sweden) along with the wedges on sale and the hybrid I bought straight from my friend. Bought my putter from golfbidder in the UK. Wherever I get the best price really ;)

Can you game it until whoever lent it to you asks for it back? Just tell them you though it was a long-term test period.

Can you game it until whoever lent it to you asks for it back? Just tell them you though it was a long-term test period.
Sadly not. I'm heading out for another 18 holes with it tomorrow, but then I have to return it. Apparently he likes it too ;)

I've been looking at the used market for the 917 with the shaft, without or with different shafts that I can replace, but where I live the 2nd hand market on these are limited at best. Thanx for the tip. Definitely something I'll keep on the lookout for going forward

Have you looked at online retailers that sell used clubs like global golf, second swing, golfballs.com, etc

Have you looked at online retailers that sell used clubs like global golf, second swing, golfballs.com, etc
I've looked at golfbidder, but non of the US based sites. Shipping and toll tends to eat up any savings made

Back