I need a new driver

Pr3cision

Reaction score
I'm ready to buy a new driver and looking to my fellow THPers for your advice.

I have cycled through a few older and fairly cheap drivers but I think it's time to upgrade and get something nice. I have found new homes for the three that I have been cycling through which were a Cleveland CG Black 265 10.5*, TaylorMade Burner 9.5* and a Callaway FT-9 10* Draw. The Cleveland is too light, the Burner is older & not in the best shape and I don't like how the ball feels off the Hyperbolic face with the FT-9.

I'm trying to stay under $200-225. New or gently used, doesn't really matter to me. I'm about a 16 handicap.

Thank you! (y)

If you want brand new the 2 above are great and I think you could find a Ping G400 too. For gently used you can get an Epic Flash off of Callawaypreowned.com too. You have a lot of options. Given your thoughts above if you find something you may want to come back and ask about the shaft profile so you make sure whatever you find will fit the feel you are looking for.

Best piece of advice is hit as many different ones as you can to see which ones you like the feel of and look.

After that see if you can get fitted to the ones that you like

A lot of people may say use the numbers to determine which one to get, but for me if I don't like the look of the club then it doesn't give me any confidence (if that makes sense)

F9, Epic Flash and G400 - all great options for your prices.

EXS 220 is more expensive but a great driver

really hard to give any advice without knowing your performance needs. looking to add carry? more forgiveness? less spin? eliminate one side of the course?

Budget Golf or Rock Bottom will get you something new & shiny without the heavy cost..

I don't think you can go wrong with Cobra unless you are looking to lower spin. Even back to the Bio Cell, which was a great driver but just spun a tad too much for me.

In that price range you can go with those mentioned above like Tour Edge or used in Callaway Flash and Ping G400.

If at all possible, try some friends’ or playing partners’ drivers that are not from 2020. See what one give you nice playability. Then go find a used version of that one. I have let many use my driver just to check out the feel for someone playing with me.

I was in the same place this spring and went with a Cobra F9. Great driver for a great price. Their fairway woods are really good as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You might want to consider a custom made/fitted driver made from components.

You get to decide what club head you like that fits you, with a fitted shaft, and your favorite grip.

Might even save you a few bucks vs an oem big name driver.

Best cheap semi-old school: PING Raputure V2.
Best cheapish modern driver: PING G

In my humble opinion of course!

You need a fitting to be sure. All of the ones mentioned above are viable options. Don't overlook the M5 and (probably) M6 from Taylormade.

The Callaway XR16 was great and can be had in your price range easy.

No question
Ping G400! Best driver on the market for your $. It checks all the boxes

If you are willing to trade those three in (may not have huge value) but I'd bet at Ping G400 could be had at a great price. Tour Edge, Srixon, NEW Cleveland Launcher are all priced very well and would be worth a look. Could even get fit for the Cleveland being new and be set for years to come

Mizuno ST190 has great reviews and gently used is a bargain. I've played older Mizuno drivers and really liked them.

Cobra F9 is a great option and is $250 new. I think with taxes and shipping it will end up around $267. They also have a decent amount of shaft options at the base price.

Rock Bottom has some amazing deals for Fathers Day including the Tour Edge Exotics EXS for $169.99!!!

With your budget you could add the matching fairway and really spec out the bag.

You can get the Cobra F9 Speedback at Budget Golf with the THP discount for under $250.

1591385799271.png

Back